7 43.75%
  • No, and 16GB HDD is plenty

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ipad vs ipad 3g

My Ride
    SRT

Default ipad vs ipad 3g

Is the 3G option worth it? You could always tether from your phone and give it wifi so you dont really need to get a plan for it unless you want to waste money... but what do you think?

if you do tether, can you use maps properly on a wifi only ipad? will it display your location just like on the iphone or close? it might be even better if it did, since you're also using the phone's gps instead of just cell towers

if you get a 3g ipad and jailbreak it, can you run that mywifi (i think) app from cydia that lets you tether your connection? that would be nice if it worked

What does 16gb hdd have to do with 3g?

If you can tether -- then it seems really pointless to get the 3g.. given you have your phone with you all the time .. and i'd like to think thats the point of it

I remember i checked to tether my HTC Touch with the ipad.. (i have unlimited browsing)... and there was a way (guide on google) but i never tried it..

My guess is.. if its available for blackberries / winmo phones.. then it must be available for iphone... then it would seem best to not bother with 3g and use phone to tether.. its wireless too -- harmless

My Ride
    SRT

sorry i wasnt explicit... i was thinking at 3 options for myself:

-the 16gb wifi only
    -16gb 3g
    -32gb wifi only for the difference between 16gb wifi only and 16b w/3g

so can the ipad tether if you unlock it? even if it cant now because cydia apps haven't all been optimized for ipad, theoretically should it work in the future? is that worth it if you can tether from your phone and give wifi for any other reason other than lets say you can use maps on the go in the car and have a bigger screen to look at rather than the phone screen?
    Last edited by riceeater; 07-13-2010 at 08:12 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Where is the "save your money and don't bother with the damn thing.." option?

Get the cheapest one you can get, if you can tether there is no point of having an extra wireless plan. In all reality the fad will wear off and it will just sit collecting dust, so why spend more money than you need.
    Last edited by eblend; 07-13-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Typing this from my 32gig 3G iPad right now. I think 3G is worth it. I have the $15 data plan on mine from Rogers. Also resale value on the 3G ipad will be better. If you don't need too much space then just get the 16gig with 3G. I take mine everywhere, it rocks....

Waiting for multi tasking in the fall...

Good luck....

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by ICEBERG
    Typing this from my 32gig 3G iPad right now. I think 3G is worth it. I have the $15 data plan on mine from Rogers. Also resale value on the 3G ipad will be better. If you don't need too much space then just get the 16gig with 3G. I take mine everywhere, it rocks....

Good luck....
    i hear that you can already multitask if you jailbreak it and use one of the cydia multitask programs.... but yeah, it'd be nice to work like the iphone os4, which seems a lot better now that apps are being updated to take advantage of it
    Last edited by riceeater; 07-14-2010 at 12:05 AM.

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by eblend
    Where is the "save your money and don't bother with the damn thing.." option?

Get the cheapest one you can get, if you can tether there is no point of having an extra wireless plan. In all reality the fad will wear off and it will just sit collecting dust, so why spend more money than you need.
    well, i was going to replace my laptop but i started thinking that i dont really need a full laptop anymore coz i hardly ever play games now. so just to surf, watch video and other "light" activities i think a pad will work a lot better... on trips it's light, and 10h battery life while watching video means it'll outlast almost any flight.... plus i'm taking some courses at the u of c, and i can see it being usefull to pull up powerpoints and stuff during class, or working on projects on the go without dragging a big ass laptop around.... at 549 for the base model, it's not bad compared to a laptop
    Last edited by riceeater; 07-14-2010 at 12:11 AM.

The 3G iPad also has a builtin GPS module. So you'll get a better lock on your location than the Wifi iPad.

Other than that - I have the Wifi iPad and just use MyWi to tether with my iPhone. Works good enough for me.

Damn that Veggie Samurai game is addicting!

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Originally posted by ICEBERG
    I take mine everywhere, it rocks....

Reading shit like this always blows my fucking mind.

I vote for "don't buy the damn thing".
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

Originally posted by TorqueDog

EDIT: Had to edit my post.. Don't want to get into a Pi$$ing contest...
    Last edited by ICEBERG; 07-14-2010 at 11:21 AM.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Save up and buy atleast the 32gb 3g. the 3G, yeah it costs money each month for a data plan. But at the same time you get 3g speeds basically everywhere. You aren't limited by wifi.

Or you could just buy a macbook...
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by TorqueDog

having a bmw i'm sure you know about resale value... yeah the ipad doesn't do everything but whatever, it should hold it's value like the iphone so it should be easy to sell for a decent price when the next one comes out or when a clearly better alternative arives... a laptop you can throw away a couple years after buying it, a pad you can keep for a year, flip, get the new model again and keep going... say you lose $200-$250 during each flip... that's not bad at all, over 2 years it's cheaper than buying laptops and watching them turn into paperweights

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by dino_martini
    Save up and buy atleast the 32gb 3g. the 3G, yeah it costs money each month for a data plan. But at the same time you get 3g speeds basically everywhere. You aren't limited by wifi.
    how big are movies when you convert them in ipad format? I mostly want cartoons and tv shows on it, with the odd movie.. i'm used to the small file sizes when you convert for the iphone, but i just realized that on the ipad they'd have to be bigger if you really want to take advantage of the screen..... 16gb sounded like plenty, but now i wonder

Google "Ipod Touch vs Iphone" and you will have all your answers.

Originally posted by riceeater

how big are movies when you convert them in ipad format? I mostly want cartoons and tv shows on it, with the odd movie.. i'm used to the small file sizes when you convert for the iphone, but i just realized that on the ipad they'd have to be bigger if you really want to take advantage of the screen..... 16gb sounded like plenty, but now i wonder
    If you are not planing on putting lot of pictures and MP3's on it then you should be fine with the 16 gig. Odd movie here there is not going to fill it up. The apps are not very big either. SO for a casual user i say 16 gig's should be enough.

I have 32gig on mine, so far i used about 6gigs. I have couple movies and about 200 MP3's. Not too many pictures. Also i have about 80 apps on there with some big games.

So i think 16gigs will be fine.

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by spike98
    Google "Ipod Touch vs Iphone" and you will have all your answers.
    there are small differences.... you can run frash supposetly on the ipad if you jailbreak it, so you can use flash.... and multi-task.... and use powerpoint, "word", etc... plus the ipad only apps... i wasn't sure if you could run miwi on the 3g model to create and broadcast a wifi network, and i still haven't found an answer googling... anyone know?
    Last edited by riceeater; 07-14-2010 at 11:59 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Here's the deal. I was an iPad skeptic. It is expensive for what it is and it doesn't support flash. But now I get it why people love IOS. And with RDP and Citrix receiver, I'm never more than a click away from a Win7 Desktop.

The form factor is perfect. When I VAGCOM my car, the reference page is on the iPad and VCDS on my netbook. So much less hassle switching between windows.

Media is still Apple's stronghold. There isn't a device out there that will play 720p video for 6+hrs on 1 charge. Even my 6cell netbook can't.

I went for the 64GB and skip 3G and go for tether instead. I found that I more likely need 3G on my phone than iPad. 90% I'll be within Wifi range when I use the iPad.

And 64GB because I have the camera connection kit. It serve as picture backup on short trips. 64GB should last me about 1-2 weeks of RAW photos.

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Here's the deal. I was an iPad skeptic. It is expensive for what it is and it doesn't support flash. But now I get it why people love IOS. And with RDP and Citrix receiver, I'm never more than a click away from a Win7 Desktop.

The form factor is perfect. When I VAGCOM my car, the reference page is on the iPad and VCDS on my netbook. So much less hassle switching between windows.

Media is still Apple's stronghold. There isn't a device out there that will play 720p video for 6+hrs on 1 charge. Even my 6cell netbook can't.

I went for the 64GB and skip 3G and go for tether instead. I found that I more likely need 3G on my phone than iPad. 90% I'll be within Wifi range when I use the iPad.

And 64GB because I have the camera connection kit. It serve as picture backup on short trips. 64GB should last me about 1-2 weeks of RAW photos.
    questions:

-1: did you get Frash to work on your ipad?
    -2: was thinking about remote desktopping, but figured that it wasnt that important... but it's nice to hear it works
    -3: the reason i'm wondering if the ipad 3g can run miwi is because the ipad itself comes carrier unlocked, so when travelling, if your phone isn't unlocked, you can get a sim for the ipad and have internet which you can also share With the iphone you never know when for whatever reason you have to restore your phone and relock it, and maybe there isn't an unlock yet, just when you need to travel. I think this might actually be the deciding factor here for me!

My Ride
    Bicycle

1. No, didn't jailbreak mine.... yet

3. Nexus one.

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Originally posted by riceeater
    having a bmw i'm sure you know about resale value... yeah the ipad doesn't do everything but whatever, it should hold it's value like the iphone so it should be easy to sell for a decent price when the next one comes out or when a clearly better alternative arives... a laptop you can throw away a couple years after buying it, a pad you can keep for a year, flip, get the new model again and keep going... say you lose $200-$250 during each flip... that's not bad at all, over 2 years it's cheaper than buying laptops and watching them turn into paperweights

I was talking about it stupifying it is that people buy these half-asses products still. No multitasking out of the box, give me a friggin' break!

Resale value on electronics drops to NIL once the next generation product gets released. Apple seemingly circumvents this by having droves of blindly loyal, bat-shit crazy fans willing to overpay for what is essentially a gigantic iPod Touch. And yes, I've used one.

Watching laptops turn into paperweights in two years? I guarantee that in two years, my laptop will still be able to do anything I want to throw at it, which is already more than what can be said for the iPad.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast