Quantcast
Price match at Vistek? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Price match at Vistek?

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by quazimoto
    I dunno I once saw a guy at TCS trying to sell a pentax system over a nikon system telling the guy there is absolutely no real world advantage to buying Nikon over pentax? I think all of the stores have some people that aren't so bright.
    Wut.. This sounds legit to me?
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by C4S
    Vistek is a good place (downtown one), and in general, they will match TCS price, (for in stock item)

I thought someone mentioned earlier that it doesnt' have to be in stock item?

that's just it. I think you need to build up credability with one of the major retailers and just stick to it and don't go elsewhere. I don't have any issues at vistek and they treat me very well. Something about them maybe building customer loyalty since they know photographers come back time and time again.

The commisions they make on cameras aren't specific to the store to my knowledge and each camera manufacturer is different. I think Canon uses some point system where as Nikon basically just gives a percentage of the sale back to the sales person.

Either way a lot of the people down at the vistek downtown store aren't biased and won't sway people. Some stores its basically why do you want this when you can have that.

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

Originally posted by clem24

Wut.. This sounds legit to me?
    I hope this is sarcasm.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Originally posted by Pollywog

I hope this is sarcasm.
    To a noob who has no real idea how to shoot and is only buying a DSLR to "upgrade" from their P&S and keep it in auto mode... there is no real world advantage. I would say the majority of these new DSLR buyers are in this category.

Originally posted by AccentAE86

To a noob who has no real idea how to shoot and is only buying a DSLR to "upgrade" from their P&S and keep it in auto mode... there is no real world advantage. I would say the majority of these new DSLR buyers are in this category.
    As much as I agree, after a little while when the person isn't a noob anymore, wouldn't it be better to not sell the camera at a loss and move up to Nikon/Canon? Especially with the cost being the same, I'd rather buy once than twice.

That's not to say the person won't just love the 4/3 camera and stay with it either, but if they are being told by the sales people everything is the same and there is no chance they will regret the purchase as they start to get more into photography, that is misleading IMO.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

As much as I agree, after a little while when the person isn't a noob anymore, wouldn't it be better to not sell the camera at a loss and move up to Nikon/Canon? Especially with the cost being the same, I'd rather buy once than twice.

That's not to say the person won't just love the 4/3 camera and stay with it either, but if they are being told by the sales people everything is the same and there is no chance they will regret the purchase as they start to get more into photography, that is misleading IMO.
    Agreed. At least if they went with a canon/Nikon, the glass would be one of the only things they would have to upgrade unless they are looking for more low-light sensitivity or AF points - of which even the most basic Nikon models provide adequately nowadays. The new D3100 is going to be their most "base" model DSLR, yet it is the first Nikon with full 1080p recording as well as hi2 12800iso (3200 norm max) - more than most people would need.

Edit: I borrowed a Pentax K-x for just over a week, and as much as I kind of like the Pentax niche, I feel much more pleased with a good Nikon or Canon body. I liked the kit lens a bit more on the Pentax vs Nikon's or Canon's 18-55, but the slow shutter drive and slower AF speed (as well as a few other things) were a bummer.
    Last edited by Pollywog; 08-25-2010 at 07:50 PM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Pentax has some excellent primes. Sony has Ziess glass and cheap FF. And both have in body IS which is appealing. In reality for a hobby shooter you'd never have to "move up" to Nikon/Canon from either brand.

Vistek are dicks and they'll laugh at you if you find a good deal to pricematch with. Avoid.

Originally posted by stefan15
    Vistek are dicks and they'll laugh at you if you find a good deal to pricematch with. Avoid.
    Have you read the thread? Many people have had complete success price matching with them, including myself, on multiple occasions - even when the item was out of stock at the competitor.

Originally posted by stefan15
    I personally haven't done any price match at vistek. But my wife did. It was a pretty expensive item... no questions asked, no hassles.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Now on a side note, have any of beyonder shopped at Robinsons Camera?

They have the lens I am planning to buy at a lower price (~$30). I found their listing in kijiji and asked if it is a return because it is cheaper, they said it is not, and it does come with warrenty.

My Ride

Originally posted by blitz
    Pentax has some excellent primes. Sony has Ziess glass and cheap FF. And both have in body IS which is appealing. In reality for a hobby shooter you'd never have to "move up" to Nikon/Canon from either brand.
    Equally good point - im on the fence on this one now.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by Pollywog

Agreed. At least if they went with a canon/Nikon, the glass would be one of the only things they would have to upgrade unless they are looking for more low-light sensitivity or AF points - of which even the most basic Nikon models provide adequately nowadays. The new D3100 is going to be their most "base" model DSLR, yet it is the first Nikon with full 1080p recording as well as hi2 12800iso (3200 norm max) - more than most people would need.

Edit: I borrowed a Pentax K-x for just over a week, and as much as I kind of like the Pentax niche, I feel much more pleased with a good Nikon or Canon body. I liked the kit lens a bit more on the Pentax vs Nikon's or Canon's 18-55, but the slow shutter drive and slower AF speed (as well as a few other things) were a bummer.
    Not everyone (i.e. MOST people who buy entry level DSLRs) will take it beyond what comes with the camera. Not everyone feels like investing $1000+ in a lens. Not everyone wants to take their shooting to the next level. Do you really think the soccer mom that just wants better pics of her kids will give a shit about a wider selection glass? Not at all. There's a market for Pentax. There's a market for Panasonic and Olympus. Heck, now even Samsung has jumped into the game. Even if Nikon and Canon owns the DSLR market, there's obviously still room for competitors, otherwise they wouldn't be spending all this money creating products.

And slow AF speed? What are you comparing it to? Last I checked, neither the entry level Nikon nor Canon bodies have stellar AF speed either. Slow shutter drive? Do you really think people care? My D200 has been on high speed drive, I don't know, twice in the 4 years that I've owned it?

I mean, if everything was so simple, why doesn't the whole world just drive Hondas and Toyotas?
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

I love vistek, they price match and beat on several occassions for me.

I recently picked up a LP-E6 battery(5D Battery), 112 at camera store. Got it for 90. Retailed 119 at vistek.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Update: So I went to Vistek to check out a lens that I was interested to purchase. I asked her if Vistek does price matching, she said they do. And without hesitation she gave me a price that's less then what other store is pricing at.

This was my first time going to Vistek, but I definitely will be going back.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Originally posted by HiSpec
    Now on a side note, have any of beyonder shopped at Robinsons Camera?

They have the lens I am planning to buy at a lower price (~$30). I found their listing in kijiji and asked if it is a return because it is cheaper, they said it is not, and it does come with warrenty.
    Long time ago .. what they did, not just price match, but beat the price!

Anyway, now I suspect Sanfen15 is working for TCS or Future shop etc .. lol
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2