Quantcast
Review: Holy Smoke BBQ and Smoke Pit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Holy Smoke BBQ and Smoke Pit

Default Review: Holy Smoke BBQ and Smoke Pit

Name: Holy Smoke BBQ and Smoke pit

Price: $10-15 for a sandwich, drink, and side. They also serve beer.

This place reminds me of the southern BBQ shacks that you would see on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, I could smell the aroma of authentic smokey BBQ. When I stepped inside, people were seated on picnic tables inside, with trays lined with was paper full of BBQ ribs, pulled pork and beef brisket sandwiches, baked beans, macaroni salad, you name it.

I decided to go for a small 4oz pulled pork sandwich ($5.50) with a few pieces of ribs ($1/bone). The large sandwiches were 8oz of meat and were around $9. Along the wall was a wide variety of different BBQ sauces, ranging from smokey hot, original, applewood, tequila, and more (probably about 10 different sauces in total)

Service was quick and friendly. The gentleman at the till was super nice and asked if I had any questions about the menu. Very friendly and pleasant.

The atmosphere is awesome. There were a good mix of office workers and construction workers, which is quite common for the area, much like the crowd you would see at Rocky's Burger Bus down the street. There are spots to sit down inside, which is nice because the meal gets quite messy. Definitely would be messy to eat in the car.

As for the food itself, the pulled pork sandwich had a nice smokey flavor to it. It comes topped with some homemade slaw, on a whole wheat bun. My only complaint was that the bun wasn't toasted, and the juices from the pulled pork made the bun kind of soggy. The sandwich doesn't come topped with any sauce, so you are free to choose from the 10 different sauces previously mentioned.

The ribs were fantastic for $1 a rib! They are smoked dry, with only a dry rub and not slathered in sauce. They are pretty tender and had a nice smokey flavor to it. You can add your own sauce so that the sauce doesn't overpower the flavor of the smoke. It leaves a wonderful smell on your fingers all day long!

Overall, awesome place to grab a quick lunch in the summertime. It does get quite busy during lunch hours, and I'm not too sure what the hours are like.

I will be going back for the beef brisket next time!! They even have something called a "manwich" which is basically 4oz of pulled pork and 4oz of beef brisket. I'll leave that for a hungry day!

That sounds awesome, man! Are they open nights and weekends, or only weekdays?

only on weekdays from 10-4

Too bad they have such shitty hours.

My pregnant wife is addicted to that show and already sent me to BigT's. Might have to tell her about this place.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

yes! i've been looking for a place like this! 'drive ins, diners & dives' is the best show ever, lol. too bad they aren't open on weekends but i will make it my resolve to try this place out on my next day off. thank for the head's up!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i love that place! they now have the manwich and also serve beer... ribs seem to have gotten smaller though... but it might have just been that batch we got last time

My Ride
    335i

Nice to see a good southern style bbq place in town!
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

how busy are these guys during lunch time??

Sweet, thanks for the review. This place is just down the street from my shop and I pass by it a few times a day but I have never bothered to check it out...

...will stop by for lunch now though!

My Ride
    jetta

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
    how busy are these guys during lunch time??

Went there today at lunch and Had no problems finding a seat. Started to get busier around 1230.

I had the pulled pork and it was decent, next time i will get the manwich. Your first trip there i would get a small sandwich and 4 or 5 ribs. Try all the sauces as well.

i tried this place out for lunch today since i love bbq. what can i say? this place is awesome! the staff is super friendly and the food is excellent. i had the small pulled pork sandwich and i ordered some ribs. there were a bunch of sauces on the side so i just started taking samples of most of them, lol.

it's really unfortunate that these guys' hour of operation is so short because i wouldn't mind driving all the way there for dinner. the space is pretty small, though, so if you're planning to go with a large group, it probably wouldn't be the best idea. they do have a couple of picnic tables outside the restaurant.

i called 15 mins ahead for my order so the wait time was under 5 mins. the line up was pretty long (then again, i went at 12pm).

i'd definitely recommend this place!

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Holy Smokes! This place is gooood. Went there for lunch today, got the small pulled pork, cornbread, and 2 ribs.

Everything was amazing, although one of the sauces (Hot Mama) was a little bit too vinegary for me.

I'm looking forward to going back and trying all of the sauces. Any favorite ones out there?

Meh...

I've had better (my own)

I really should start selling rubs and sauces or cater...

3rd place overall this weekend, cause we got a DQ because my buddy cut the meat wrong causing one judge to pull the entire medallion for the Pork Butt :P

1st Ribs
    2nd Brisket
    3rd Chicken
    0 for Pork

We would've won hands down as we were only 2 points from second (house of Q) and barely away from the Canadian Champ Prarie Smoke & Spice

1st in Ribs is huge, we beat the Canadian Champ on his best game lol, but Rob's a good guy and many people were surprised as we are always well... underrated in our approach

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    Meh...

I've had better (my own)

I really should start selling rubs and sauces or cater...

3rd place overall this weekend, cause we got a DQ because my buddy cut the meat wrong causing one judge to pull the entire medallion for the Pork Butt :P

1st Ribs
    2nd Brisket
    3rd Chicken
    0 for Pork

We would've won hands down as we were only 2 points from second (house of Q) and barely away from the Canadian Champ Prarie Smoke & Spice

1st in Ribs is huge, we beat the Canadian Champ on his best game lol, but Rob's a good guy and many people were surprised as we are always well... underrated in our approach
    Congrats! So... BBQ at your place to celebrate?? Ill bring the potato salad.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

nm

Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

Congrats! So... BBQ at your place to celebrate?? Ill bring the potato salad.
    lol, maybe one day!

Mind u, u might not want to eat our "competition" food... not so good for your health.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by me_dennis
    only on weekdays from 10-4
    WTF? That sucks, I wanna try this place.

i might go today for lunch just for the heck of it.

r3ccOs, would you be willing to sell ribs with your recipe for $1/bone? LOL!!!

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
    i might go today for lunch just for the heck of it.

r3ccOs, would you be willing to sell ribs with your recipe for $1/bone? LOL!!!
    @ resturant wholesale prices, if we were to start a catering company, sure!

You can get side ribs st.louis cuit for about 79 cents per lb.... thats ridiculously cheap

I like using back ribs (loin back/baby back) and those are still quite cheap at resturant prices

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast