Quantcast
5 x 5 Strong Life - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 x 5 Strong Life

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Same problem for me with overhead press. My back/abs is weak so the back arches back. Not good form. May be seated press will work although it doesn't hit the core/stabilizing muscles the same.

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by stevieo
    I think it's time I look for a weight lifting belt now, any recommendations?
    I would recommend staying away from belts, straps and such. They keep weak muscles weak. For any real world use of your muscles you obviously do not want weak links, unless you're going to carry a belt around with you everywhere you go just in case you need to lift something heavy.

Get the core strong and build things up properly so a belt is never needed.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

So you are saying for deadlifts not to use wrist straps?

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

Originally posted by duaner

I would recommend staying away from belts, straps and such. They keep weak muscles weak. For any real world use of your muscles you obviously do not want weak links, unless you're going to carry a belt around with you everywhere you go just in case you need to lift something heavy.

Get the core strong and build things up properly so a belt is never needed.
    sounds good man, I will stay away from the belt. I don't use straps, gloves or anything either. all right, thanks for the advice guys.

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    So you are saying for deadlifts not to use wrist straps?
    Yes. I used to go up to 275 on deadlifts, no straps, and I never once had an issue with grip. Not that that is monster weight or anything. And I did reverse the grip between hands to help keep the bar from rotating.

One thing I used to do for fun, thinking it may help my grip, was to go to a squat rack, set the bar just below arms length, load it up with 320+ lbs or so, and lift it, just standing there. It felt like I was getting pulled into the ground but I just held on as long as I could.

Whether it helped my grip or not, I don't know.

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by stevieo

sounds good man, I will stay away from the belt. I don't use straps, gloves or anything either. all right, thanks for the advice guys.

I think gloves are okay as they help with grip and keeping the bar from spinning in your hands. I haven't used them in a very long time but they do help, especially with longer fingers like mine when using non-Olympic bars. It's like increasing the diameter of the bar and it prevented my fingernails from digging into my palms.

Straps may help when getting into extremely heavy weights but I don't think a beginner or even intermediate needs them and in the end, they will create a weak link for any real life application.

But that's all just my opinion. Wait and see what others may say.

My Ride
    NC1

Don't wear gloves.

http://stronglifts.com/3-reasons-dea...-gloves-sucks/

1. Gloves Kill Grip Strength – thicker bars are harder to grip. Gloves add inches to the bar which will kill your grip strength on pulling exercises like Deadlifts, Rows or Pullups. And if you can’t hold it, you can’t lift it.

2. Gloves Screw Your Technique – the thickness of the gloves will make it impossible to keep the bar close to your wrists on the press and bench. Your wrist will roll back as a result and this can cause wrist pain.

3. Gloves Don’t Prevent Callus - the fact is that you will get callus on your hands whether you wear gloves or not. You’re actually much more likely to get callus because you won’t be able to Deadlift with the bar correctly in your hands. So then why lift wearing gloves?
    http://stronglifts.com/gain-strength...lifting-belts/

Research by Dr Stuart McGill, author of The Ultimate Back and Fitness Performance Fitness Pro and professor of spine biomechanics, shows that if you injure yourself while wearing a belt, the injury will be more severe than if you weren’t wearing one. This does NOT mean you shouldn’t wear a belt, this just means that proper technique, optimal mobility, glute activation, etc are crucial.

Dr Stuart McGill’s research also clearly shows that you can lift more weight when using a belt. Nothing ground-breaking here, everybody knows that already. Belts increase abdominal pressure, which increases torso stability, and which thus allows you to lift more weight. On the Squat and Deadlift, introducing the use of a belt almost always adds at least 25lb to your max instantly.
    So in other words, nail down your form, use a belt for your max efforts.

I found a used Schiek belt online for $12 and it works great. I only use it when I'm lifting close to my max.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    bmw m3

I see some pretty high squat numbers but also see lots of the guys at the gym doing these partial squats.
    Drop the weight ass to the ground.

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

Ya, after reading the strong lifts PDF and watching videos etc I go full squat make sure I go below parallel, I also see huge guys racking bars with 2+ 45 lb plates per side and barely squatting a few inches lower than they stand fully upright. If I'm gonna work out I'm gonna do it right and go all the way. Thanks for advice and suggestions guys!

My Ride
    TypeR

yeah always go low just make sure you stop once your ass dips below your leg. as long as they are in line with each other your fine. When the ass dips under you need to improve your flexibility in your hips

My Ride
    NC1

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    I am user #49

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

so for the overhead press i seem to have stalled, i can't finish 5x5 of 100lbs.

i am going to be deloading tonight, is it 10 or 20 percent/

and when do i move in to the 3x5/ is it sets x reps/

sorry i spilled my water into the keyboard and i can't hit any question mark signs haha. so the slash is the question mark

My Ride
    NC1

stevieo, try de-loading 20% first. I didn't read Mehdi's 3X5 but I believe Wendler's 5/3/1 is very similar.

My first time I stalled at 85X5 but I switched to 5/3/1 and got up to 105X5. Now I'm de-loading again hoping to break through.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Rock climbing is fun and REALLY improves grip strength. I found I developed huge calluses at the base of my fingers strictly from deadlights...you can tell how sissy my hands have got since I've stopped lifting heavy lol
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

Originally posted by max_boost
    stevieo, try de-loading 20% first. I didn't read Mehdi's 3X5 but I believe Wendler's 5/3/1 is very similar.

My first time I stalled at 85X5 but I switched to 5/3/1 and got up to 105X5. Now I'm de-loading again hoping to break through.
    K, thanks Sam.

I'd like to give it 5/3/1 a try after I stall on everything else. Squatting 180 today felt pretty good. I'm hoping I can at least hit 200 before I have to de-load. My bench numbers I'm sure can still go up, the barbell rows are getting hard haha have a feeling I'm gonna stall and have to de-load on the barbell row in a couple weeks. I'll try to search more up on what to do some more.

Thanks Sam

I'm going to start this tomorrow but I was wondering if I can use fixed barbells for overhead press and rows or should I use the regular one?

Also should I start with 95lb for deadlift and 65lb for the rest even though I can do more? I want to focus more on my form to start.

nvm should have kept reading ...

I therefore urge you to start with the empty Olympic barbell on the Squat, Bench and Overhead Press. It may feel too light at first, but this will allow you to practice correct technique. On the Deadlift and Barbell Row you should start with 95lbs/65lbs respectively
    Last edited by beecue; 06-04-2011 at 08:39 PM.

My Ride
    R50

Finished 3mths of strong life a while back. I liked the logic behind the program so I looked for more 5x5 programs online and stumbled onto this one. Didn't do a lot of modifications to it other than Day 2 where I've added a few quick rounds of arm isolation, plus some isolated ab work at the end.

Basically I'll be adding 5lbs each day until I fail, then retry 3 times before deloading just like strong life 5x5. The reason I'm doing this is to add a bit more variety and slow down the 10-15lb/wk increases from strong life. Of all places, the consistent squats always killed the soles of my feet the next day... Maybe i need better shoes... lol

Day1
    Bench Press
    Dumbbell Bent-Over Row
    Barbell Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    Turkish Get-up (2x5)

Day2
    Weighted Dips
    Weighted Chin-ups
    Barbell Deadlift
    Bi/Tri/shoulder Playtime! (2x10 for each muscle)
    P90x's Ab Ripper

Day3
    Incline Bench Press
    Front Squat
    Weighted Glut/Ham Raise
    Renegade Row
    Hanging Leg Raise (2xFailure)

Originally posted by cdnsir
    Finished 3mths of strong life a while back. I liked the logic behind the program so I looked for more 5x5 programs online and stumbled onto this one. Didn't do a lot of modifications to it other than Day 2 where I've added a few quick rounds of arm isolation, plus some isolated ab work at the end.

Basically I'll be adding 5lbs each day until I fail, then retry 3 times before deloading just like strong life 5x5. The reason I'm doing this is to add a bit more variety and slow down the 10-15lb/wk increases from strong life. Of all places, the consistent squats always killed the soles of my feet the next day... Maybe i need better shoes... lol

Day1
    Bench Press
    Dumbbell Bent-Over Row
    Barbell Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    Turkish Get-up (2x5)

Day2
    Weighted Dips
    Weighted Chin-ups
    Barbell Deadlift
    P90x's Ab Ripper

Day3
    Incline Bench Press
    Front Squat
    Weighted Glut/Ham Raise
    Renegade Row
    what sorta reps / volume / frequency for this program?
    Also might wanna invest in some chuck taylors, one of the best shoes for squats / deadlifts

My Ride
    R50

Is another 5rep x 5sets program. Same with SL5x5 except with a bit more variety.

My Ride
    TypeR

Originally posted by cdnsir

Day1
    Bench Press
    Dumbbell Bent-Over Row
    Barbell Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    Turkish Get-up (2x5)

Day2
    Weighted Dips
    Weighted Chin-ups
    Barbell Deadlift
    P90x's Ab Ripper

Day3
    Incline Bench Press
    Front Squat
    Weighted Glut/Ham Raise
    Renegade Row
    If you know someone that can teach you clean and jerk add it to your program. Learning it from a pro was the best money I ever spent. Trying to master snatch now lots of practice................

Do it tho way better then deadlifting all the time. If you can try to even add a clean pull way more explosive power
    Last edited by scboss; 06-30-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast