Quantcast
speedtech closing? - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: speedtech closing?

My Ride
    is in storage, due to the recession!!!

Good, those scamming pricks!! I have seen first hand how those guys treated the cars back there.

Starting cars without oil in it. (Thats why they never worked on mine)

Guys working on cars, guys not even fuckin apprentices, no licensed mechanics fuck all. Good,, karmas a bitch you fuckers!!!!

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by superboss
    Good, those scamming pricks!! I have seen first hand how those guys treated the cars back there.

Starting cars without oil in it. (Thats why they never worked on mine)

Guys working on cars, guys not even fuckin apprentices, no licensed mechanics fuck all. Good,, karmas a bitch you fuckers!!!!
    Proof?

My Ride
    Mirage

Honestly it sucks to see a shop shut down that has been in Calgary for so long and gave Calgary some badass rides. If you had a bad experience with them Im sure I could find somebody that had the same thing with your favorite shop, no matter what the automotive industry is full of lovely surprises and sometimes it happens to the best of them.

It easy to criticize a shop but dont forgot all the bad ass rides you would see in the scene thanks to the same guys. They definitly helped put the scene on the map.

My $.02

Current Whips:
    2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    2004 Silverado 2500HD 7" Lift
    2001 Silverado StepSide 2/3 Lowered

My Ride
    06 S2000

IBTL
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    IBTL

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by A790

Proof?
    ^^ I can vouch superboss to a CERTAIN extent.

From my first couple experiences at STRD, there was a miscommunication where I did not want any of my parts installed by them, but when I came to pick up my parts, I .seen my exhaust and wheels were already installed. No biggie honestly, I would just double-check everything myself when I went home.

However, when I went into my car, I found a half drunken bottle of coke in there, and some other little bits of garbage. I walked back into the shop and told Tien and he was extremely apologetic. Honestly, that's pretty bullshit. Why was there stuff in my car? Did they take it for lunch or something?

Second: They ship out the alarm installs and whatnot to a guy near Speedtech. I had an issue with my car back then and did not know about it. So I ended up giving my keys to some guy who I thought was just going to drive it into the back. No, he drove it out onto the road.. I asked Will, "Where is he going with my car? And why didn't anyone tell me it wasn't in the shop here. I could have easily drove there myself.."

That's when I found out about the alarm installs being done elsewhere. Sad thing is, I was waiting at Speedtech for over 30 minutes for them to diagnose a problem I wasn't even there for.. Then he drives the car back and says its all fixed, and left a fucking stinky smoke smell in my car. It's like he just drove there, smoked a cig while the installer did work, and then drove back. He might have even smoked IN my car. Pig.

I am still super pissed about those 2 events. I did not go back to Speedtech for a LONG time until one of my HID ballasts shit on me and I contacted Will who was great as always. I happened to meet Paul on the same day and getting to know Paul a bit more made me a bit more comfortable with Speedtech and how they treat their customers. That's when I ONLY dealt with Will and Paul, and I seen Tien pop in and out at times.

For the most part, most of the guys I dealt with at Speedtech are great. There is just a couple occasions where I was not happy at all. It's funny because I never saw that guy ever again. From then on, everyone I talked to was great.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 08-25-2010 at 11:11 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

See that's bullshit right there. Was it over a short time period? Maybe it was a random shitty employee that was turfed shortly there after. This is what an interview is useful for obviously but hey, sometimes you gotta help out "friends"... or something.

Maybe in my mind, it's easier to run a business than it actually is. But everyone is a customer to someone. Treat people how you want to be treated. It's not that fucking hard. Crack the whip, cut the bullshit and people will come. I just mean in general, not to Speedtech directly. Regardless, young owners might try to be laid back about things but honestly it's naive and irresponsible.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by msommers
    See that's bullshit right there. Was it over a short time period? Maybe it was a random shitty employee that was turfed shortly there after. This is what an interview is useful for obviously but hey, sometimes you gotta help out "friends"... or something.

Maybe in my mind, it's easier to run a business than it actually is. But everyone is a customer to someone. Treat people how you want to be treated. It's not that fucking hard. Crack the whip, cut the bullshit and people will come. I just mean in general, not to Speedtech directly. Regardless, young owners might try to be laid back about things but honestly it's naive and irresponsible.
    Yeah it was a short period of time in the summer, but I have a feeling the guy was employed there for a decent amount of time. But yeah, I haven't seen him since and after 6-8 months when I visited again, all the staff there was great.

You're right msommers, it was likely just one shitty employee. It's important to know that one shitty employee can taint the reputation of a business quite greatly.

My Ride
    NC1

I am surprised they are closing so abruptly. I know some of the OG's are down with the STRD crew and it's loyalty for them to keep quiet or maybe they don't know either lol but why hasn't someone from STRD make an official post yet?

When Option Import closed shop, Jim was classy enough to put in his word.

Not hating, just saying.

The only thing I ever bought from STRD was 5 Compu-star alarm installs and I was satisfied with the price and service each time.

I do want to thank them for their contribution to the scene. They really help push things forward with their sick builds. Definitely gonna be missed but it's all good, we have illMotion now!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I used to work with one of STRD's HR employee, and she told me that a lot of the guys there (probably the ones most of you mentioned, the turfed ones) they are not very punctual, they just come in late/leave early and some are really lazy. To me, in a service industry, punctuality is a big part of becoming successful.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Exactly. How long has Tunerworks been around for now? Maybe there is a reason for that?!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Skateboard

The clientele at Tunerworks is at a whole different ballgame not your usual high schoolers ricing up their beat civics/integras with a $200 budget.

Exactly. How long has Tunerworks been around for now? Maybe there is a reason for that?!

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by G
    The clientele at Tunerworks is at a whole different ballgame not your usual high schoolers ricing up their beat civics/integras with a $200 budget.

Tunerworks typically caters to a more Euro crowd, which overall is a little more expensive. This isn't to say that they don't carry Jap/etc that STRD would, but depending on what your looking for, it's not hard to find a better price than Tunerworks. I typically only go to Tunerworks to avoid hassle, or if they have something I want in stock.. Otherwise, I shop semi-exclusively from a Toronto vendor off of another forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by G

That's fair to say. Budget aside (since apparently this had nothing to do with lack of funds), how are they handling business differently? I mean it's right in the post above mine...to avoid hassle. That says something. People are willing to pay a premium to deal face to face with consistently good service. Hiccups are inevitable but from so many stories, even in this thread, Speedtech's inconsistent service really hurt their reputation and I'm willing to wager, a large part of their books.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Skateboard

I totally agree on the service level provided by TW. Rob answered my emails even while on holidays directing Bobby to help me out. Then following up on it when he returned to work....that can't be beat

That's fair to say. Budget aside (since apparently this had nothing to do with lack of funds), how are they handling business differently? I mean it's right in the post above mine...to avoid hassle. That says something. People are willing to pay a premium to deal face to face with consistently good service. Hiccups are inevitable but from so many stories, even in this thread, Speedtech's inconsistent service really hurt their reputation and I'm willing to wager, a large part of their books.

My Ride
    Kraftwerks S2000 (ap1)

all i hear in this thread is bickering like why cant we just all agree to disagree some ppl like some shops some ppl like other shops !!!
    and plus speedtech pumped out alot of nice cars not saying other shops didn't... All i am trying to say is that a big part of Calgary's "scene" is now gone

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Disoblige

Second: They ship out the alarm installs and whatnot to a guy near Speedtech. I had an issue with my car back then and did not know about it. So I ended up giving my keys to some guy who I thought was just going to drive it into the back. No, he drove it out onto the road.. I asked Will, "Where is he going with my car? And why didn't anyone tell me it wasn't in the shop here. I could have easily drove there myself.."

That's when I found out about the alarm installs being done elsewhere.
    It was likely done by Ringo, from Grand car audio
    this guy at this business
    Grand Car Audio

^ Notice hes less then a block east on 32nd ave, right beside the car salon.

FWIW, Ringo is a fantastic installer, and knows WTF he's doing. I wouldn't be the least bit annoyed he worked on your car.

Anyway, my $0.02, was Speedtech was a white elephant.
    It makes little sense to have a typical store these days that'll have even a remotely adequate supply of parts for the automotive tuning community.
    When you think about how many individual parts are required for even a simple turbo & engine build for a single car, its not hard to realize that having enough warehouse space to supply all the different makes & models (even remotely) is damn near impossible.
    Thats why the internet store community is such a valuable resource. You dont need a nice warehouse on a nice street, staffed by nice people. All you need is a comprehensive selection of parts and a great webpage.
    The overhead is MUCH less then a shop like Speedtech. Yet your customer base is surreal in comparison.

Originally posted by G

X10.... Thats why I avoided that store like the plague. Just the cars parked outside and the kids I'd see loitering around that store..... urgh...
    Tunerworks was in a whole new ball game. I have *MUCH* more appreciation for a place like that then Speedtech could have ever dreamed of.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 08-27-2010 at 09:48 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Will, Rockey and Pat were good shit the rest i dinno so much.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

When you think about how many individual parts are required for even a simple turbo & engine build for a single car, its not hard to realize that having enough warehouse space to supply all the different makes & models (even remotely) is damn near impossible.
    Thats why the internet store community is such a valuable resource. You dont need a nice warehouse on a nice street, staffed by nice people. All you need is a comprehensive selection of parts and a great webpage.
    Maybe that's what they're working on? Or maybe Will already owns one (warehouse parts distribution)

Think you're onto something.

I only dealt with Will at Speedtech, he even lent me his own car while mine was in their shop, sucks to hear they are closing, good luck Will.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast