Quantcast
How many cars can you own in 1 year? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How many cars can you own in 1 year?

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Default How many cars can you own in 1 year?

I heard after a certain ammount of vehicles you need a sellers license. What's the max you can have in a year?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I believe it is 4. Not sure if that is from Jan-Dec, or from any given 1-year span.

...and it isn't how many you can OWN in a year; it is how many you can SELL.

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

I've talked to my gf who owns a local registries and she's assured me there is no number on private sales. I was under the impression as well that there was a cap, but she's positive there isn't.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    4x4

It's a bylaw... Buy/sell more than 5 vehicles in a year and the city wants it's cut - so you need the license and the rezoning for a home based buisness, and don't forget that amvic license and...

Yes I've had bylaw here about that too

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

One of the used car guys I've had a conversation with had some sneaky bullshit way of avoiding they bylaw and AMVIC but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Greasy shit.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Well, I am not positive, but I believe if you buy a car to resell and never register it, there is really no way of them knowing....

My Ride
    4x4

Nah it's pretty much based on complaints from neighbours... If you've got something out forsale on the street 24/7/365 and one of your neighbours gets crabby about it - they've got something to charge you under...

I got a bit of crap over it - had sold more vehicles than allowed, but only one of them was a flip (and even it was 6 months) the others were 1-5 years owned...

if you sell more than 4 a year, amvic can fine you

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Well, I am not positive, but I believe if you buy a car to resell and never register it, there is really no way of them knowing....

They actually can. I know a guy who got busted by AMVIC, never registered 1 of the cars, yet they came to his house with the list of 30-something cars he sold over the past 2 years

Originally posted by G-ZUS

They actually can. I know a guy who got busted by AMVIC, never registered 1 of the cars, yet they came to his house with the list of 30-something cars he sold over the past 2 years
    what ended up happening?

My Ride
    jdm b18c

Originally posted by friedn00dles

what ended up happening?
    Got charged $35000.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by top_speed

Got charged $35000.
    Some where around there, 25 or 35 000 can't remember

They track seller's information (among other details) off the Bill of Sale sheets, which will give a running tally of how many vehicles you are selling, even if you don't register the vehicle.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Well... if it was only 25g's, that's not too bad.

Those are HEFTY fines. Now, if he was really selling 30 cars in that kind of timespan then I can't really blame them for going after him. But for someone who sells 5 or 6 cars a year I think they will care less about.

It's like your income tax. The government KNOWS people fudge them here and there, and they don't have the time or resources to go after everyone. But if you're blatant about it, then you're fucked.

That's interesting info about the bill of sale. I always thought it was recorded via registration. The more you know....

Well... if it was only 25g's, that's not too bad.

Those are HEFTY fines. Now, if he was really selling 30 cars in that kind of timespan then I can't really blame them for going after him. But for someone who sells 5 or 6 cars a year I think they will care less about.

It's like your income tax. The government KNOWS people fudge them here and there, and they don't have the time or resources to go after everyone. But if you're blatant about it, then you're fucked.

That's interesting info about the bill of sale. I always thought it was recorded via registration. The more you know....

You can tell yourself that but it's blatantly obviously that you flip cars for profit.

Ok... I hope this makes sense...

One poster mentioned that everything can be tracked thru registries. Which is true. The government changed their policies and made it mandatory for registry clerks to keep a copy of the proof of sale for any motor vehicle/trailer etc. That copy gets put into the database in case there are future descrepancies. It can be pulled at any time thru microfilm documents.

So, if you are selling 50 cars a year, obviously they can track the sale of the car thru that bill of sale that was copied into microfilm.

Now... here is where it is a gray area. As far as Alberta Registries go... we dont give a shit about whether you have an AMVIC or business licence. The only time we care about it is if you are attempting to get a dealer plate. Thats it.

So.... if you call AMVIC and ask them "hey, how many cars do I have to sell a year to be able to qualify for AMVIC?" They are going to tell you one. The moment you sell a car for profit, they expect you to have an AMVIC licence. However... if you sell the car as a "private sale" then they don't care. (Will they tell the average person this? Nope) What is a private sale?? Well.... let me tell ya According to amvic, a private sale occurs when the vehicle being sold is the persons own car. So, if you bomb around in the car a little, sure... it could be considered your own. If you buy a car, park it in the driveway with a for sale sign on it right away.... probably not going to qualify under the private sale portion of what they follow.

The other side of the coin is the neighbour thing that AndyL mentioned. The public can call into Amvic and complain about vehicles being sold privately, which will then trigger an investigation.

So.... in the end, there are ways around it. But, from anyone within government, they will only tell you that AMVIC is necessary, end of story.

Hopefully that makes a little sense...