Quantcast
Shop to Install New Wheel studs? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Shop to Install New Wheel studs?

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Default Shop to Install New Wheel studs?

Now that Option Import is out of the picture, i dont know of another shop to take my car to. I want them to install new wheel studs. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Joe-G; 08-14-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    2000 blazer lt 4x4

do it your self, it's not that hard.

or are you a credit card mechanic?

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

How about you get the fuck out of my thread?
    I wonder why I asked for shop recommendations on purpose? Probably because i don't have the tools to press out the old studs. I'd rather not take a big fucking hammer to my hubs. If you dont have anything nice to say, next time, don't post.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by Joe-G
    I wonder why I asked for shop recommendations on purpose? Probably because i don't have the tools to press out the old studs. I'd rather not take a big fucking hammer to my hubs. If you dont have anything nice to say, next time, don't post.
    its actually really easy man, i do it all the time. And, ill tell you one thing, no shop you will take it to is going to use a special tool, they are going to hammer as well. Fortunately the studs come out quite easy with the right hit. Take your wheels, calipers, and rotors off, youll see how easy your access is. 1 good hit on the head with a decent sized hammer and they pop right out, no effort. To get the new ones in, put them in from the back, take one of your lugs, and a bunch of washers, or whatever will do as a spacer, and tighten the lug up until the back of the lug sits flush with the back of the hub.

if you think about it, your hubs hold the weight of the car, plus the leverage from the wheel over all the bumps and potholes in the road. A hammer hit wont hurt them at all.
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 08-14-2010 at 08:32 AM.

My Ride
    a fun 4 cylinder

when i replace wheel studs as sr20s14zenki said i use a hammer and a few big washer with the wheel nut to put them back in. doesnt take long at all.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

LOLOL, flames
    Autosignature

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-05-2020 at 12:21 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    SoupRYou

not worth making a new thread for this..

I need my water/pump and timing belt changed i can easily do this with a couple of buddies. but since the car is still under warranty, i need a receipt(proof it was done professionally) so as the op stated my main mechanic was option-import with them gone can anyone recommend another shop?
    sig kinda deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    S14|TB1

I actually went to option imports building where kingsboro auto
    is now, just to see their competency and diagnostic pricing on something for a family memberS car which I didn't want to attempt/get into, they're old school domestic mechanics by what I gathered from the short convo, but quite knowledgeable, still don't know their quality of work tho, they even have a full time service advisor who I think is also the manager.

In regards to the wheel stud op, sorryto state the truth for
    the 10th time but it's such a waste of $ to bring it to a shop forthat stuff, you don't even need to put a lugnut on IMO if you're throwing out your old studs, just whack them out, who cares about the threads if that's the case. If you can hammer a nail into a piece of wood, you can change your wheel studs no problem, but if you're not comfortable doing it I guess
    $ can buy/do anything. This isn't a backyard technique btw, @ the dealership when i worked Automotive this was s.o.p..
    Last edited by n1zm0; 08-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.

My Ride
    2000 blazer lt 4x4

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

its actually really easy man, i do it all the time. And, ill tell you one thing, no shop you will take it to is going to use a special tool, they are going to hammer as well. Fortunately the studs come out quite easy with the right hit. Take your wheels, calipers, and rotors off, youll see how easy your access is. 1 good hit on the head with a decent sized hammer and they pop right out, no effort. To get the new ones in, put them in from the back, take one of your lugs, and a bunch of washers, or whatever will do as a spacer, and tighten the lug up until the back of the lug sits flush with the back of the hub.

if you think about it, your hubs hold the weight of the car, plus the leverage from the wheel over all the bumps and potholes in the road. A hammer hit wont hurt them at all.
    you sir are correct, any shop is going to rape you on labour and still use a hammer to get them out and if you are real lucky they will use a impact to seat them in, so save some money and do it youre self and maby you can buy a fart can for that honduh.

My Ride
    78 civic

FYI-- you need to press out the front wheel bearings on a honda in order to change the studs. Most of the time the wheel bearings will need to be replaced after removal.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by 78si
    FYI-- you need to press out the front wheel bearings on a honda in order to change the studs. Most of the time the wheel bearings will need to be replaced after removal.
    Lol those bastards haha. I wasn't aware they did that. Good info.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

The amount of fail in this thread is astounding....
    I ask for shop recommendations, and i get everyone and their dog telling me to do otherwise. I guess thats just how beyond is?

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

Everyone is trying to save you some money. If you can't appreciate that then don't make a thread man...

The reality is Calgary doesn't have a lot of great "tuner" friendly shops that won't charge you an arm and a leg like regular mechanics.

Tunedub?

My Ride
    78 civic

check your pms

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

The amount of fail in this thread is astounding....
    I ask for shop recommendations, and i get everyone and their dog telling me to do otherwise. I guess thats just how beyond is?
    What the fuck is wrong with you? Instead of being such a whiny cunt, be patient and wait for an appropriate response. Others are just trying to save you some cash on a stupidly simple stud-replacement job.

I know of a few good shops in the SE foothills industrial area, but would prefer not to mention them publicly. If you'd like a few suggestions, feel free to PM me.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

I appreciate how everyone is trying to be helpful and save me cash, but thats not what i was trying to ask. If that was the case, i would have probably pulled out the wheel bearings by now, and wouldve never needed to make a thread. Ive already thought about doing it myself, but maybe its something that i just dont want to do? Im not being a whiny cunt and i appreciate responses like sr20s, but useless posts like thager's are not needed.

EDIT: Thanks for the info 78si.
    Last edited by Joe-G; 08-14-2010 at 07:49 PM.

EM1FTW is offline I'm a fag because only fags love Hondas
    My Ride
    EM1 yo!

Jackie has a press now Joe!
    hit him up!
    Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Kinda like this morning when I wanted to tell my GF to pass the sugar and it came out "You fucking bitch, you've ruined my life."