Quantcast
SAIT Legal Assistant Diploma - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: SAIT Legal Assistant Diploma

Default SAIT Legal Assistant Diploma

Just wanted to get some feedback on the Legal Assistant program SAIT offers, I've read the course description, but I was hoping to get some input from actual students or someone that has finished the program. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Its boring as hell and most of the time your worrying about your typing speed and accuracy. You have to take advanced english for both semesters and take a computer class that focuses on word. If you have other options, go for those.

If your really keen on it, do the student for a day thing and you will see how boring it is.

My Ride
    335i

If you are genuinely interested, look into the Red Deer College program. Their assistants get snagged up before anyone else. We only recruit from RDC because the training they receive is much better than that from Sait or CDI
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

I will look into RDC but going in as a mature student and with the wife and kids in Calgary it'll be hard trying to make arrangements, but I'll definitely take that into consideration.

Is it hard to get into the program in SAIT? I meet all the requirements and still waiting on a decision if I get a seat or not, it has been over a decade since I was in school, not sure if the selection process has changed at all, but I don't remember having to wait close to a month to know if I get in.

Weapon R, I have more questions for you, I'll send them via PM, when I have more time later, thanks.

Its not hard to get into the program, but I know first hand they aren't very fast at letting you know your in. Have they conditionally accepted you at least?

If you get in, you will most likely be the only male in your class. That's just to let you know. We currently have 5 in the whole program.

Also, if your aiming to be a lawyer or do something further in law this diploma isn't for that. It is what it is. You can only be a legal assistant(or less) with it.

So far my status states: "In Selection", I was hoping to go further into real estate law or oil and gas law(work background is in the oil and gas) but not to be a lawyer. Maybe I should reconsider, if this diploma is that limited.

My Ride
    2005 Tacoma, 2008 M3

Originally posted by Clever
    So far my status states: "In Selection", I was hoping to go further into real estate law or oil and gas law(work background is in the oil and gas) but not to be a lawyer. Maybe I should reconsider, if this diploma is that limited.
    I wouldn't expect much upward mobility from the diploma. Also, lawyers (for the most part) won't have a lot of respect for assistants.

My Ride
    2006 HP

Took a similar course at CDI...boring as fuck..dropped it a month in... not to mention I was 1 of 3 guys in the class filled with 40 year old mothers

My Ride
    2010 Subaru Forester XT

Originally posted by cressida_pimpin

I wouldn't expect much upward mobility from the diploma. Also, lawyers (for the most part) won't have a lot of respect for assistants.
    I don't know a single lawyer that doesn't respect his or her assistants. Their work isn't particularly difficult, but there's a lot of it, and it needs precision and a lot of organization.

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

I know two girls that have this degree and they seem to be doing ok, some of the lawyers are assholes and some are nice, pretty much the same as any other job.

As for upward mobility with a legal assisstant degree... No.

I was offered a seat in the program last week, school starts on September 7 and I don't even know where to begin, it has been over a decade since I was in school. Anyone know where I can buy used books for the program? Also I'm paying for a rental laptop at SAIT, any ideas on what kind they are and what condition, I was hoping to use my personal laptop, but apparently licensing issues prohibit that.

My Ride
    Blue boy

I was offered a seat in the program last week, school starts on September 7 and I don't even know where to begin, it has been over a decade since I was in school. Anyone know where I can buy used books for the program? Also I'm paying for a rental laptop at SAIT, any ideas on what kind they are and what condition, I was hoping to use my personal laptop, but apparently licensing issues prohibit that.
    For the used books hit up SAITSA seconds in Senator Burns building

Thanks, I wasn't expecting to pay close to a grand for books, used ones should be fine. Anyone know about the laptops? Can they be picked up now? I want to save myself a trip and get everything done in a day.

Whatever happened with this, did you stay in the program. Im thinking of doing it myself.

I'm in my second year, in my case the practical part of I have benefited from greatly, i.e. learning Word, Excel, Power Point in depth. The theory side is very interesting as well, as they teach you the different facets of the law. Some people in the program are using it as a stepping stone to go into law school (not the easiest way to go but I know several people that are doing it this way).

I am looking to become a contract analyst eventually, as my background education and experience is in the O&G industry, if that doesn't fall through the program does have enough versatility that I have other venues available to me. If you have other questions feel free to PM.
    Last edited by Clever; 10-31-2011 at 08:36 AM.

I'm in my second year, in my case the practical part of I have benefited from greatly, i.e. learning Word, Excel, Power Point in depth. The theory side is very interesting as well, as they teach you the different facets of the law. Some people in the program are using it as a stepping stone to go into law school (not the easiest way to go but I know several people that are doing it this way).

I am looking to become a contract analyst eventually, as my background education and experience is in the O&G industry, if that doesn't fall through the program does have enough versatility that I have other venues available to me. If you have other questions feel free to PM.
    Contract analyst? Sounds like you want a landmans job...or a lawyers job. I don't see you being able to do either with the diploma but who knows...there's hundreds of companies I'm sure someone will hire on.

Just so I do not mislead anyone, you have to pay your dues. I know paralegals that currently do contract analyst work or are contract analysts, but that doesn't happen right away. The program as I mentioned, can be a great stepping stone, but the career itself, is what it is.
    Last edited by Clever; 10-31-2011 at 11:02 AM.

My Ride
    NC1

Curious on stats of male/female in this field? Kind of like a male nurse? Or has that changed.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49