Quantcast
looking at a nissan/datsun truck. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: looking at a nissan/datsun truck.

My Ride
    08 Suzuki SX4,06 Nissan Titan

Default looking at a nissan/datsun truck.

im looking at an 85 Nissan king cab also known as the datsun 720. does anybody know anything about them in terms of reliability this one is 4x4 manual and runs and lot drives well. i have yet to drive it at any rate of speed because its in our junkyard and i have it on hold so it wont get crushed. possibly use it as my new commuter because i get free gasoline from the Junkyard so my Diesel car is kinda useless.

i literally saved it from the crusher on my lunch break today at picknpull. it was next in line.

Default Re: looking at a nissan/datsun truck.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 09:46 PM.

My Ride
    K-car

They are a reliable beast, my uncle had one on his ranch for years (his was a 82) had over 400k, nothing but rust on the body but started everytime, its demise was finally met when the barn it was parked next to burned down, otherwise he would still be using it.

My Ride

today was my 2nd day on the job. i work draining the oils/coolant and cutting the Catalytic converters from the bottom of the vehicle before they go out to the bone yard.

i was looking at it at the beginning of my shift thinking that the truck was cool and trying to remember the last time i saw a 720 on the road. at my 1st break i went over and i was thinking maybe it runs. well the keys were in the ignition so i go to crank it nothing happens turns out after you put it on the on position you push this little button and then it lurched forwards because it was in gear so i actually got in put it in neutral and it fired right up I popped the hood and to my surprise no oil leak that i could see from the top end and the battery was new with new terminals all the lights work it moved forwards and backwards and it has functional power windows. only thing i can see its missing is one door lock pin on the drivers door and a audio deck. and it was a little handled by the forklift so it needs a new drivers mirror and has minor dents on the drivers side. all in all it seems to be solid with minor surface rust. now it sits in the corner for 3 weeks till i get paid and then they have to get it inspected and we shall see if there is anything horribly wrong with it.

Edit: also how hard is it to find parts for? i think it might need a E brake since i could not find one but maybe there is some kinda way to activate it that im missing because i saw no place for a Ebrake to go and it has newish tires on it. I think it got scrapped because of its old age not because of it mechanical faults. i would take some pics but im not allowed to photograph the yard because i could be giving away "trade secrets" lol
    Last edited by master hec0; 09-01-2010 at 09:47 PM.

My Ride
    '92 RPS13

How's the body condition? got any pics?

My Ride

body is minorly dented on the drivers door and on the bed from the forklift and minor surface rust on a few areas. it has an aftermarket aluminum rear bumper and a Bamby basher on the front.
    Last edited by master hec0; 09-01-2010 at 10:04 PM.

My Ride
    SRT Charger

Parts aren't too hard to get. The E-brake should be located to the right of the steering wheel at the base of the dash.

I think I might of looked at this truck last year, does it also have a sunroof?

The motor is the Z24, it will have pretty good tourqe, but not much HP. Great back country trucks.

My Ride

Yeah it has sun roof and blue why did you big get it? And what did the owner want for it

My Ride
    S14|TB1

they are very reliable, there are TONS of these in malaysia, although not as rusty as the ones here, still sun-beaten and tired but they keep on keepin-on'. Alot of the them there you'd find the farmers bringing their veggies/produce to the market every morning as far as 4 hour drives every single day of the year literally.

planning on going high?

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

or low? :

click for larger version

click for larger version
    click for larger version

My Ride

It already is on bigger offroad tires it will stay the same as a DD and my bronco II will go high

My Ride
    SRT Charger

Originally posted by master hec0
    Yeah it has sun roof and blue why did you big get it? And what did the owner want for it
    I walked away. The owner changed the price when I showed up. The back of the truck was also full of garbage that he was giving away with the truck.
    When I took it out for a test drive it started fine, but stalled while I was parked checking things out a couple blocks away. I had to bump start it to get it running. It did seem to run well and the trans felt nice and tight.
    Between the sketch owner, iffy battery/electrics and junk collection I figured that there were probably better trucks out there (for me) and I walked away.
    He was asking $1200, then $1500 when I showed up.

My Ride

it is defiantly not worth 1200$ i think its value is between 500-800$ the box is rougher then i once thought. the box has holes right thru it on the inside but even so it still is structurally strong.
    Last edited by master hec0; 09-02-2010 at 05:26 PM.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

check the frame for rust on the rear quarter, and for suspension bushings

you gotta keep an eye out for stuff that will fail the insurance inspection.

My Ride

frame and under components looks solid. picknpull does a safety inspection before selling the vehicle so if anything would fail the inspection i would know before i bought it. i gotta wait a few weeks till the mechanic shows up at the yard again. so that means i got a few weeks to scope out the yard to see if something better shows up. mainly a 4x4 manual ford ranger but i doubt i would find one.

My Ride

soooooooo i finally got to lot drive the datsun and unfortunately it stalls after acceleration so i decided on not getting it. also i fould a 4x4 manual extended cab ford ranger with 120k on it. so thats now going in on Wednesday.