Quantcast
Calgary rodeo condemned by U.K. MPs, activists - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary rodeo condemned by U.K. MPs, activists

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

Originally posted by JustGo

If you don't understand what anyone in here has meant by 'harm', you're either retarded or intellectually dishonest.
    I asked you repeatedly for YOUR explicit definition of harm because it wasn't clear to me. So after my third failed attempt I gave my interpretation of your definition which seems to be only obvious, visible or severe physical injury. Is this inaccurate? Maybe if I ask a fourth time you'll finally give us YOUR explicit definition for the word.

Do you still claim that there is NO harm? Or in other words NO physical damage? Can you now admit that there is at the least minor harm or minor damage?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by spikers
    pretty interesting how the humane society and the SPCA are all at these events, and yet are quiet. The stampede organizers invite them to come and monitor events and the paddocks and barns to make sure the animals are treated right.

You would think that if the animals are indeed harmed, or if the animal deaths were anything but normal, they would be holding press conferences and the like.

To all the bleeding heart animal activist hippies, get off your high horse. Pun intended.
    I've always thought this too. One one side of the argument you've got thousands of farmers, ranchers, cowboys, stock contractors, rodeo organizers, vets, handlers, etc., who are involved every day, and on the other side you've got a bunch of city kids. Why do they think they know better?

To mx73someday: I don't know why you feel that you're owed a definition, but as has been said you've been given plenty of opportunities to figure it out. It's not up to us to hold your hand through it. This thread will go a thousand pages with you asking for something that's already been given. It doesn't matter to anyone that you don't understand.

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

Originally posted by SKR

To mx73someday: I don't know why you feel that you're owed a definition, but as has been said you've been given plenty of opportunities to figure it out. It's not up to us to hold your hand through it. This thread will go a thousand pages with you asking for something that's already been given. It doesn't matter to anyone that you don't understand.
    I never claimed I was owed a definition and the pro-side never defined it explicitly. Show me where it's already been given! If that was the case someone would have replied with it by now to stop me from asking for the millionth time. The entire argument hinges on that word and that's why JustGo has avoided giving his definition.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by mx73someday
    I never claimed I was owed a definition and the pro-side never defined it explicitly. Show me where it's already been given! If that was the case someone would have replied with it by now to stop me from asking for the millionth time. The entire argument hinges on that word and that's why JustGo has avoided giving his definition.
    The only thing that matters is whether or not rodeo falls under the definition of harm, and that has been discussed. The entire definition of harm isn't relevant to any argument except for whatever you're trying to bait someone into, which so far no one is interested in.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Just got back into town now. So what was the final death toll for the horse s this year? Do I owe nonlinear a $100?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    1990 4runner

In addition to the bad weather, six horses died during the 10-day event, prompting animal rights groups to call for a ban on the chuckwagon races and calf-roping and steer-wrestling.
    from cbc. IIRC you bet 8? lol

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by nonlinear
    another horse died yesterday, bringing the Annual Stampede Horse Death Count to 5.

heck, since it's ok to kill animals for entertainment, I think we should start placing bets on the 2010 ASHDC total.

I'm gonna put $100 on 2010 ASHDC total = 8.
    Originally posted by codetrap

I'll take that bet.
    Nonlinear bet that there was 8. He was wrong, so I'm up $100! Woot! Where do you want to hook up to pay up? Or better yet. Just post a photo of your receipt for a $100 donation to the Calgary SPCA!

Here's the link to donate!
    Last edited by codetrap; 07-19-2010 at 08:44 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by codetrap

Nonlinear bet that there was 8. He was wrong, so I'm up $100! Woot! Where do you want to hook up to pay up? Or better yet. Just post a photo of your receipt for a $100 donation to the Calgary SPCA!

Here's the link to donate!
    He is all talk as long as he is behind a keyboard. He will wuss out and not make the donation. But kudos to you for making the donation as well!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Originally posted by mx73someday

Avoided? How about I've been busy and haven't had a chance to.

Well, small price to pay to make you realize you're a tool.

Here we go.

If you've ever seen calf roping, the calf is more concerned with trying to get away then it is about it's 'severe spinal chord damage'. And why is it trying to get away? Because it's in pain? No. But because it's scared.
    Definition of harm:

harm
    /h?rm/ Show Spelled[hahrm] Show IPA
    –noun
    physical injury or mental damage; hurt: to do him bodily harm.

How it relates to this post:

Severe spinal chord damage would be harm (see above definition). Any sort of PAIN would be harm (see above definition).

If they were harmed in any way, the owners wouldn't be allowing them to be used, because as has been said a few times already, these animals are their livelyhood.
    Definition of harm:

harm
    –noun

How it relates to this post: Anything that would damage the value of an animal. Anything at all. Any physical deformities, muscle damage, tissue damage, ability for the animal to perform. Anything that would affect the animal for longer than a few seconds.

the cows will need extensive psychological therapy for life. Or until they forget what happened 5 minutes later. That is the only 'harm'. There is no physical 'harm'. As in they don't need to go to the vet afterwards. They are scared for 5-10 seconds... so they may need to see a shrink within that first 5 minutes after... or if they don't, they get over it themselves. They are cows. Quite resilient beasts.

...it's NOT causing these animals disabilities, disfigurements or lasting emotional trauma. It's just not.
    Definition of harm:

harm
    –noun

How it relates to this post: Well, I thought it was pretty self explanatory, but apparently not if you're retarded. Read it again, and let me know if you need me to break it down further for you. I can even draw you a diagram if you want. Maybe an interpretive dance.

There are several other posts of mine, in this very thread, that indicate what an animal goes through and does NOT go through in these events. Be it pain, harm, injury or death. If you still can't figure it out, based upon all the information and examples I have provided, you are beyond help.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    Highlander

Anyone who still doubts that these animals have a great life, are treated very well and love their 'job' should have been at the rodeo yesterday. They retired a very very VERY well respected animal athlete. This horse is a 6 time stampede champion, a several time world champion, a several time canadian champion, and the list goes on. Just the name 'Grated Coconut' in the rodeo world is enough to bring on an awe of respect. Want to know why he's retiring? Because they have seen that he is more interested in spending time with mares. They aren't going to force him to do something when he'd much rather be elsewhere.

Anyways, they showed a video clip of him over the years, told the rodeo noobs a little about this horse and what it's achievements are, and then they brought him out. No saddle, no flanks, not even a bridle or a rider. They just let him go and be on his own in the arena. Almost immediately he starts playing. Running up to the cowboys and other horses, bucking all over the place (out of his own desire, not because anyone is making him) and any person in that arena could see that he was having the time of his life. By the time he went to the gate so he could head back to the barn, I'd say more than half the people in the audience (who had any notion of what this horse has been to this sport) was teary eyed. It was amazing, I truly wish I had gotten the whole thing on video, just to be able to show you guys that these animals DO love what they do. I'm trying to find a video online but no luck yet.

He gets to spend the rest of his days milling around a pasture mating with the mares. Not a bad way to spend his retirement.

http://www.nwhorsesource.com/news/us...nto-retirement

Originally posted by Melinda
    Anyone who still doubts that these animals have a great life, are treated very well and love their 'job' should have been at the rodeo yesterday. They retired a very very VERY well respected animal athlete. This horse is a 6 time stampede champion, a several time world champion, a several time canadian champion, and the list goes on. Just the name 'Grated Coconut' in the rodeo world is enough to bring on an awe of respect. Want to know why he's retiring? Because they have seen that he is more interested in spending time with mares. They aren't going to force him to do something when he'd much rather be elsewhere.

Anyways, they showed a video clip of him over the years, told the rodeo noobs a little about this horse and what it's achievements are, and then they brought him out. No saddle, no flanks, not even a bridle or a rider. They just let him go and be on his own in the arena. Almost immediately he starts playing. Running up to the cowboys and other horses, bucking all over the place (out of his own desire, not because anyone is making him) and any person in that arena could see that he was having the time of his life. By the time he went to the gate so he could head back to the barn, I'd say more than half the people in the audience (who had any notion of what this horse has been to this sport) was teary eyed. It was amazing, I truly wish I had gotten the whole thing on video, just to be able to show you guys that these animals DO love what they do. I'm trying to find a video online but no luck yet.

He gets to spend the rest of his days milling around a pasture mating with the mares. Not a bad way to spend his retirement.

http://www.nwhorsesource.com/news/us...nto-retirement
    the same goes for pit fighting dogs.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

TURD-BURGLAR.

jk.

But I doubt pit fighting dogs get the same luxuries.

Also, those calf-roping calves turn out to be tasty hamburgers.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

I watched the CBC's Sunday afternoon round-up coverage and I can't recall one situation where any of the animals involved being abused or looking like they were 'frightened' or 'in pain' or anything of that sort.

Oh well, everyone can crawl back under their rocks for another year.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

really? REALLY?

after all the verbal babble and non-sense you have spewed in this thread, you have been reduced to that. you can't even stay on topic now.

I would go further but you just are not worth the effort.

GG.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

you make that donation yet?

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

So are we going to have a similar uproar over the various horse racing events that occur all over the world? Likely not.

After reading all the garbage being posted by idiots at CBC and the comments, its truly disgusting.

How many horses died at Woodbine last year, 10? I bet this does not make big news in the pro east, anti west news rags of this country.

Guess we should be banning this barbaric use of animals for entertainment also. Hypocrites.

so this grated coconut horse was a STALLION. Melinda, you tried very hard to paint me as an idiot in this thread, saying that only mares and geldings are used for the bucking competitions. it looks like you were wrong, however. a mature person would apologize for acting like such a b****, but i'm not expecting anything from you.

Originally posted by spikers

really? REALLY?

after all the verbal babble and non-sense you have spewed in this thread, you have been reduced to that. you can't even stay on topic now.

I would go further but you just are not worth the effort.

GG.
    stay on topic? since you obviously can't understand what I mean, let me make it clear:

i'm saying that just because there was some silly rodeo animal retirement ceremony at the stampede, and just because said horse gets to "mill around a pasture mating with the mares," ( ), it doesn't mean that all rodeo events are humane. champion pit fighters are also retired and studded out, but that doesn't make dog fighting OK.

My Ride
    Highlander

so this grated coconut horse was a STALLION. Melinda, you tried very hard to paint me as an idiot in this thread, saying that only mares and geldings are used for the bucking competitions. it looks like you were wrong, however. a mature person would apologize for acting like such a b****, but i'm not expecting anything from you.

stay on topic? since you obviously can't understand what I mean, let me make it clear:

i'm saying that just because there was some silly rodeo animal retirement ceremony at the stampede, and just because said horse gets to "mill around a pasture mating with the mares," ( ), it doesn't mean that all rodeo events are humane. champion pit fighters are also retired and studded out, but that doesn't make dog fighting OK.
    Really? You expect an appology after essentially calling me a bitch and doubting that I have any personal tact?

For the record, no where did I say ONLY mares were used, I just said it wasn't always stallions, therefore the testicle thing is a totally moot point. However, if it did come off to you as me saying ONLY mares were used, then I appologize for the misunderstanding.

As for the last part of that, you obviously have totally missed the entire point of my post about Grated Coconut's retirement moment. What happens to him afterwards wasnt really the point at all, it was just an added bonus at the end.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

you are one of the better trolls that I have seen, at least man up and pay the $100, Im sure its worth it for the entertainment (?) you get from trolling beyond. BTW, youre the one acting like a bitch, why don't you quit worrying about such an insignificant thing and devote your energy to a cause with some meaning other than making yourself feel good.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

no one here is talking about dog fighting, and it is only you going off on that tangent.

so, the inhumane and cruel and harming sports that you initially quoted, like calf roping and steer wrestling, how many injured animals were there? did any have to be put down? Did the SPCA or the Humane Society hold any press conferences about the deplorable or inhumane treatment of the livestock?

With the exception of the one horse that broke it's own back, and from what i was told the cinch had been removed before the incident, how many deaths happened at the stampede that were not natural?

How many people are going to have to call you out before you get out from under the bridge, stop trying to scare billy goats, and you pay up your $100 debt? Or are you going to ignore this part of my post like you have ignored every other mention of owing $100.

I would like to put forward the motion that if Nonlinear can not provide proof of his debt being paid by Friday @ 5, that he be banned.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast