Quantcast
Birks & 'Watch service' - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Birks & 'Watch service'

Default Birks & 'Watch service'

Sorry guys didn't know where to put this...

Sooo I bought a titanium Tissot T-touch from 'Birks' about 4 years ago, I rarely ware the thing as I'm not a big fan of the strap it has so I took it in the other day to get a new rubber strap and the lady suggests I get the watch serviced as well. I figure why not because I will probably wear the watch a lot more with a more comfortable strap. She quotes me $100 for the service, and does not know the price of the strap off hand, whatever I get it sent out anyway.

FFWD to today, 2 weeks later, I receive a call from 'Birks', she tells me the MOVEMENT needs to be replaced along with gaskets and other misc things. Quotes me $550! Not including the strap which is another $200.

I know Tissot watches, and never has this problem, especially with a watch that is barely used and basically brand new. I stop in to talk to the lady I was dealing with to get a better idea of what is wrong with the watch; now I know they are more a Jewelry store but a high end store regardless and I expect excellent service. She tells me again that the movement is broken along with other things that need to be replaced, (basically a brand new watch), I tell her this is a bit outrageous for the condition and age of the watch, her response is "Well that is what you get for buying an expensive watch". Really? Wow.

I've sent a email off to Tissot to get an idea of common problems with this watch and basically rant at them for having a brand new watch pretty much useless now.

I know there are a lot of people here who have some knowledge on higher end watches, just looking for some input and any similar experiences.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Was it working and keeping time when you took it in? If so I would just stand your ground, sounds like maybe it was broken in shipping or at the shop where they service it (if they send it away). Generally stores have insurance for this type of thing or cover at least some part of the cost.

But yes, if hardly worn I would expect a watch to last more than ten years before having a big breakdown.

[url]

Isn't T-touch a battery operated watch? That's not an automatic movement that would "possibly" require a replacement if the movement failed (or parts, depending on cost and extend of parts required for replacement). Unless your watch wasn't working at all when you brought it in, I see zero reason why the "movement" needs to be replaced.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Even if the movement needs to be replaced, the ETA 48 movement costs under $100. $550 is a scam, especially when the watch new costs around $600-$800 depending on model.

I've never heard of someone wanting to service a quartz movement. Nobody does it. It just gets replaced because they're fairly cheap to buy. The only service on quartz would be a battery change ($10), seals changed ($5-$10), and pressure test.

$500 movement replacement service is more in line with a mechanical/automatic movement.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Decline the service and ask for the watch to be returned. If the watch is now broken (assuming it was working when you took it in), raise hell and make them fix it for free.

Well I declined the service and told them to get it sent back. The T-Touch is battery operated, and was told that needed to be replaced also. It was $1300 when I bought it in 04' but regardless I agree that it shouldn't cost almost half of what the watch originally cost.

It was also working when I brought it in, but wasn't on time. I'll wait and see when I get it back, thanks for the replies, helped out a lot!

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I have a tissot as well. Biggest piece of shit ever.

My tag was 3000 and has never skipped a beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I find that very interesting, considering most Tags are using "off the shelf" ETA movements, which are the exact same movements that go in Tissot and almost every other Swiss watch.

Originally posted by SJW
    I have a tissot as well. Biggest piece of shit ever.

My tag was 3000 and has never skipped a beat.

IIRC a T-Touch is a quartz watch...... shouldnt need a new movement unless you dont have a T-Touch. It is a mini-computer so unless it isnt working then they are full of it.

Or the seals are shot and you got water on it...

Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

Consider yourself somewhat lucky - I have to constantly tighten the screws on my Movado's strap daily. Despite that, it's worked flawlessly for years...

^
    Yea same watch. I have a couple other Tissot's and they have all been great!

Like I said only worn ~5 times over 4 years, so I doubt water getting past the seals is the issue. I'm pretty blown away that they would try and rip me off... Is there a reputable watch place here in Calgary that I can get to look over it when I get it back?

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

What's wrong with the watch, besides keeping bad time?

I would take it to Calgary Jewellers on 17th Ave or J.Vair Anderson (both are high end stores, with a watchmaker on site and they sell Tissot) and ask them for a simple battery change.

If that fixes it, just leave the watch alone. If the battery doesn't do the trick, send it to Swatch Canada for a free diagnosis and repair estimate.

Depending on the cost of repair, it might be better just to write off the watch and buy a new one on ebay for 60% off MSRP

Originally posted by 5.0
    ^
    Yea same watch. I have a couple other Tissot's and they have all been great!

Like I said only worn ~5 times over 4 years, so I doubt water getting past the seals is the issue. I'm pretty blown away that they would try and rip me off... Is there a reputable watch place here in Calgary that I can get to look over it when I get it back?
    Joe at the chinook sears is amazing and super trust worthy.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    LGT stage1 , AP1

I have the T touch, it's still running on the original battery, which was from 2003. The only problem I've had was the touch function going out of sync (after my kid threw it across the living room), which required a manual re-calibration (in the manual). One of my favorite watches for daily wear!