Quantcast
Vibration when Braking - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Vibration when Braking

Default Vibration when Braking

In the 94 Protege, the right front wheel vibrates when i brake...
    At first it used to shake the steering which meant rotors.. so i replaced the rotors on both wheels

MUCH smoother, but now when i brake at high speeds there is still vibration... so if its not the rotors.. what could it be?

Car is fine and problem only exists when I am braking at high speeds... BUT -- its only when i push the brake pedal down 10%... When i want to brake smoothly and not hard the vibration is felt... but if i was to just brake hard and push the pedal down hard.. then it smooths out fine...

Because vibration is only when braking at high speeds + the first bit of braking.. would say its not the wheels..

Could the next option be un-even pads? (just using common sense here).. Or maybe the lug nuts aren't tight enough its causing the wheel to vibrate?

I'm not feeling it in the steering, just on the brake pedal and throughout the car... if i'm going 100+ and want to slow down gradually by pressing on the brakes it gets scary

Edit: I also changed the right wheel rotor with the left wheel rotor.. no difference problem still exists... My average joe guess is pads -- but i thought i'd ask for those who know something about cars, more than me

If it is pads.. how much do they cost?

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Didn't you replace the pads when you did the rotors? Rule of thumb: Always replace the pads when you replace or turn the rotors.

No i didn't... and found out about the rule of thumb later.. which is why I'm wondering if it could be the pads..

Or maybe I'm wrong and the vibration isn't related to brakes or specifically the front right corner.. it just seems to make sense because i feel vibration coming from there and it only happens when braking...

Anywhere that do free inspection / diagnosis to see the problem?

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

It may also be a wheel bearing but I think you would hear/feel that all the time and not just during braking. Pads would be the next thing on the list to change I would think. Some places give free estimates but you can get a set of pads for under $100 at any parts store unless you want top of the line pads.

My Ride
    2005 Yamaha R6,1999 civic b16a2 supercharged.

If you only feel the vibration in the brake pedal it's your rear brakes. uneven pads would cause over heating issues in your brakes and "pulling" under braking.
    if your lug nuts aren't tight enough you would feel that all the time not just braking.
    i would be changing out my rear brakes before it fuckes up your front again

Originally posted by =[]BARG[]=
    If you only feel the vibration in the brake pedal it's your rear brakes. uneven pads would cause over heating issues in your brakes and "pulling" under braking.
    if your lug nuts aren't tight enough you would feel that all the time not just braking.
    The body vibrates too, not just the pedal.. I meant to say that its not in the steering wheel as it was before i changed rotors

My Ride
    91 300zx tt, 2007 bmw 323i, 79 corvette

i would start by changing the pads

Edit: also kal tire will do a free brake inspection.

My Ride
    Forester STI

You might wanna get a wheel balance too
    The Lazymans Signature (tm)

My Ride
    2005 Yamaha R6,1999 civic b16a2 supercharged.

Originally posted by torob

The body vibrates too, not just the pedal.. I meant to say that its not in the steering wheel as it was before i changed rotors
    And i am saying your rear is also need to be replaces. How long did you run with the bad front brakes? I don't know how the e-brake works on a Protege but you could try and pull it up when you are moving and see if it vibrates. Is it drums brakes in the back?

The GF's car would only shimmy / shake during breaking and it was a bad wheel bearing/hub assembly (wheel speed sensor was tripping the computer ABS + Traction Lights also).

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

when my upper balljoint was going it vibrated bad too... pull you wheel off and try and move the assembly in all sorts of directions

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

My vote goes towards rear rotors and pads to inspect.

Second goes to checking the rear assembly to make sure that it is in good shape.

Lastly, i noticed that sometimes an unbalanced wheel can cause vibrations under braking. Most of the time you would notice vibrations all the time, but stranger things have happened.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Vmax

Machine the new front rotors and your problem should go away. Preferably with an on car lathe.

My Ride
    soopra

Originally posted by =[]BARG[]=

brake pedal vib is front brakes, in the body is rear.. just like wheel balance, steering wheel shimmy is front wheels, in the body is the rear wheels out of balance. check your front end components. check tie rods as well?