Quantcast
Car got hit, need advice getting my damages covered by the other party - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car got hit, need advice getting my damages covered by the other party

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Unhappy Car got hit, need advice getting my damages covered by the other party

Hey guys,

need some help. My vehicle was reversed into on Aug 12, 2010 and I need some advice to make sure my vehicle gets fixed and I'm not left high and dry.

The long and short of it is it is 100% the other guy's fault. We were stopped at a red light and he reversed into me in an attempt to make a last second lane change. He was lost and my car was hit by his cargo bin thingy on the back of his tahoe(kind of like a bike rack). This resulted in mutilating my CF hood, headlight and bending my rad support. Didn't touch my bumper or fenders luckily. He had an Alaska plate, I did get his insurance info, photos and his phone number and have since filed a claim with my insurance company and a police report. I only have 3rd party liability and comprehensive with TDMM so it is in my court to pursue his insurance company and make sure my vehicle gets repaired.

I called his insurance company today as TDMM said there is really nothing for them to do on their part and I'm very much new to this. Can someone who has had to deal with this before give me some advice on how best to get my vehicle repaired.

Last edited by v2kai; 08-16-2010 at 03:49 PM.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Call your insurance. They. Fix carbon fiber hoods eithe. They would replace as stock

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by theken
    Call your insurance. They. Fix carbon fiber hoods eithe. They would replace as stock
    I did call my insurance it has nothing to do with them, dude backed into me so it's his insurance I have to deal with.

Why would I get a stock hood, it's his fault and so what if that's their insurance policy to only replace a stock hood. I didnt sign up for that, or getting backed into... this is what's frustrating. I get to take a hit on my investment because of someone else's mistake!? Plus I'm on my own here trying to get paid out for the damages and I have no idea what I should be doing...

Default Re: Car got hit, need advice getting my damages covered by the other party

Originally posted by v2kai
    Hey guys,

need some help. My vehicle was reversed into on Aug 12, 2010 and I need some advice to make sure my vehicle gets fixed and I'm not left high and dry.

The long and short of it is it is 100% the other guy's fault. We were stopped at a red light and he reversed into me in an attempt to make a last second lane change. He was lost and my car was hit by his cargo bin thingy on the back of his tahoe(kind of like a bike rack). This resulted in mutilating my CF hood, headlight and bending my rad support. Didn't touch my bumper or fenders luckily. He had an Alaska plate, I did get his insurance info, photos and his phone number and have since filed a claim with my insurance company and a police report. I only have 3rd party liability and comprehensive with TDMM so it is in my court to pursue his insurance company and make sure my vehicle gets repaired.

I called his insurance company today as TDMM said there is really nothing for them to do on their part and I'm very much new to this. Can someone who has had to deal with this before give me some advice on how best to get my vehicle repaired.

Your insurance company should pay for it and then seek reimbursement from his insurance company. They should be the ones calling his insurance.
    BOOOOOya!!!

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Default Re: Re: Car got hit, need advice getting my damages covered by the other party

Originally posted by calgary403

Your insurance company should pay for it and then seek reimbursement from his insurance company. They should be the ones calling his insurance.
    they told me because I only have 3rd party they have no part to play in it.

My Ride
    335i

You need to call his insurance directly and ask to speak to their claims department. Explain that one of their insured just hit you and that you would like to file a claim against the insured. They will set you up with a claim #, and you will be contacted by an adjuster shortly thereafter.

It's simple enough and requires a bit of legwork, but it can be done alright.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    You need to call his insurance directly and ask to speak to their claims department. Explain that one of their insured just hit you and that you would like to file a claim against the insured. They will set you up with a claim #, and you will be contacted by an adjuster shortly thereafter.

It's simple enough and requires a bit of legwork, but it can be done alright.
    Thanks weapon_R. I have contacted his insurance company and spoken to his agent. He said he would get in contact with the other party and then forward it to claims. Should I wait for that or call back and go straight to the claims department myself?

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by v2kai

I did call my insurance it has nothing to do with them, dude backed into me so it's his insurance I have to deal with.

Why would I get a stock hood, it's his fault and so what if that's their insurance policy to only replace a stock hood. I didnt sign up for that, or getting backed into... this is what's frustrating. I get to take a hit on my investment because of someone else's mistake!? Plus I'm on my own here trying to get paid out for the damages and I have no idea what I should be doing...

As far as I know, you insured the vehicle. Not any mods, 3rd party stuff you threw on it to look cool...

You should call your insurance company. They issue you a cheque, you get it fixed, then they sue the dude's insurance company on your behalf.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by Zhariak

As far as I know, you insured the vehicle. Not any mods, 3rd party stuff you threw on it to look cool...

You should call your insurance company. They issue you a cheque, you get it fixed, then they sue the dude's insurance company on your behalf.
    right, i understand that...IF it was my fault and I"m seeking for my insurance company(who insured only my vehicle not my mods) to repair the vehicle. But in this case, it's not my insurance company to pay for the damages. It's his. Why should I be penalized when I'm not at fault.

Since you do not carry collision coverage you will have to deal with his insurance company yourself.

As for the carbon fiber hood don't worry. If they accept liability the fact it isn't stock plays no factor in them having to repair it.

To be clear, on any claim parts DO NOT have to be original parts to be covered under the Alberta auto policy.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

My Ride
    RHD-S13/LHD-S13

Its hilarious how all of these people keep posting telling you to call your insurance. If they would just read the fucking post its pretty obvious you already did...

Anyway, just call his insurance company ASAP! get a claim number, take your car in to a body shop of your choice (pick a good one of course, dont give him a break on this) and hopefully you still have the invoice for the carbon fiber hood, as you will need to submit this to his insurance company to and should be paid in full for the hood.

Good luck

Originally posted by cjay^
    Its hilarious how all of these people keep posting telling you to call your insurance. If they would just read the fucking post its pretty obvious you already did...

Anyway, just call his insurance company ASAP! get a claim number, take your car in to a body shop of your choice (pick a good one of course, dont give him a break on this) and hopefully you still have the invoice for the carbon fiber hood, as you will need to submit this to his insurance company to and should be paid in full for the hood.

Good luck

Well I'm giving him the full answer and the why.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

Hopefully he tells the truth. If he says you rear-ended him you might not have a lot to fight them with.

Originally posted by Zhariak

As far as you know, you clearly know nothing. READ THE ORIGINAL POST. OP Doesn't have collision coverage, therefore his insurance company won't cover it. You get what you pay for and since the OP didn't order a big mac and only fries, he's not getting a free big mac.

OP , you should be fine, as long as the other guy doesn't be a bitch and say you rear ended him, but if you've already spoken to his insurance company, and have a contact # and a claim#, then it won't get lost in the mix of things. Be persistant, but don't be annoying.

This SHOULD Help a bit:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/272559/in...im-experience/
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    RHD-S13/LHD-S13

Originally posted by tom_9109

Well I'm giving him the full answer and the why.
    Yeah and good on you.

What I posted was directed more towards the 3 people that posted their suggestions when obviously they don't have a clue about how liability coverage actually works.

Good luck!....

Wow, his excuse was that he was "lost"???...who the fuck does that? He just backs up like that to make a "lane change" wtf?!?!?! Why didn't he do it when the light went green again....did you question him at the scene? Maybe he was drunk too, or he was just a fucking moron....I hope you gave him a nice Calgarian welcome. Fucking retards like this is the reason I keep one hand on my horn when I drive around, I don't know how many times I saved myself from getting hit by laying on the horn to wake up a fucking driver... ...Good luck with this claim though, it's part of owning a vehicle, dealing with shit like this.....it's been almost a year since a moving van turned into my vehicle and we're dealing with an American insurance company as well....

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Pray he doesn't just lie and say you rear ended him - very likely to happen unfortunately unless you have other witnesses??

And frankly if he does lie outright I'd have no issues if you all of a sudden "find" a car witness that saw it happen.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have all my receipts for everything in my car since day one, so that's good and taken care of. I took down his insurance at the scene and he didnt take down mine, so hopefully that also helps in clarifying liability if he tries to flip it around on me, although he did seem very genuine and apologetic at the scene (I know not to trust anyone on good will in this sort of thing, but just saying).

I honestly do believe he was lost and just kind of flustered, said the back of the tinted out Tahoe was full of stuff with the move... but still side view mirrors are always good to check too Anyway trying to be persistent without be annoying and hopefully it all plays out as it should. Really appreciate the replies and support.

On that note, can anyone recommend a bodyshop to get a rad support replaced? Also any integra or civic owners who've had it done before, how much did it run you? I know the cost of my hood and a replacement headlight the last unknown figure for me is the rad support.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Contemporary Coachworks or Screaming Paintworks

My Ride
    CBR 929

There are some good people out there, I had a friend's car that was backed into by a drunk at a baseball game in LA and witnesses stopped him and got his info, left it for out friend. In the end he did get everything fixed and paid for by the others insurance (from the US).

[url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast