Quantcast
Good internet provider? Cant use telus.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good internet provider? Cant use telus..

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Default Good internet provider? Cant use telus..

Who's everyone using for internet services here? I did search but the information is all outdated.

I can't use telus as apparently I can't get high speed at my house, even though my 'Telus business plan' had high speed internet. But it's being moved to a new location, and Telus insists I can't have high speed internet.

I'm guessing this means dsl is out and I need cable. Are there other options besides Shaw? Nothing against them, but they're just expensive and their service has been spotty in my past experiences with them.

So am I F@cked? Suck it up and use Shaw?

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

In-City: Telus and Shaw basically have the market cornered. You could always get satellite high-speed. I think bell can provide that.

Out of City: Platinum, Efirehose are pretty much the only two. Satellite, again, another alternative.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Tomaz
    In-City: Telus and Shaw basically have the market cornered. You could always get satellite high-speed. I think bell can provide that.

Out of City: Platinum, Efirehose are pretty much the only two. Satellite, again, another alternative.
    I don't think bell does residential in Calgary. Shit. Any tips for getting a better deal with Shaw?

you act like you would be getting screwed by shaw, but dude, unless you're 14 or something, it's not THAT expensive. if you want internet, pay what it costs!

My Ride
    ST205

Spotty is right.

My speed through the day till midnight. (0.07-1.83) The only time I'm hitting 10-20 is at like 3am. Also depends how many people use shaw near you, apparently a lot for me.

|
    \/

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Get a package. TV, Internet, Phone... Seems to be the only REAL way to get a deal. And don't get suckered into shit you don't need.

Shaw Regular High-Speed is $20/Month for 3 months ($45/month after)

Shaw bundle (TV Lite, High Speed, Basic Phone) Total $91.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    FZ6, Ford Raptor, Audi A3 Sport Comp.

I just moved to Telus from Shaw for both TV and internet and I have to say, their 15mbps service is actually 15mbps. Even with all three TVs in my house my service just drops to 7mbps. I was never really happy with Shaw, but it worked most of the time. Just not super quick all the time.

My parents use Efirehose just north of the city, it's OK but can get spotty in adverse weather conditions. Speed seems decent but they immediately lock down your connection when the detect torrent activity which I think is absolute bullshit.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by nonlinear
    you act like you would be getting screwed by shaw, but dude, unless you're 14 or something, it's not THAT expensive. if you want internet, pay what it costs!
    I'll pay if the service isn't shit. You're right, it's not that expensive. But I'm not going to pay for a Mercedes and get a Kia.

I don't really want to bundle anything. I don't use a land line for phone, and I'm on Bell for sattelite, looks like I'm just sucking it up.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Critical
    Spotty is right.

My speed through the day till midnight. (0.07-1.83) The only time I'm hitting 10-20 is at like 3am. Also depends how many people use shaw near you, apparently a lot for me.

|
    \/
    That was exactly my experience. It was only high speed when nobody else was on it.

My Ride
    SRT

depends on how much traffic you really need. you might want to look into just getting a 3G stick if you want decent speed and not gonna be torrenting too much or at all. or if you dont need that much internet at all other than surfing, emails, facebook and youtube and you have a smartphone, upgrade your data plan and just tether from it

otherwise just get shaw, nothing wrong with them and way faster than dsl
    Last edited by riceeater; 08-06-2010 at 02:07 PM.

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

That was exactly my experience. It was only high speed when nobody else was on it.
    but it's not like that everywhere... i always thought people exagerated a lot since i never see any of these issues... it's probably some areas that are worse than others, but if it was that bad everywhere they wouldn't be #1...

and obviously the plan you choose... tried the basic shaw once for a month and it was ridiculous... topped out at about 35kBps download... but you get what you pay for...

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by riceeater

but it's not like that everywhere... i always thought people exagerated a lot since i never see any of these issues... it's probably some areas that are worse than others, but if it was that bad everywhere they wouldn't be #1...

and obviously the plan you choose... tried the basic shaw once for a month and it was ridiculous... topped out at about 35kBps download... but you get what you pay for...
    The only place I had shaw that was good was when I lived downtown. 5pm came along and my internet speeds would go through the roof. It was awesome.

Outside of downtown, I've found Telus to be much more consistent.

I do torrent and play my PS3 online so I don't think an internet stick will work. FUCK YOU SHAW HERE I COME AGAIN!!!!

I pay $110/mo for full HD cable w/ extra channels and high speed internet (easily 1MB+ download speed). That's a bargain if you ask me, I couldn't be happier with my service.

Telus internet is utter garbage, we have it at the office.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Telus internet is utter garbage, we have it at the office.
    Telus DSL and customer service is garbage but I just got my Telus fiber to the home activated and I get 23-24Mbps down and 2Mbps up. Not bad considering they advertise 25Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

That being said their service is terrible, I had an issue and called tech support and they told me the service I have is not availble at all through Telus and hung up on me twice after not believing me.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by wtf im nameless

Telus DSL and customer service is garbage but I just got my Telus fiber to the home activated and I get 23-24Mbps down and 2Mbps up. Not bad considering they advertise 25Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

That being said their service is terrible, I had an issue and called tech support and they told me the service I have is not availble at all through Telus and hung up on me twice after not believing me.
    They are idiots. I had high speed business internet for the last year at home, but I can't get high speed residential internet at the exact same address. How the fuck Telus?

Since there's always so much Telus hate I thought i'd just post the numbers of what their new system is like. Ping went from 9-12ms on Shaw to 0-3ms on Telus.. Even though the speed was the same on paper, this connection definately feels much faster. I think i'm going to bump my Shaw account to the 100mbps service just to compare and see if it's really that much better than this. Not bad considering I did the test at 6pm on Friday.

Originally posted by wtf im nameless

I'm sure we have the DSL at work, it is the worst thing ever. It's like being on dial up, I'm not even exaggerating. How much is the fiber?

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I'm sure we have the DSL at work, it is the worst thing ever. It's like being on dial up, I'm not even exaggerating. How much is the fiber?
    $70 per month, no contract... I think it's cheaper if you sign a term but i'd never do that with Telus so i'm not 100% sure.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

if you live downtown, you may get westnet wireless, its conneted directly to fibre , it aint uncommon to get 20mb upload

Originally posted by Critical
    Spotty is right.

|
    \/
    +1. What annoys me is the intermittence downtime. Sometimes is okay for days; then there are days, where it goes down several times throughout that day (for a few minutes each time). This is a killer, in some paid tournaments situation [especially when you are out twice, for a few minute each time, during the tournament] …

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast