Quantcast
ADT Security vs. APX Security - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: ADT Security vs. APX Security

Default ADT Security vs. APX Security

Any experiences with either company?

My Ride
    1993 Talon TSI AWD

Well APX isn't actually the company that monitors the system, they are just the salesmen. I forget who they sell the monitoring contracts to. There is another company (First Pinnacle Alarm) that does the same thing with ADT monitoring. I spent a summer working for them a few years ago.

If you were going to get a system anyway they can get you a decent deal. I'm not a fan of the door to door shit they do though. I was terrible at the high pressure sales and the lying. Also, since it's the middle of summer any APX salesmen you encounter will likely be from out of town. They will be largely young and inexperienced and maybe a little scared and nervous.
    Many will be desperate for sales and will give you whatever you ask for with a little push. They can't change the monthly contract, but they can certainly give in on setup fees and extra equipment.

In the end there is nothing wrong with the product the summer sales guys are pushing, if you can manage not to hate them for the way they sell it.

Hmm. Well a door-to-door guy came a few weeks ago hawking ADT stuff. Said that the equipment and outdoor signage is free.

Safehome Alarms - Systems by Design is the name of the company.

I'm with APX and I thought some other company (I thought it was ADT) bought APX and kept it as a subsidiary like Rogers and Fido

You really need to question the effectiveness and value of any home security system.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18570...ade-up_p2.html

what are do you live in? makes a difference as per response time
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

Originally posted by sputnik
    You really need to question the effectiveness and value of any home security system.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18570...ade-up_p2.html
    My take is that most burglers would be scared off by the alarm + I live on a cookie cutter street with packed in houses, and an alarm going off would get their attention.

I live near Shawnessy.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Originally posted by sti420
    Hmm. Well a door-to-door guy came a few weeks ago hawking ADT stuff. Said that the equipment and outdoor signage is free.

Safehome Alarms - Systems by Design is the name of the company.
    That is true. Usually you'll only have to pay for the monthly monitoring fee and an installation fee. If you push hard enough, you can usually get the installation fee waived.

But if you sign a contract, you do get the equipment for free. The signage is a joke and is over-valued by the salesman as a physical deterrant.

I too sold these systems as a door-to-door salesman for a summer. It is not a scam, but the pushy sales approach of some of the guys often give it a bad image.

APX (i.e. Apex) is the largest Security Dealer using the door-to-door approach in North America. They use their own sign, but their system is monitored by another National Security firm similar to ADT. The company I worked for sold contracts for ADT.

If you are looking for a decent security system, these types of deals are great bang for your buck. Just take the time to ask a lot of questions until you are comfortable with everything. make sure you know the duration of the contract you're signing, the Monthly monitoring fee, and any other start-up fees.

If you want to get the start up fee waived, just show lots of interest and tell the guy the only thing stopping you from signing the papers is the start-up or installation fees. 9 times out of 10 the guys will waive the fees. if he's a good sales guy and is not desperate for the sale, he may not.

Good luck.

edit: Oh yeah, and if you want to buy extra sensors, negotiate a lower price per sensor. Cost is usually about $50 per sensor. If the sales guy can sell the sensor for $75, he gets to pocket the difference. They'll hate me for telling you this.
    Last edited by freshprince1; 07-20-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

How much is the installation fee usually on the ADT systems?

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by sti420
    How much is the installation fee usually on the ADT systems?
    If you're paying one you're getting even more ripped off than if you are getting it installed for free. That is all you need to know.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell