Quantcast
Android Apps - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 17 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Apps

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Android Apps

As we all know that there are tons of threads for the iPhone talking about the apps they have and stuff.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where everyone who owns an Android phone can talk about the apps they have and think are useful. I posted this in the N1 thread but rather not cluster it with general App discussion. Maybe we'll be able to find a couple of good one's, in case we haven't come across them yet.

Guess I'll start...so far these are the one's I use.

Movies - Same as iphone one. Love it, shows movie times/theatres/trailers everything.

Shazam - Same as iphone one again. Awesome if you want to know what some song is.

Zedge - For ringtones and wallpapers. Popular phone website zedge.com's on app.

Toss It - Game, just like paper toss. Not too bad if you're bored.

ThrottleCopter - Game I used to play on computer long time ago. Touch the screen chopper goes up, let it go it comes down. You've got to avoid the obstacles.

Super K.O Kid- Fairly decent boxing game, there is a free version too. Although the opponents are getting almost too hard as I am advancing through.

Dictionary.com - Self explanatory....

Score Mobile - For all sports needs....

IMDb - Just like the website, has everything you may need to know.

Advanced Task Manager - Kills the tasks that don't need to be running. Pretty handy cause you can make a widget and just click it and it tells you, 'so many number of tasks killed'. It's paid but there is a free version as well.

File Manager - Self explanatory

Installer - For installing apk files from the SD card

My Ride
    Busa

TeslaLED - Turns your phone into a flash light. Can also activate the camera flash for a brighter light or flash a message in Morse code in case the aliens invade.

Astrid - Task manager, syncs with remember the milk, open source & free

WaveSecure - Allows remote tracking, wiping and locking of phone

ConnectBot - SSH terminal that supports SSH tunnels

I still have not found a decent RDP client yet, but I also refuse to pay $20 for a RDP client, when the protocol is well documented and free clients exists on virtually every other platform known to man.

My Ride
    Hybrid

AK notepad - just a text notepad

Astrid Tasks - To Do List

Astro - File manager

Barcode Scanner/Google Shopper/Shop Savvy - Scan barcodes for product info and price comparisons

Key Ring - Stores all your barcode based reward cards so you don't have to carry them in your wallet

Movies - already covered

Newsrob - RSS reader, syncs to Google Reader

Paper Toss - game

Shazam - already covered

Smooth Calendar - puts my next 3 appointments in a widget on my home screen

TD - mobile banking

WaveSecure - already covered

Urbanspoon - would add this if i wasn't still on 1.5

Any really handy widgets?
    Currently I have: HTC stock widget, bookmarks, search, wifi & gps switches, HTC clock w/ built in weather, smooth calendar, HTC calendar, HTC music, Astrid, HTC photo album
    Last edited by Strider; 07-13-2010 at 01:57 PM.

My Ride
    10 WRX

Battery Life - Battery widget, takes up 2 spaces, tells you voltage and temperature of battery also.

Bloo - App for facebook, a lot better than the native android version

DailyStrip - Popular comics viewer

Fancy Widget - HTC styled clock with weather and date. Takes up 2 rows.

FeedR - Good news reader

SystemPanel - Task manager/apps installer, comes with widget to clear all active apps

Touchdown - Good Microsoft Exchange app, alot better than Moxier
    Last edited by Dehvee; 07-13-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Aldiko (ebook reader): I'm not much of a reader but wow, I've been reading lots with this app. It is awesome and I found a source for free books!

Slacker Radio: great internet radio app. I'd rather use pandora or last.fm but being in canada you can't. This app does a great job instead!

Tasker: This is one of my favourite apps! A little confusing but so powerful. You can task anything. For example when it detects my wifi at work it mutes my ringer. Then when I leave range it returns to wherever I had the volume before! You can task events based on so many situations such as GPS location, application event or even headphones being plugged/unplugged just to name a few. I always hate when I unplug my headphones with music playing and it starts playing through the phone. Depending on where you are this can be a bit embarrassing. With tasker I have it mute my audio when I unplug my headphones. Works amazing!

My Ride
    Sentra

FYI, you do NOT need a task manager. Totally unnecessary.

Pure Calendar Widget - fully customizable multi sized widget
    Astrid - tasks, I sync with a free rememberthemilk.com account
    Handcent SMS - nicer looking customizable iphone like threaded sms app
    Twidroyd - twitter
    IMDB - FAST app, use it while watching tv and movies all the time to look up where I've seen an actor before
    XDA
    Movies
    Solitaire - solitaire and free cell games
    Astro - file manager
    Boot Control - widget to boot directly into recovery console, reboot, or power down
    Data Counter - widget just to see how much data is used via wifi and 3g, kinda useless cause I'm on unlimited data
    Beautiful Widgets - the original 'HTC Sense' clock, weather widget, plus comes with widgets for wifi, silent & airplane mode, bluetooth & gps toggles, etc. Community driven downloaded themes, clocks, weather icons etc
    Feedr - rss reader
    FoxyRing - automatically sets my ringer volume based on the noise level
    Gmail Notifier - better notifications for email, notifies each time one comes in, can repeat notifications

Theres really too much to list! I use the usual apps too, wavesecure, barcode reader, apps to auto backup my sms to a gmail account, various other games, very long list.

Originally posted by GoChris

Theres really too much to list! I use the usual apps too, wavesecure, barcode reader, apps to auto backup my sms to a gmail account, various other games, very long list.
    What app do you use for SMS backup? I used dexrex on my blackberry but I've had nothing but troubles with the android version.

My Ride
    This and that.

I guess if I don't need the task manager, I can get rid of it. It was free anyway. Plus whenever I press the widget and it says 'closed whatever number of apps', sort of gives me some satisfaction. lol

Do you guys have your sms settings to default? I.e. start deleting after 200 messages? Or is it to never or something? I left it on default, don't want the phone to slow down eventually after adding up on all those text messages.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by dr_jared88

What app do you use for SMS backup? I used dexrex on my blackberry but I've had nothing but troubles with the android version.
    SMSToMailbox, check your pm.

Originally posted by shakalaka
    I guess if I don't need the task manager, I can get rid of it. It was free anyway. Plus whenever I press the widget and it says 'closed whatever number of apps', sort of gives me some satisfaction. lol

Do you guys have your sms settings to default? I.e. start deleting after 200 messages? Or is it to never or something? I left it on default, don't want the phone to slow down eventually after adding up on all those text messages.
    I have mine at 200 now, I actually ran out of sms space and couldn't receive anymore until I cleared them up. 200 is more than enough and as mentioned I have them all backed up to a gmail account as soon as I receive or send one.

Originally posted by GoChris

SMSToMailbox, check your pm.

I have mine at 200 now, I actually ran out of sms space and couldn't receive anymore until I cleared them up. 200 is more than enough and as mentioned I have them all backed up to a gmail account as soon as I receive or send one.
    I had something similar for SMS backup but now i use wave secure. It backs up contacts, SMS/MMS, and call logs..

Performs the backup everytime the phone is plugged in.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

App Organizer - folders for your apps

Album Art Grabber - grabs album art..........

Beautiful Widgets - best time/weather widget, mentioned already

Extended Controls - like the power/settings bar but customizable, also includes flash options for flashlight etc.

Pure calendar widget - best looking interface, mentined already

TiKL - i cannot stress enough how kickass this push to talk app is.

xscope - Currently the best browser replacement.

Setcpu - adjusts the clocks during certain times/states (i put it to 245 clock while screen off and battery lasts 4 hours longer)

AdFree - blocks all the stupid ad's that free apps put on your phone

SpareParts - adds a few extra options like speed up animations to make your phone re-act faster.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    This and that.

^AdFree sounds good! Gonna get that.

The TiKL sounds awesome...but I have no one I know with an Android phone to do the PTT with. lol

That Wave secure app isn't that the same one that allows you to track your phone and stuff if get's stolen? Can this be used for saving sms's as well then? I would like to do that back up all my texts and stuff considering they will keep it on getting deleted after they reach 200. What's the best app for that?

On a side note downloaded that SWYPE keyboard, anyone else use it yet? Pretty cool I guess. Although don't know if I am going to keep it or go back to normal, especially cause it's taking 7mb on my phone and can't be moved to SD card.

Any recommendations for an App that will sync my android with my itunes (preferably free)? I've seen a couple cool ones that you need to pay for that sync over wifi which would be nice.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by shakalaka
    On a side note downloaded that SWYPE keyboard, anyone else use it yet? Pretty cool I guess. Although don't know if I am going to keep it or go back to normal, especially cause it's taking 7mb on my phone and can't be moved to SD card.
    I only use swype, it's super fast for typing. bit slower for putting in numbers and non words, but for texting nothing beats it.

Why do you need to move everything to your SD card, how is your phone full? I have almost 100 apps and I have room still.

My Ride
    Grimace

I guess the swiftkey beta has just come out now also, might be something else to try after swype

^^ JUST downloaded it, will try it out for today

My Ride
    Busa

Has anyone found anything that does the equivalent of IntelliScreen on the iPhone?

Basically displays unread e-mails, sms, calendar appointments and weather on the lock screen.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
    Has anyone found anything that does the equivalent of IntelliScreen on the iPhone?

Basically displays unread e-mails, sms, calendar appointments and weather on the lock screen.
    http://www.myflyscreen.com/

My Ride
    Grimace

Whoa, I have been giving swiftkey a try this morning. So fast, and it can analyze your previous sms so it predicts very accurately. I am pretty much just hitting a few letters each word, and works great with my fat fingers even in portrait.

My Ride
    Sentra

Someone was asking about an RDP client, Wyse is a free one and works well.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 11 ... LastLast