Quantcast
Part Time Realtor? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Part Time Realtor?

Default Part Time Realtor?

Just wondering how many realtors out there are doing it part time, and if so, what is your other job. Is it possible to supplement your income well doing this?

I realize Real Estate is allot of work, but am interested if anyone out there has been able to successfully manage it with another career. Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    2011 BMW 335is Cabriolet

I don't know how you could do it part time. You have to be on call basically 16 hours a day. I think it is a lot more work than most people think. Would be awesome to pull it off , good luck! I am sure Jordan will fill you in any second . . . . . . .

Alex
    2011 BMW 335is Cabriolet
    2011 Lexus RX 350

I agree it's tough, but some have fairly flexible primary jobs. I've heard of firefighters, some athletes, etc, others with seasonal, or flexible work schedules have been able to make it work.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

I have been a realtor for close to 7 years. I think a buyer/seller would be foolish to use a part time realtor. I have been full-time and beyond for all 7 years

The reason I say buyers/seller should work with a full time agent is that a realtor that works full-time has his head in the game 24/7. I pretty much live, breath, eat, sleep real estate. An agent that works a part time job can't put their full attention to making sure their clients are well taken care of.

Again I have to refer back to another career....a lawyer for example, would you hire a part time lawyer?
    Last edited by JordanLotoski; 09-10-2010 at 11:19 PM.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

When I was buying a place with my realtor I had some serious respect for how hard these guys worked. He was on and off the phone between me and the seller for over an hour negotiating price. At midnight on a saturday night... on a long weekend. I was out a club that night and ended up spending most of it outside the front doors so we could hear each other over the music. Real estate doesn't sleep apparently hahaha.

Jordan is right though, from the perspective of a buyer or seller, they want someone who is dedicated 100% to their job, not someone who does it in their spare time.

Originally posted by JordanLotoski
    I have been a realtor for close to 7 years. I think a buyer/seller would be foolish to use a part time realtor. I have been full-time and beyond for all 7 years

The reason I say buyers/seller should work with a full time agent is that a realtor that works full-time has his head in the game 24/7. I pretty much live, breath, eat, sleep real estate. An agent that works a part time job can't put their full attention to making sure their clients are well taken care of.

Again I have to refer back to another career....a lawyer for example, would you hire a part time lawyer?
    Excellent points, thanks for that insight.

I know a a few people who are part time realtors as well as holding down full time jobs.

In most cases, the clients end up doing most of the work themselves. For sellers, the realtor just puts the house up on MLS and doesn't actively market it (i.e. open houses). For buyers, the buyers do all their own research online and then use the realtor for the odd showing and for the bidding process.

In both cases they end up getting a discount on the commission but don't get the realtor's full attention 24/7.

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    In both cases they end up getting a discount on the commission but don't get the realtor's full attention 24/7.
    I think this would be the critical point. I would definitely expect to pay a significantly reduced commission to a realtor who is part time.

My Ride
    BMW E70

Part time Realtor's are completely useless to work with. They generally have no concept of how the business actually works on a day to day basis. Any time I can only get a hold of a Realtor between 12 - 1 or after 5:00, I know the transaction is going to be... interesting.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

with all this being said about not being able to have a second job and being a realtor part time. Think of it this way. a Realtor say has 5 clients at a given time, hes working for all them, so in reality hes only putting 1/5 of his time towards your interests.
    Its not like when you have a realtor, he only works for you and has no other clients. He really is only working for you for 1/5 of the time.

I personally think that being a realtor part time is definatly do-able. Obviously if your part time, you will sell less then a full time realtor and generally have a smaller client base, but who says you cant work during the day and sell at night. Its not like when your at your day job, you cant do any research or calling or anything. I mean your clients most likely work all day right? Realtors primarily work evenings and weekends....you will close on most of your houses on the evening or weekend.

The only con I can see to being a part time realtor is having a smaller client base/less pay. If your a hard worker, you will get the job done, and done properly. You arent any smarter because your full time...

My Ride
    Bicycle

I for one won't hire a part time realtor as their personal network is generally smaller than full time ones.

Can you make it work? Sure. As long as the realtor has a good partner to fill in and the day time job isn't too intrusive.

Just wondering how much on the average can a realtor earn a year? How about a mortgage broker?

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Originally posted by curious_joe
    Just wondering how much on the average can a realtor earn a year? How about a mortgage broker?
    Average? I'd say about 40-60k both realtor and mortgage broker

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    All made in Japan.

Just watch those realtor shows on TV, they really get tossed around and waste their money and time rather often. It is a tough profession, but if you have the personality, drive and marketing I know it is great. A family friend is a very successful realtor, she knows time wasters and avoids them. She has a proper realtor vehicle, proper marketing and website, etc. One thing, taking a vacation or day off sitting in a cafe and clients see you or know about this, they wonder why you are not working. Clients are a PITA if you cannot hide away in private on your free time. Everyone needs a break and a vacation.

Take a town like Canmore, actually a city but that is another marketing point for another time, they have to have the most realtors per capita of anywhere in Canada. How do they all make a good living? Any statistics on this Jordan?

You might be able to have a bridge career for income while the real estate career is developing. Get on a realtor team, be the go to guy for making the realtor more successful and time effective, as a result you too are learning and building a career. In a year or so, ready to fly?

Jorden what is with the BLOG link from your website? It leads to Beyond and that is not a blog, I could not find your blog at all. Useless and misleading, not the thing you want to project I would say.

http://www.jordanlotoski.com/the-blog.asp
    Last edited by Muji; 09-18-2010 at 10:20 AM.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Originally posted by Muji
    Just watch those realtor shows on TV, they really get tossed around and waste their money and time rather often. It is a tough profession, but if you have the personality, drive and marketing I know it is great. A family friend is a very successful realtor, she knows time wasters and avoids them. She has a proper realtor vehicle, proper marketing and website, etc. One thing, taking a vacation or day off sitting in a cafe and clients see you or know about this, they wonder why you are not working. Clients are a PITA if you cannot hide away in private on your free time. Everyone needs a break and a vacation.

Take a town like Canmore, actually a city but that is another marketing point for another time, they have to have the most realtors per capita of anywhere in Canada. How do they all make a good living? Any statistics on this Jordan?

You might be able to have a bridge career for income while the real estate career is developing. Get on a realtor team, be the go to guy for making the realtor more successful and time effective, as a result you too are learning and building a career. In a year or so, ready to fly?

Jorden what is with the BLOG link from your website? It leads to Beyond and that is not a blog, I could not find your blog at all. Useless and misleading, not the thing you want to project I would say.

http://www.jordanlotoski.com/the-blog.asp
    Damn that got added a while back, iam working on a new blog, thanks for remidning me. Thats gotta come down

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    Audi A4 Quattro

When hiring a realtor be sure to inquire as to if they are part of full time.
    Its easy for them to say they are full time to gain your confidence when they really are part time.
    Funny story... I was negotiating with another realtor and she called me about 10 times over 2 days. Each call came in from "Home Depot" and when I asked if she could take the check to my brokerage right away she says she is super busy with other clients..... mmmhmmm