Quantcast
Chop or Charcut Anyone? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Chop or Charcut Anyone?

Default Chop or Charcut Anyone?

Hey have any of you guys been to either? Recommended?

Haven't been to Chop before, but I would not recommend charcut. The only thing they have going well for them is the decor. I really like the atmosphere and the seating, but that's about all.

Food I would rate at 3/10. As a self-puported roast house, their selection is quite limited. First, their "butcher steak" is a shoulder cut - who the hell would serve that? Second, they were unable to do a prime rib less than medium rare. Third, the sea bass was tasteless and could have used a saltmine's worth of salt. The chicken, however, was admittedly quite delicious, although merely one worthwhile item on their menu will not make up for all the other shortcomings. Lastly, the lamb that we had at our table was overcooked and dry.

The only thing that saved my experience at charcut was their charcuterie board. The offerings were quite deliciously prepared and the sausage and even the marmelade that they served are worth mentioning.

Decor is subtly grandiose, and would make a wonderful lounge for drinks. Moreover, their beer selection is masterful and they seem to have distanced themselves from conventional brews and opted to serve creations from microbreweries: Alleykat, unibroue, and the like. Only thing of concern is that their napkins look like my goddamn dishsclothes. Piss poor decorative choice, but hey, these things all count towards a dining experience.

Waitress was pleasant but certainly did not know the menu well. In fact, she did not even know a) that the "whole fish on the bone" was sea bass, and b) that lamb can be served medium rare (she was adamant that it should be cooked "pink." She was, however, very prompt with filling our water glasses.

Overall, would not dine there again.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I've been to Charcut a few times. It's always been excellent. Menu is constantly changing.

I haven't been to Chop, but according to the reviews on here and what I've heard from friends, I don't think I'll be going.

One is a high end restaurant run by a true chef. The other is the steakhouse arm of a large chain.

Prices are similar at both, which either makes Charcut a decent value or Chop a rip off... or maybe both.

Originally posted by suen17
    Haven't been to Chop before, but I would not recommend charcut. The only thing they have going well for them is the decor. I really like the atmosphere and the seating, but that's about all.

Food I would rate at 3/10. As a self-puported roast house, their selection is quite limited. First, their "butcher steak" is a shoulder cut - who the hell would serve that? Second, they were unable to do a prime rib less than medium rare. Third, the sea bass was tasteless and could have used a saltmine's worth of salt. The chicken, however, was admittedly quite delicious, although merely one worthwhile item on their menu will not make up for all the other shortcomings. Lastly, the lamb that we had at our table was overcooked and dry.

The only thing that saved my experience at charcut was their charcuterie board. The offerings were quite deliciously prepared and the sausage and even the marmelade that they served are worth mentioning.

Decor is subtly grandiose, and would make a wonderful lounge for drinks. Moreover, their beer selection is masterful and they seem to have distanced themselves from conventional brews and opted to serve creations from microbreweries: Alleykat, unibroue, and the like. Only thing of concern is that their napkins look like my goddamn dishsclothes. Piss poor decorative choice, but hey, these things all count towards a dining experience.

Waitress was pleasant but certainly did not know the menu well. In fact, she did not even know a) that the "whole fish on the bone" was sea bass, and b) that lamb can be served medium rare (she was adamant that it should be cooked "pink." She was, however, very prompt with filling our water glasses.

Overall, would not dine there again.
    this is an awesome review; one of the best i've read in some time.

Originally posted by nonlinear

this is an awesome review; one of the best i've read in some time.
    You just liked it because it was negative haha. I agree though, great review.

Originally posted by RY213

You just liked it because it was negative haha. I agree though, great review.
    it wasn't negative - in fact, the author did a very good job of discussing both the positive and negative points.

i liked it because it was well written, and because the author knows and appreciates what they are talking about.

something that is sorely lacking on these boards, i'm afraid.

Chop is pretty good if you dont go there for a Steak imo. the seared ahi tuna steak is top notch. but I believe there steaks and other meat dishes are not any better than average.
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    '73 Karmann Ghia

^^Is Chop that new place in Chinook Mall? Do they have other locations?
    Last edited by idioteque; 07-26-2010 at 06:37 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by idioteque
    ^^is Chop that new place in Chinook Mall? do they have other locations?
    Yes. Other locations in Edmonton, Winnipeg, Kelowna, and Richmond.

My Ride
    '73 Karmann Ghia

Originally posted by Disoblige

Yes. Other locations in Edmonton, Winnipeg, Kelowna, and Richmond.
    Great! The new one in the mall is near my place, will have to swing in there soon and see what it's like!
    Last edited by idioteque; 07-26-2010 at 06:37 PM.