http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=18902

This is freaking sweet

My Ride
    Axis powers

Grr... I just changed all my stuff to HDMI too.. fuck sakes
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

great now bestbuy, visions, futureshop, and all those other stores can fuck themselves with their over priced cables. that cost sometimes 10-20 percent of the tv itself.

hdmi sucks, expensive nearly impossible to make a cable, expensive to wire the home, expensive to just buy a roll of it.

Wow. Makes sense. Everyone has some ethernet cable bundled up in their closet.

I was about to read this thread and be pissed off - Another connector just to make more money, to sell "newer" units with these connections, new cables, blah blah blah. Planned obsolescence. I hate it.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

""

Good Riddance.
    By DarkElfa on 7/1/2010 10:01:21 AM , Rating: 2
    I'll not miss HDMI one bit, though I can't wait for Monster Cable's $120 gold plated 2 meter cat 5 kit.

*sigh*

Pick a fricken standard, damned electronics industry.""""

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Something tells me I should buy stock in companies that make this lol. I love how he throws a finger up to Monster. Fuck those guys are retarded!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by msommers
    Something tells me I should buy stock in companies that make this lol. I love how he throws a finger up to Monster. Fuck those guys are retarded!

monsters always endup in surplus stores like princess auto its too funny.

i feel sorry for the average al & betty who go to futureshop and have smelly guy say buy a monster cable or else

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

My Ride
    NC1

Oh that is awesome! haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I guess we can look forward to gold plated high definition ethernet cables by Monster any time now.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Love to see this soon. Was wondering for a long time why they didn't adopt CAT5e which can carry 500Mbps with ease and 10GBps over CAT5e has been out of the labs for more than 5 years already.

So do our TV's now become obsolete when the new standard comes out? Won't resale value drop since HDMI would now be considered old school? I have an ethernet port on my current plasma right now, but it's not meant for audio/video. I'm also looking around for a LED for my bedroom, but thinking I should now wait if HDMI won't be the new standard, but I'd have to wait till later this year?

Same story goes with blu-ray players, PS3"s Xboxes, I'm guessing new models soon will have the option of using A/V cables, HDMI, or Ethernet cables?
    Mercs

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by mdeleon
    So do our TV's now become obsolete when the new standard comes out? Won't resale value drop since HDMI would now be considered old school? I have an ethernet port on my current plasma right now, but it's not meant for audio/video. I'm also looking around for a LED for my bedroom, but thinking I should now wait if HDMI won't be the new standard, but I'd have to wait till later this year?

Same story goes with blu-ray players, PS3"s Xboxes, I'm guessing new models soon will have the option of using A/V cables, HDMI, or Ethernet cables?
    LOL @ resale value for electronics......

I'm sure someone will make a converter to cater to people who don't want to buy new screens.

Everyone should know by now there is no such thing as futureproof in electronics. You are almost sure to buy new stuff (other than speakers) every 5 years or less.

But this CAT based tech is awesome, especially for people with house pre-wire with it.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.

My Ride
    Axis powers

kinda glad i didn't buy a new tv on the weekend, was very tempted to
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    whatever I feel like

My Ride
    XT6

I really don't see any reason to switch from HDMI to ethernet.

Every component in my house including computers run HDMI. Not worth it to change for me.

It appears all this is for new technology going forward, might see it in the next couple of years, no date given. About the time I am willing to upgrade my one year old Panny to 3D and LED. Maybe, just maybe.

Monster ought to have enough lead time to get their labels on some ethernet cables....and we can all trash it at that time.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

Im not sure if anything will happen with this standard. There is something to be said about being first in the marketplace. Sure component cables were/are capable of 1080p but hdmi is pretty much the standard for connecting your set top box/ bluray player to your tv. Most recent hd devices have an hdmi connection, who knows if this standard catches on how long it will take to get to get universal support. I know that lots of devices have a network connection but from what I understand you still need 2 connections, one for the network and the other to carry the audio/video signal.

From what I can recall this type of technology was available several years ago, or something like it. I remember there were devices that allowed you to carry hd signal over network cable. I wouldnt hold my breath, I dont think hdmi is going anywhere for a few years. Buy hdmi from monoprice and I dont think its any more expensive than any other comparable cable. HDMI wireless transmitters are out too, no more need for a wire, I havnt tried them, all I know is they are expensive.
    Last edited by mushi_mushi; 07-02-2010 at 07:45 PM.

My Ride
    Busa

It's a trap.

Putting a new connector on the cable doesn't solve the underlying problems with HDCP.

HDMI cables are dirt cheap on the internet, and HDMI<->Cat5/6 converters are widely available.

This is just another standard that will force you to upgrade EVERYTHING. That's the game they're playing at. Look at who owns the standard, Sony, Toshiba, LG. They want you to buy a whole new set of home theater gear, they could give a rats ass about the cabling.

I could see the USB thing being great for automation, and built-in ethernet great for rich interactive media on your TV, but that's 3-5 years out at best. In the interim we're looking at another set of compatibility woes while everything gets worked out.

And then rinse and repeat when HDbaseT doesn't have enough bandwidth to support the resolutions and content of tomorrow.

My Ride
    02' dc5

Shaw Direct is about to release PVR's and new recievers with all HDMI ports....guess they fail hahaha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast