Quantcast
Photo of the entire Universe - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo of the entire Universe

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

Originally posted by msommers
    I'm probably not understanding it fully, but wouldn't it take millions of years for light to reach the scanner to even recognize that something is there?
    ya that's what I'm thinking too. This is only an image of our universe at that exact moment. The camera is probably missing the other 99% of the universe, assuming the universe is expanding.

there is current study, that our universe is in fact still expanding, since the big bang? some complex theories are involved, suggesting expansion in multi-dimensional ways, not simply linear (outwards), interesting stuff!

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    Now the mind fuck question:

What's outside the universe... just blackness?
    "Drive your business, let not your business drive you" ~ Benjamin Franklin

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Now the mind fuck question:

What's outside the universe... just blackness?

haha mind=blown trying to think about that
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    '93 CYM FD3S

What makes you think there isnt?
    Exactly.

My Ride
    has lace's

Originally posted by mobius

What makes you think there is an outside to the universe?
    CMBR

My Ride
    GTI

This isn't a photo like what you'd think you're getting from a camera, it measures radio waves to come up with an image.

No our galaxy isn't the white spot in the middle.

From what I've read about string theory and other similar theories there is no "outside" of the universe in the way that you would think there is an outside to your house. It exists in space and time, and outside of it there is no relative space and time, you can't obeserve it, it isn't blackness, there's just nothing there.

Part of the mindfuck is that there are several universes basically overlapping, but not really interacting except maybe through gravity, which may go through several universes which is why it's a weak force.

SOmething to read about if you want tothink about what's outside of our universe, ,look up branes, it's a part of string theory. It's suggested that they move and when they touch each other they create a universe, if that's the case I would say that is what's "outside" of our universe.

/nerd

My Ride
    1990 4runner

If any of you are in school and need electives, i would highly recommend a first year or intro astronomy course. I took one last semester and it was by far one of the most interesting courses i've taken. Space is fuggen cool.

What makes you think there isnt?

Because by definition, there isnt. Universe is defined as everything that physically exists. If anything is not in the universe it doesnt exist. Its like asking whats the integer between 1 and 2, there is none, by definition.

Originally posted by car

Because by definition, there isnt. Universe is defined as everything that physically exists. If anything is not in the universe it doesnt exist. Its like asking whats the integer between 1 and 2, there is none, by definition.
    Alright, take the word "Universe" out of it, and what happens when you reach "The edge" ? Do you hit a wall ? Do you fall into a void of nothingness? Is it just a giant black hole type energy that is circling everything and you immediately implode/explode/disintegrate?
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    German

Alright, take the word "Universe" out of it, and what happens when you reach "The edge" ? Do you hit a wall ? Do you fall into a void of nothingness? Is it just a giant black hole type energy that is circling everything and you immediately implode/explode/disintegrate?
    Maybe it will be a cycle and you'll end up where you started.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

The images are extremely old and outdated already. Don't forget it takes time for light to reach us so upon taking this picture... the Deathstar would've moved several galaxies over.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Originally posted by Travel_Dude

This sentence could be quoted as another evidence for an intelligent creator.
    Oh really? How could that quote possibly be considered evidence? We still have a lot to learn, and attributing everything to an intelligent creator is the easy way out. If everyone simply decided to have blind faith we'd still think Earth was flat.

Re: What's beyond this universe? Simple answer is we really don't know. There are some mind blowing theories out there though, one cool one is Poplawski's theory. Basically states that our universe is in a black hole, so every black hole could possibly be another universe. And who knows what's outside this black hole... Check it out: http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...le-100427.html

String theory's so intense haha. Just thinking of the basic concepts of it makes my head hurt, so incredible though. I have lots of respect for the scientists researching it.
    Last edited by Gurpy; 07-11-2010 at 12:13 AM.

This question is analogous to an ant asking "What happens when you hit the edge of the earth?"

"leaving" the surface of the earth, to an ant, seems like an impossibility, because its perception of the 3rd dimension is limited. Similarly, leaving the universe to us will seem like an impossibility, because our perception of higher dimensions (in which these things exist) is very limited.

Therefore, with our limited understanding of the higher dimensions, we really can't say that there is an outside to the universe at all. There is no edge, there is no "outside" or a wall or a void. We don't float in a black space of 3 dimensional qualities, rather we exist in a series of higher dimensions, with space-time being one of their "dimensions"
    Last edited by arian_ma; 07-12-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Originally posted by arian_ma

This question is analogous to an ant asking "What happens when you hit the edge of the earth?"

"leaving" the surface of the earth, to an ant, seems like an impossibility, because its perception of the 3rd dimension is limited. Similarly, leaving the universe to us will seem like an impossibility, because our perception of higher dimensions (in which these things exist) is very limited.

Therefore, with our limited understanding of the higher dimensions, we really can't say that there is an outside to the universe at all. There is no edge, there is no "outside" or a wall or a void. We don't float in a black space of 3 dimensional qualities, rather we exist in a series of higher dimensions, with space-time being one of their "dimensions"
    Man, space is so bloody interesting! Wish I took an astronomy course in college
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

wow!!
    haha so many theories...
    imagine living on on earth 10000 years from now,
    what humans will know then... if were still around
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by infected

Maybe it will be a cycle and you'll end up where you started.

Yeah, easy to think about it being round like the Earth, you can't hit the edge of earth.

Originally posted by Hakkola

Yeah, easy to think about it being round like the Earth, you can't hit the edge of earth.
    True enough, but if you think about it, the universe as we know it is almost like a giant globe / oval... and we're in the middle of it. So with earth its easy to say you never reach an end because you're traveling around the exterior, but lets say we lived INSIDE the earth, certainly there is an "end point" if you keep going towards the outside.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Nice Pano. Wonder if 89coupe can top that?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    GTI

True enough, but if you think about it, the universe as we know it is almost like a giant globe / oval... and we're in the middle of it. So with earth its easy to say you never reach an end because you're traveling around the exterior, but lets say we lived INSIDE the earth, certainly there is an "end point" if you keep going towards the outside.
    We don't know where the Earth is located in the universe, but I get what you're saying. However, you can't walk off the earth, regardless of whether or not you can go through it.

Maybe expansion or gravity would make it impossible to get close or to the edge of the universe, much like how it's difficult to get off of Earth.

Originally posted by Hakkola

We don't know where the Earth is located in the universe, but I get what you're saying. However, you can't walk off the earth, regardless of whether or not you can go through it.

Maybe expansion or gravity would make it impossible to get close or to the edge of the universe, much like how it's difficult to get off of Earth.
    Touche!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast