Quantcast
Downspout water drainage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Downspout water drainage

My Ride
    Busa

Default Downspout water drainage

I've got some landscaping work ahead of me and I'm curious about a few things.

I see lots of people connecting their downspouts to weeping tile and running it under their lawn. Where are these people running the weeping tile to? To the swales/the city storm drains? Is this legal in Calgary? I've also heard of this causing problems with water around the foundation, any merit to this?
    Last edited by UndrgroundRider; 08-07-2010 at 05:08 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Downspout water drainage

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
    I've got some landscaping work ahead of me and I'm curious about a few things.

I see lots of people connecting their downspouts to weeping tile and running it under their lawn. Where are these people running the weeping tile to? To the swales/the city storm drains? Is this legal in Calgary? I've also heard of this causing problems with water around the foundation, any merit to this?
    Weeping tile, by virtue of the fact that it's perforated, will disperse the water throughout the lawn. To be honest, it's not a good idea at all unless you have a slope to your hard.

My Ride
    97 si honda civic/2004 chevy silverado

shut up.....its the most brilliant idea. You just need to buy the socked wipping tile that has the little holes in them. you also need pea gravel and a good trenching shovel....and dig your trench about 2 feet down put and bed of pea gravel than lay the weeping tile on top......make sure at the end of the weeping tile you have a huge reservoir as the water does need to go somehwere....your house doesnt need to be on a slope. u just have to create that slope so the water goes somewhere....most will seep thru the ground and any excess will sit in that reservoir until your plants need it. Its the only way to redirect the water away from your foundation or driveway. Totem sells some nice socked weeping tile.
    i am who i am.

My Ride

Originally posted by surferbaby13
    shut up.....its the most brilliant idea. You just need to buy the socked wipping tile that has the little holes in them. you also need pea gravel and a good trenching shovel....and dig your trench about 2 feet down put and bed of pea gravel than lay the weeping tile on top......make sure at the end of the weeping tile you have a huge reservoir as the water does need to go somehwere....your house doesnt need to be on a slope. u just have to create that slope so the water goes somewhere....most will seep thru the ground and any excess will sit in that reservoir until your plants need it. Its the only way to redirect the water away from your foundation or driveway. Totem sells some nice socked weeping tile.
    Yea, it's a great idea until it freezes and then backs up the mix.

My Ride

no it doesnt.....if you dig it at least 2 feet down you wont have any problems. clearly YOU are doing it wrong as many landscapers cant even install proper drainage.
    i am who i am.

My Ride

unless we get a downpour and than magically we reach -40 over nite....dude you have no idea what u are talking about.....what do you do for a living? i hope its not landscaping.
    i am who i am.

My Ride

its not a toilet.....theres no backup
    i am who i am.

My Ride

unless we get a downpour and than magically we reach -40 over nite....dude you have no idea what u are talking about.....what do you do for a living? i hope its not landscaping.
    My family owns an eavestrough company. I worked there growing up as a kid. I've seen more than you think. But hey, what do I know surferbaby? That "high quality" weeping tile you can get from Totem will sure do the trick!

its not a toilet.....theres no backup

There IS a backup when it clogs up with dirt, leaves and asphalt from your roof. Or worse yet the ground shifts and it collapses the weeping tile. Then it drains straight down your foundation into your basement.

I'd rather keep my drainage above ground and know it's working.

My Ride
    Busa

I've looked into it a bit these past couple months, and will probably be running the rain water away from the house with PVC and then into the weeping tile once it's far enough away.

To make cleaning easy I'll also be attaching a capped T-fitting near the downspout so I can snake out anything clogging up the works.

My Ride

ok ok.....but thats why its socked....so the dirt does not collapse into it and you are not suppose to put the weeping tile along side of your wall. Always direct the water away from any form of foundation. If you pack it right with clay soil and tamp it.....you wont have that problem. Most people dont do a proper job. They want in and out so the faster they pump their job out the sooner and more they will get paid. In the end quality is the main factor and most dont care about that. I can show you pictures of jobs Ive had to redo because they did it wrong. A real landscaping company that has been in business for over 10 yrs. Its quite sad actually. If the customer is paying for weeping tile give them the best quality and do your best. Thats the world we live in today. hence why nothing lasts longer than 3 years you always have to fix something because of a poor job. Do it right the first time. Sorry for my rant!
    i am who i am.