Quantcast
Shop at CrossIron Mills Recently? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shop at CrossIron Mills Recently?

Default Shop at CrossIron Mills Recently?

Might want to change your PIN! RCMP did a sweep of all the stores and found a bunch of tampered pin pads.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/RCMP+di...836/story.html
    ---

I wonder which stores were skimming. I doubt it would be any of the bigger name retailers as much as the one off shops in the mall.

Man, I have had three debit cards shut down by Scotiabank in 6 months due to this kind of crap...

...and yeah, I haven't even been to CIM once!

Ridiculous!

For fucks sake...

Thanks for the heads up

Originally posted by masoncgy
    Man, I have had three debit cards shut down by Scotiabank in 6 months due to this kind of crap...

...and yeah, I haven't even been to CIM once!

Ridiculous!
    I wouldn't be surprised if its the same place that your information keeps getting compromised. Gotta love that they don't make the locations public knowledge hey?

^ I know, they never say anything to me about where it happened or when or anything... just shut down my card and make me embarass myself at Tim Horton's trying to pay for my coffee & bagel... hahaha... FML.

At least I haven't been scammed of any money... I guess I should be happy about that part.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

cash is king!

I went there two weeks ago, and 1 day later my card was scammed and money stolen from my account. I only used my Debit card at an aftermarket vender that sells Potate chips in like the middle of the mall and the bass Pro-shop.

TD is awesome though and refunded my money

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Thanks for the heads up...
    ...@therealarifjina...

So out of 200 retailers who probably have over a 1000 pin pads amongst them, 4 tampered ones were found. I wonder if a ratio like this (just under 0.5%) is common or not.

Never the less, I wonder how many of these retailers have taken the time to record the serial numbers on their base/hand/held/wireless pin pad units and if they have, how often do they check the serial numbers of these units against their records. Also, some very simple precautions can be taken by retailers to make the quick swap out of a hand held pin pad quite difficult.
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by beyond_ban
    I wonder which stores were skimming. I doubt it would be any of the bigger name retailers as much as the one off shops in the mall.
    Tampered pin pads doesn't necessarily mean that the affected stores were deliberately skimming as often, the tampered pin pads are placed in a retailer's location by less than savoury characters and then retrieved several days later. The retailers, in this case, may have not even been aware that they had tampered pin pads at their location.
    Will fuck off, again.

So this is what retailers in CIM mall are doing to make up for thier poor weekday sales?
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

I shopped at CIM but don't remember using my debit card; in any event, BMO cancelled my debit card last week, then called the wrong phone number to notify them that my card was cancelled and I should go pick up a new one.

I really think they should tell us which retailers were at fault. Why isn't there some kind of public/private encryption setup on the cash registers to at least prevent someone from swapping the card terminal out? There's more goddamn security on DVDs.

Originally posted by toastgremlin
    I really think they should tell us which retailers were at fault. Why isn't there some kind of public/private encryption setup on the cash registers to at least prevent someone from swapping the card terminal out? There's more goddamn security on DVDs.
    What does the cash register have to do with anything? Many businesses have their POS terminal operating separately from their cash register. And would you stop shopping at a business who had their POS terminal compromised even if they were unaware it had been tampered with as this was probably the case with the four POS terminals in the Cross Iron Mills businesses?

Please realize that the tampered units probably had the hand held portion completely swapped out unbeknownst to the retailer. That said, I'm surprised that the POS suppliers haven't built in some sort of security hand-shaking between the POS hand held unit and the base unit which might deter some of this type of fraud.
    Will fuck off, again.

All they need is an alarm that is triggered when the cable is unplugged, similar to how laptops are protected. Lots of easy solutions, but they'd rather ignore the problem.

I agree with retailers being ID'd. They can prevent this by taking a few minutes to verify the PIN pad every few hours.
    ---

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Can't they just put a really hard to peel off sticker on it? And check it everyday to see if its the legit pin pad? Fricken cheap and easy to do.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Can't they just put a really hard to peel off sticker on it? And check it everyday to see if its the legit pin pad? Fricken cheap and easy to do.
    Well some businesses do this already - we put some home made security in place to make it much more difficult someone to quickly swap out the hand held unit at our shop. Have serial numbers of both POS units (hand held and base unit) recorded too which are checked regularly against our records.
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by masoncgy
    ^ I know, they never say anything to me about where it happened or when or anything... just shut down my card and make me embarass myself at Tim Horton's trying to pay for my coffee & bagel... hahaha... FML.

At least I haven't been scammed of any money... I guess I should be happy about that part.
    LMAO Did the same thing at subway, cept i had no cash or CC either. FML

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Ya that, or atleast mark it with a "invisible ink" and just part of closing duties check it with a black light, hell most stores could just use there counterfeit black light for cash. Sign it something unique, and change it every so often.

Probably don't release the names of stores just pending the investigation, figuring out how long the machines have been there as well with the staff working.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Perhaps if they would post or publish the names of the stores found with tampered debit machines, these incidents would decrease (although it may or may not be the stores fault-I think publishing the names of these companies would encourage them to have their equipment maintained/checked/validated on a more regular basis...and in return better protect their customers).

[url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast