Quantcast
Best place to buy mens suit (value, not just top $$$$) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best place to buy mens suit (value, not just top $$$$)

My Ride
    99' Civic Si

Default Best place to buy mens suit (value, not just top $$$$)

Tried a search but no luck.

Looking for bang for your buck, ideally spending $2-500 - lower side of that range if possible. Looking for knowledgable sales folks who can make sure I get a good fit. Quick turnaround on tailoring would be handy too as I'm going to a wedding in a couple weeks.

Any spots in town that do good custom tailoring for under a grand?

Go to tip top. Get the suit fitted for you. As long as the suit fits it will look better than a expensive suit.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Banana Republic sells all cotton suits which are dirt cheap and easy to tailor.

Try and stay away from poly or mixed suits as they dont hang properly and do not launder well.

Remember when buying from a place other then a tiptop or moores you will need to find a independent tailor to do the job.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Grafton sells decent designer labels at fair prices, I used to get my suits there before I started spending money. I picked up a Calvin Klein Suit for around $500

On a side note it is in your best interest imo to buy a 1/2 decent label. I have seen moore's and tip top suits lose their shape after not many uses and look like garbage not matter how good the original fit was. Spending a few extra dollars on a suit now will save you having to replace it earlier later on.
    Last edited by boarderfatty; 09-07-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Default Re: Best place to buy mens suit (value, not just top $$$$)

Originally posted by Singel
    Tried a search but no luck.

Looking for bang for your buck, ideally spending $2-500 - lower side of that range if possible. Looking for knowledgable sales folks who can make sure I get a good fit. Quick turnaround on tailoring would be handy too as I'm going to a wedding in a couple weeks.

Any spots in town that do good custom tailoring for under a grand?
    This all depends on your build (size). If you're skinny/tall, you're going to have a hell of a time finding a decent off the rack suit in Calgary that will fit remotely properly. There is only so much they can hem until it becomes ridiculous (personal experience).

I have a suit or two that I had "made to measure" from Holt. Decent, but it was quite a few years ago so I can't comment on the price.
    Originally posted by boarderfatty
    On a side note it is in your best interest imo to buy a 1/2 decent label. I have seen moore's and tip top suits lose their shape after not many uses and look like garbage not matter how good the original fit was. Spending a few extra dollars on a suit now will save you having to replace it earlier later on.
    This is the truth. If this is your only suit, it's better to spend now for something very decent that will last you a good few years, versus something you'll need to replace after a shorter while.

I have suits at varying price points, and there's nothing wrong with "cheap" suits perse from the stand point of they're more style over substance. However, if you're gonna go the cheap suit route, Moores/Tip Top isn't the way to go (but probably the only option in Calgary). Pickup a GQ and they'll show you great cheap suits from the likes of Topman and Uniqlo.

My Ride
    Ram

theres a small store on 14th st. close to marda loop

Called, A place for men. Good store lots of cheap designer brands.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Bangkok.

Grafton sells decent designer labels at fair prices, I used to get my suits there before I started spending money. I picked up a Calvin Klein Suit for around $500

You realize that the Calvin Klone suit is the same quality as the no name stuff -- it just has a designer label on it?

Originally posted by Sorath

Checked that place out a few months ago. Looked to me like a bunch of counterfeit stuff.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by D. Dub

Checked that place out a few months ago. Looked to me like a bunch of counterfeit stuff.
    Yup, I popped in there once, as they were selling knockoff suits.

My Ride
    //M

Originally posted by Sorath

that store is a joke, all fake stuff
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

Originally posted by D. Dub

You realize that the Calvin Klone suit is the same quality as the no name stuff -- it just has a designer label on it?
    Do you mean in the way that both suits are made of wool? I am not saying that this is the greatest suit in the world, I am using it as an example because it is the last suit that I bought under the 2g mark. My boss suits are also made of wool, does that mean it is the same as a moore's suit just with a designer label? I still have my CK in my closet and it has gone through more wears and dry cleanings than any moore's or Tip Top suit i have owned and still has some shape left to it. No where near the quality of some of my other suits but for the price they are quite good.

There are many other labels at Grafton and Co all I am saying is I would suggest giving them a shot as well as the other cheap places because imo you can find a better quality suit there. I am by no means saying that is the end all to be all places o buy a suit.

My Ride
    NC1

If you can wait, Regal Fashions/Empire Tailors (same company, two names lol) is coming to the Marriot Hotel on Sept 17/18 from 10am to 8pm. You will need to make an appointment. If you PM me with your e-mail address, I can forward you their contact info. These guys are awesome though. I'm in HK right now and their work/prices can not be beat. I'm not a suit guy/dress pants kind of guy, I wear jeans 99% of the time. But I had to pick up a couple suits, a nice jacket and 15 shirts lol because the prices blew me away. There's nothing like made to measure and I don't think I'll buy anything off the rack again other than jeans and t-shirts lol

For example: A suit and 5 dress shirts for $500CAD. The material is good, middle grade stuff but I can't tell you what it is because I'm not sure lol A buddy of mine who was here at the same time, his family and him have been using him for the past decade. Once they have your measurements and fitted, you can always have them send you material and ship you a new suit too.

P.S., Prices will most likely be more since they are flying over here.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My boss suits are also made of wool, does that mean it is the same as a moore's suit just with a designer label?

Pretty much. Moore's is made by cheap labour in Chinese factories and Boss is made by cheap labour in Eastern European factories. Same shit different pile -- except the label adds to the price of the Boss pile. (That being said, certain Boss lines are slightly higher quality fabrics though)

Moore's actually used to be really good quality, made in Canada stuff -- until they were bought by Men's Wearhouse from the US.

To the OP -- Harry Rosen offers 4 or 5 different lines at different price points and made to measure stuff for a pretty good price.

James & Dickson also does made to measure for a good price.

Other good places are Supreme Men's Wear and O'Connors.
    Last edited by D. Dub; 09-08-2010 at 08:22 AM.

^ In the 200-500 price range, he's not getting any MTM.

Just to add to the list for places to get a suit in that price range, I don't mind the Bay downtown. There's usually a sale going on or coming up, and the staff are fairly knowledgable (unlike at Moore's or Tip Top where the staff are changing every week and they've only had a half hour of training) and not on commission (I don't think), so you get pretty good service, and they won't try to upsell you out of your price range. Selection is fairly good as well.

Don't get me wrong, Harry Rosen, Supreme and O'Connors are all better than the Bay, but they're not in the OP's price range.

My Ride
    335i

Honestly, anything under $500 is going to be a fused suit with average material and cut. Go anywhere, basically, and get a suit that fits you well. I have had some luck finding nice suits at designer depot and winners once in a while, but the Bay and Sears are always a solid choice because they discount their suits all the time.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by dexlargo
    ^ In the 200-500 price range, he's not getting any MTM.

Just to add to the list for places to get a suit in that price range, I don't mind the Bay downtown. There's usually a sale going on or coming up, and the staff are fairly knowledgable (unlike at Moore's or Tip Top where the staff are changing every week and they've only had a half hour of training) and not on commission (I don't think), so you get pretty good service, and they won't try to upsell you out of your price range. Selection is fairly good as well.

Don't get me wrong, Harry Rosen, Supreme and O'Connors are all better than the Bay, but they're not in the OP's price range.

Whoops I misread the OP's post as $2000

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Honestly, anything under $500 is going to be a fused suit with average material and cut. Go anywhere, basically, and get a suit that fits you well. I have had some luck finding nice suits at designer depot and winners once in a while, but the Bay and Sears are always a solid choice because they discount their suits all the time.

That is good advice. At any price fit is important. A cheap well fit suit looks better than an expensive poorly fit one.

mexx great starter suits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast