Quantcast
The Walking Dead (nothing but a big bitchfest by people who still watch) - Page 84 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 84 of 140 FirstFirst ... 74 83 84 85 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2792

Thread: The Walking Dead (nothing but a big bitchfest by people who still watch)

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by flipstah

Mirrors can do that?
    Yeah, they explained it in the same episode Andrea set up the meeting in

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Seriously guys? The writers did us all a favour by sparing us the details of how the meeting was arranged and you guys still complain? If they had dedicated a whole episode of her going back and forth to set up a meeting, you guys would've bitched about how it was a waste of an episode
    No, but leaving everybody going "wtf" at the beginning of a show is just shitty writing when it doesn't get answered for a good 5-10 minutes.

A writer/director/actor has to make you able to suspend your disbelief of what may be an unrealistic scenario happening on the show in order to submerse yourself in it. Every stupid thing that breaks that suspension is a failure on their part, and I have every right to criticize it.

All it simply had to be right off the bat was maybe showing Andrea driving away from the prison, then cutting to her at the town, and the governor, milton, or whoever, asking if the meeting had been setup. She'd go yea, they agreed to such and such a place at this time.

BOOM! Not more than 30 seconds of screen time. They could have taken that 30 seconds out of the two leaders staring each other down for an hour and nobody would have went "well FUCK I needed an extra minute of them contemplating each other, those mother fuckers are terrible directors and should be shot".

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

No, it's not called shitty writing, it's called building suspense. It kept you watching and wondering how they got to that point, which was revealed within a few minutes. Not everything has to be spoon fed to the audience in a linear fashion. And 30 seconds of Andrea zipping around back and forth isn't necessary when it can just be addressed with a single line: "I wanted you two to talk". Okay sure, they could've written it differently with Andrea at the barn from the beginning talking to someone saying "I've arranged for The Governor and Rick to meet. They'll be here in a few minutes." but that's boring as fuck and this show is meant to keep you wondering what's going to happen.

And realistically, do you know how much 30 seconds of screen time costs when it comes to production, especially with the multiple scenes you're suggesting? Just to handhold the viewers that don't get it? This isn't a big budget show. The writers and director must have thought the audience would figure it out eventually.

When we you saw Lori was fat and Herschel had a beard at the start of the season, were you confused as to what was going on? Because they sure didn't look like that at the end of last season! Did you need that 30 seconds to recap everything that happened in the elapsed ~6 months?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

it's called building suspense.
    People wondering if they missed an episode is not suspense. It then breaks your immersion in the show (especially if you do what I did and check to make sure you didn't miss an episode).

It's bad diligence on the shows part. Quit being an apologizer for the show when people who get paid WAY more money than I do pop out a turd every once in a while.

My Ride
    Silverado

Not everything has to be spoon fed to the audience in a linear fashion.
    amen

Not everything has to be spoon fed to the audience in a linear fashion.
    I agree that nonlinear storytelling is awesome.
    Last edited by FixedGear; 03-11-2013 at 08:50 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by FixedGear

I agree that nonlinear storytelling is awesome.

Darrell and his stupid cross bow.. Not something I'd bring to a potentially large gun fight.

I also don't know why they dont kill biters as a pass time out in the yard by simply stabbing them thru the fence, rather then staring at them.
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 03-11-2013 at 09:45 PM.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

While I can get over a lot of things in this show, Supa Dexta's comment totally rings true. The prison is their one safe place and while they hardened places with the metal tables and wooden crates to defend again humans, no efforts been made to take back the fences?

When the Gov. took down the main gates, I would have made it my first priority to secure the inside (which they did). But afterwords, you would think some attempt would be made to regain the middle portion of the yard which is just missing the gate, before pushing out even farther.

All those zombies just sitting on the fence should all be "shogun'd" as Merle said and then burned, the outlying ones can be dragged in with minimal noise or an animal, like the rates in cages, back in town.

After a few days of fence clearing, there would be few enough zombies they could chain together the gate pieces and reestablish a larger safety perimeter.

In the comic book they worked out a piece of wood with a knife through it and they would puncture zombies heads through it (the piece of wood is so the knife wouldn't get pulled down with the body if you lost your grip).

Not sure why they haven't started doing this in the tv show yet :/

I mean the longer they leave that midfield open, the more zombies get in making it more difficult to clear.

That initial truckload would have been 15-20 + maybe 15-20 more from outside the gate. Now they're probably looking at around 75-100. As time passes, will only become more.

In the comics:

Then later (about 3 comics later)

Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I liked the episode. There was a lot of subtext to what was going on that I really enjoyed.

Ultimately, everyone knew that this meeting was an exercise in posturing. Martinez and Darryl knew it. Hershel and Milton knew it. The Governor and Rick knew it. Andrea, to much chagrin, still holds a glimmer of hope that she can prevent the inevitable war that's going to happen, but it's quickly fading.

So it's a set-up for, what will hopefully be, some crazy stuff that will go down. Both groups are on a collision course, and people are going to get hurt.

The structures of the group are set up so similarly that it makes the audience (at least me anyways) see how easily each group could have turned the other way.

Milton <=> Hershel
    Darryl <=> Martinez
    Governor <=> Rick

The bonding moments between the 'advisors' and the 'lieutenant' did a great job pointing that part out, and of course setting both groups towards each other.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

By the way, anyone see Lauren Cohan (Maggie) on Talking Dead?

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

A .22 caliper rifle and 80 round bannana clip with a homemade silencer and they could wipe out the entire zombies in about 10 minutes outside the jail.
    My weapon of choice.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

I can see the point in leaving zombies surrounding the prison, to keep others away and using them as a form of protection.. I just meant the yard, which they had mentioned using for personal space, and planting a garden.. etc. Even 100 zombies could be easily dealt with in an hour.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    I can see the point in leaving zombies surrounding the prison, to keep others away and using them as a form of protection.. I just meant the yard, which they had mentioned using for personal space, and planting a garden.. etc. Even 100 zombies could be easily dealt with in an hour.
    A few episodes some people were outside securing fences and one of them got his head blown off.

Walking around taking out Zombies in the main yard leaves you open to get your head blown off in similar fashion.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I think the geeky little fucker is going to Ice the Gov.

My Ride
    I like. :)

Gov is one disturbed f^ck, everyone's able to get along but he his stupid brain is stuck on retard-bitch mode.

I thought it was badass when Rick seemed hardcore about preparing for battle and didn't mention anything about Michonne... but then he was outside with Hershel and I was like 'oh shit... he's going to do it...' he's going to fall for the Gov's lie.

I hope this season doesn't end again with both camps about to clash again, been there done that last season (or at least mid-season).

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by Kavy

A few episodes some people were outside securing fences and one of them got his head blown off.

Walking around taking out Zombies in the main yard leaves you open to get your head blown off in similar fashion.
    This. I think they're all abit paranoid right now and don't want to risk being out in the open especially after that prisoner guy got sniped by the governor.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by treg50
    Gov is one disturbed f^ck, everyone's able to get along but he his stupid brain is stuck on retard-bitch mode.

I thought it was badass when Rick seemed hardcore about preparing for battle and didn't mention anything about Michonne... but then he was outside with Hershel and I was like 'oh shit... he's going to do it...' he's going to fall for the Gov's lie.

I hope this season doesn't end again with both camps about to clash again, been there done that last season (or at least mid-season).
    I loved that part too, because it showed that it's not an easy decision. Rick's smart enough (and his experience as Sheriff) to detect a lot of bullshit, and I think he knows that The Governor is full of it when he says he'd leave them alone. But at the same time, he's also smart enough to know that he's outgunned and that people are going to die. Which is something he obviously doesn't want to have to go through again. So he's hoping that The Governor would be true to his word.

My Ride
    This and that.

The previews for the next episodes show a quick scene where a guy is fully engulfed in flames...that guy clearly looks like the governor. So I guess we know what happens.

Page 84 of 140 FirstFirst ... 74 83 84 85 94 ... LastLast