Quantcast
max_boost 5/3/1 work out - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: max_boost 5/3/1 work out

Originally posted by mdeleon
    I'm doing 5/3/1 as well at the moment. It says not to change anything around, but I put my chest and shoulder days together so I can work on my back for the next upper body workout.
    Be honest with yourself, you're not doing 5/3/1, you're fucking with it because you think you know better than a guy like Wendler
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    TypeR

how many pull ups can you guys do? I find in most real life situations your back is the most important part besides your legs. This workout seems great for building a solid strong foundation imo. I think in general tho neglecting things like lunges, pull ups, rows and calves for long periods of time(4-5 mnths+) is a bad idea.

Originally posted by lint

Be honest with yourself, you're not doing 5/3/1, you're fucking with it because you think you know better than a guy like Wendler
    I've never said I knew more than him. Quite the opposite actually considering I asked the question of why the back isn't targeted as a main exercise like the chest is. It was a legitimate question that I wanted some insight into, not a question to undermine him and think I know better. Not like I changed shit around so much that it's not recognizable as 5/3/1.
    Mercs

My Ride
    TL

Max posted the boring but big version of the program. There is a triumvate version where the accessory work takes on things like chinups and db rows.

Deads and bench are some main exercises that target the back quite a bit. Even from a DOMS perspective.

To be quite honest, the post from max is a small preview to the entire program. Get the book and read it (not long at all). Don't make assumptions that this is not a traditional program that you can find in Men's Fitness/Bodybuilding USA/ etc.

Originally posted by mdeleon
    I've never said I knew more than him. Quite the opposite actually considering I asked the question of why the back isn't targeted as a main exercise like the chest is. It was a legitimate question that I wanted some insight into, not a question to undermine him and think I know better. Not like I changed shit around so much that it's not recognizable as 5/3/1.
    You're already making changes to the program BEFORE you've found an answer to your question.

Follow Oz-'s advice, get the book and read it. Follow the program as laid out for 3 months minimum first and THEN if you feel your back is lacking question it. Alternatively, you can email your question to Jim himself. He's quite active and answers questions all the time over at EliteFTS http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/

And FYI

Question: What is more important for getting stronger; assistance work or the four big lifts?
    Answer: The four big lifts. Done with correct form and a well thought out plan, this will trump ANY weak point exercise or assistance work.
    Now that I re-read your first question post, are you saying that in addition to the deadlift day, you are also setting aside another "upper body" day to do back?
    heloc that shit

this work out program is great, i made so much gains on my bench press , i started out about 4-5 weeks ago with 1 max rep at 155 ( assuming the bar weights 35lb ) now i can do that max rep 4 x 3. i was also doing the standing front military shoulder press fallowing the same program and that help me greatly for my incline dumbbell bench press. before when i was lifting 55lb, my left hand always struggles to get the weights up, and now it's a brezze.

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by anhsicun
    i started out about 4-5 weeks ago with 1 max rep at 155 ( assuming the bar weights 35lb )
    Are you by any chance, underestimating the amount you lift? Olympic bars weigh 45lbs not 35. Extra 10 lbs is an extra 10 lbs

My Ride
    TL

does anyone know where i can get this book?

My Ride
    NC1

The accessory work 5X10 at 65% makes a huge difference and is probably the vital key for gains.

I remember when I could barely push 115 for bench and 85 on press. I thought I would be stuck there forever, then comes 5/3/1 and I'm up 20lbs on both those lifts right now and this was just in the last 2 months!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by dandia89
    does anyone know where i can get this book?
    Pm me your email and I can send you a PDF of it.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Hey, good to hear of the progress. Get strong and buffed for winter, now that summer is half over, or never really came. We should have a 5/3/1 and 5x5 Subaru meet :-)

Originally posted by jsn

Are you by any chance, underestimating the amount you lift? Olympic bars weigh 45lbs not 35. Extra 10 lbs is an extra 10 lbs
    oh really! i guess bigger numbers for me . i ask some guy at the gym once and he told me it was around 35lb, so i always thought it was 35lb.

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by anhsicun

oh really! i guess bigger numbers for me . i ask some guy at the gym once and he told me it was around 35lb, so i always thought it was 35lb.
    i always thought this too. i don't the names of the bars but i thought the skinny bars were 35 and the thicker ones were 45. i always felt i could lift more with the skinnier bar.

this is at u of c gym btw.

My Ride
    STi

I was talking about a full sized olympic bar which they have at the U of C. Those weigh 45lbs. If there is a skinnier bar you were using, I'm not sure how much those weigh.

In most gyms, diameters of oly bars probably varies between 29-32mm and the diameter of the bar has nothing to do with the bar weight. Standard oly bars are 45lbs/20kgs. There are lighter bars for women/jrs, but I don't think they're standard in most gyms.
    heloc that shit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2