Quantcast
Shaw Blue Curve: ELI5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Shaw Blue Curve: ELI5

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Default Shaw Blue Curve: ELI5

Trying to do some research on the fly, parents decided they would order new services with Shaw, get BlueCurve and new PVRs installed from Shaw. Then reach out to me to find why none of their wifi worked when connecting to the previous wifi connections

From what I can see on Shaw's page, BlueCurve is an all in one modem/router/mesh network base, is that right? Are people getting away from using their own personal routers with this setup? Feel like it's secure enough as-is? The Shaw FAQ page seems to indicate that BlueCurve isn't compatible with 3rd party routers.

Right now they've got their Asus router plugged into the BlueCurve box and sometimes their Asus wifi connections work sometimes it doesnt. I havnt been able to get over there yet, but Id like to know how this should be setup. The blueCurve box has wifi settings printed on it, so it should be easy enough to get them to connect to it, but not sure how secure these things are.

Don't need Fort Knoxlevels of security, but if I can avoid having to deal with a "hacked" situation or a bitlocker attack, that'd be great.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

As with any Shaw modem if you want to use your own gear then the modem needs to be put in bridge mode.

But for most people Shaws equipment is fine.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Bluecurve TV boxes doesn’t need Shaw router or Wi-Fi. I set it up at a friends house, the modem in bridge mode, their own router, and unifi access points throughout the house. The TV boxes just connects to whatever Wi-Fi is available.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado

I didn't have any problems getting it to work with my router either. But shaw doesn't support it, I assume it could be problematic for some.

Now that I think about it I have to power cycle my devices some times as it loses connection to the router. No idea why.

But bluecurve is pretty sweet. Most streaming apps are fully integrated and the voice recognition is good. With the remote you can basically call up any show with a few words.