Quantcast
The latest news on realty market. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The latest news on realty market.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default The latest news on Calgary realty market.

Calgary Housing Market in a Period of Correction
    City of Calgary sales wane as town and country sales hold steady

Calgary, September 1, 2010 – Home sales in the city of Calgary continued to trend lower in the month of August, according to figures released today by the Calgary Real Estate Board (CREB®).

The number of single family homes sold in August 2010 in the city of Calgary was down 32 per cent from the same time a year ago, and condominium sales saw a decrease of 42 per cent from the same time a year ago.

August 2010 saw 867 single family homes sold in the city of Calgary. This is a decrease of 5 per cent from 915 sales in July 2010. In August 2009, single family home sales totalled 1,277. The number of condominium sales for the month of August 2010 was 364. This was a decrease of 8 per cent from the 396 condominium transactions recorded in July 2010. In August 2009, condominium sales were 632.

“Calgary’s housing market has been undergoing a measured correction over the past 4 to 5 months. Sales are trending lower as a result of a decrease in first time home buyers entering the market and a decline in pent up demand following a strong post-recession recovery,” says Diane Scott, president of CREB®.

“There has been much talk recently about the potential for a housing bubble in Canada--but the economic fundamentals at play make this scenario unlikely for Calgary. What we are seeing is an adjustment to higher levels of inventory and a shift to a buyer’s market.”

“A slower than anticipated pace of mortgage rate hikes and continued improvements in employment are more likely to bring stability rather than volatility into Calgary’s housing market as we move into 2011,” adds Scott.

The average price of a single family home in the city of Calgary in August 2010 was $445,617, showing a 4 per cent decrease from July 2010, when the average price was $464,655, and a decrease of 2 per cent from August 2009, when the average price was $454,130. The average price of a condominium in the city of Calgary in August 2010 was $286,384, showing a 2 per cent decrease from July 2010, when the average price was $291,168 and a 1 per cent increase over last year, when the average price was $283,330. Average price information can be useful in establishing trends over time, but does not indicate actual prices in centres comprised of widely divergent neighbourhoods, or account for price differentials between geographical areas.

“We expect a period of correction will continue into the fall of this year. Prices may sag in the short-term and level off as we move into 2011,” says Scott.

“Homebuyers and sellers should keep in mind that market trends are unique even throughout the wider Calgary region. A case in point is the relative strength of Calgary’s town and country market, where sales have remained at 2009 levels. Homebuyers and sellers should speak to a REALTOR® to better understand the opportunities in our current market,” says Scott.

The median price of a single family home in the city of Calgary for August 2010 was $395,000, showing a 1 per cent decrease from July 2010 and August 2009, when the median price was $400,000. The median price of a condominium in August 2010 was $260,000, showing a 3 per cent decrease from July 2010, when the median price was $268,000, and no change from August 2009, when it was the same – $260,000.

All city of Calgary MLS® statistics include properties listed and sold only within Calgary’s city limits. The median price is the price that is midway between the least expensive and most expensive home sold in an area during a given period of time. During that time, half the buyers bought homes that cost more than the median price and half bought homes for less than the median price.

Single family listings in the city of Calgary added for the month of August 2010 totalled 1,960, an increase of less than 1 per cent from July 2010 when 1,942 new listings were added, and showing an increase of 3 per cent from August 2009, when 1,910 new listings came to the market.

Condominium new listings in the city of Calgary added for August 2010 were 808, down 9 per cent from July 2010, when the MLS® saw 890 condo listings coming to the market. This is a decrease of 3 per cent from August 2009, when new condominium listings added were 832.

“Total month end inventory for the wider Calgary region is down marginally when compared to July—a trend we expect will continue in the coming months. New listings are also likely to recede in the coming months in response to slowing sales,” adds Scott.

CREB® is a professional body of 5,540 licensed brokers and registered associates, representing 245 member offices and is dedicated to enhancing the value, integrity and expertise of its REALTOR® members.

REALTORS® are committed to a high standard of professional conduct, ongoing education, and a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice. Using the services of a professional REALTOR® can help consumers take full advantage of real estate opportunities while reducing their risks when buying or selling real estate. The board does not generate statistics or analysis of any individual member or company’s market share. All MLS® active listings for Calgary and area may be found on the board’s website at www.creb.com.

Click here for the full statistics package. Please note: You will need your SafeMLS® token to log in to REALTORLink®.
    Last edited by 89coupe; 09-01-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Last edited by kaput; 04-01-2019 at 11:44 PM.

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

Wow I'm surprised they didn't throw the word "balanced" in there for once.

My Ride
    Skateboard

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1691639/

The second report is from The CD Howe Institute and some say is funded by the Toronto Real Estate Board.

Originally posted by kaput
    I found it very interesting watching the news on either Monday or Tuesday. One report came out saying straight up that Canada is in a housing bubble, and a second 'independent' report was released a day or so after saying exactly the opposite - nothing to see here folks. Coincidence? Well, it's not the first or the second time that's happened.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Its gotten alot busier for me in the past week or so, I think alot of people feel its hit its low for the year and are now egar to buy. also ive seen 5 yars fixxed rates as low as 3.33%

As they just said on global, its for sure a buyers market. 7300 active listings (single family homes and condos)

I think we are in for a pretty decent fall.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

Originally posted by JordanLotoski
    as low as 3.33%
    holy cock, I locked in at 389 and thought that was crazy low. How, since prime has risen since then, does the rate DROP to 333?
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

I cant seem to find it on my blackberry. Was with a client today that managed to get a 3.29% I think it's a great time to buy, super low interest rates teamed up with good home prices. Also being a buyers market we are seeing homes sell for quite a bit under list price again.

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    2008 Ford Edge

Originally posted by Cos

holy cock, I locked in at 389 and thought that was crazy low. How, since prime has risen since then, does the rate DROP to 333?
    Because fixed term mortgage rates have nothing to do with the prime interest rate. They're tied to the bond market.

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

I cant seem to find it on my blackberry. Was with a client today that managed to get a 3.29% I think it's a great time to buy, super low interest rates teamed up with good home prices. Also being a buyers market we are seeing homes sell for quite a bit under list price again.
    I have a 5 yr closed variable for prime - 0.8 with semi annual compounded interest.
    Even if prime is 4%. I am still ahead.
    plus I only pay 3 months interest if I get out.
    Insurance Pro

Wow... I'll get my broker to shop around some more, just about to lock down at 3.89 which I thought was pretty decent given it was recently higher... but it seems there's more sniffing around to be done.

My Ride
    2014 Mustang GT DIB track pkg 2010 GMC Terrain SLT

If you compare August 2010 with August 2009, sales are way down. What I look at is the month to month data and most importantly, the absorbtion rate. It is more up to date in predicting what the market is doing. With the volatility that has occured over the past couple of years, historical data doesn't mean nearly as much.

In both Calgary and Airdrie, the absorbtion rate has dropped to around 6. This is calculated by taking the active listings at the end of a given month, and dividing it by the sales that occured that month. This tells you that if no new listings hit the market and the sales stayed the same, the supply would run out in 6 months. My calculations include both single family and condo sales combined.

This is due to increased sales and less listings. This could indicate some upward momentum for sellers, although it is still a heavily favoured buyers market. A three month supply is a balanced market and we are double that right now.

The key for sellers is patience and being realistic. The key for buyers is patience and due dilligence. Good luck out there!

My Ride
    M5 Competition

To further support an upward swing on the rise. BMO just cut their mortgage rates.

http://money.canoe.ca/money/business...01-143136.html

My Ride

I'm not sure about the rest of canada, but this is a funny website pointing out the vancouver bubble.

http://www.crackshackormansion.com/

My Ride
    G6

I find it laughable how anyone can look at the facts they state in their report and call it a "buyer's market." I mean sales are down 32%, average price is only down 2% year over year. A drop of 2% and this writer is saying now is the time to buy? Perhaps a bit of a vested interest from the gentleman at the CREB?

Let's use BASIC supply-demand economics. Supply is up, demand is down, what has to happen to balance this?

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

How is it not a buyer's market? It's certainly not a balanced or sellers market.

The fact that no one can sell crap right now means you can float lowballs left and right and you know a place you're looking at won't be gone any time soon, no one will be along to snatch it up.

Sounds like a buyer's market to me.

Last edited by kaput; 04-01-2019 at 11:44 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by Feruk
    I find it laughable how anyone can look at the facts they state in their report and call it a "buyer's market." I mean sales are down 32%, average price is only down 2% year over year. A drop of 2% and this writer is saying now is the time to buy? Perhaps a bit of a vested interest from the gentleman at the CREB?

Let's use BASIC supply-demand economics. Supply is up, demand is down, what has to happen to balance this?
    Buyers set how high prices go (demand)
    Sellers set how low prices will go, those in it to make a quick buck or trade up won't budge on their prices. Those in distress who need to sell will ultimately lower prices by creating a new local bottom... if buyer sentiment/confidence drops off, then the distressed sellers will push down the new bottom. This hasn't happened yet.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Freudian slip? Isn't it fall and winter typically slower for real estate?

I think we are in for a pretty decent fall.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Originally posted by G
    Freudian slip? Isn't it fall and winter typically slower for real estate?

Nope. really picks up around the second week of September and goes till about the first week of December. Slowest times are Dec15-Jan15 and July-sept

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    Taco

Originally posted by Feruk

Price goes down. Where did you take economics?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast