Quantcast
Help me choose a truck tire - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help me choose a truck tire

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by TKRIS
    I have Terra Grapplers on my truck now, and they seem pretty good.
    The set of Hankook MTs I had on a previous vehicle were OK after I grooved and siped them.
    I wasn't at all impressed with the MTRs (similar, but surely not the exact same as the duratracs) that I've had. They look cool, but they're too expensive, too noisy, and have too poor drivability for what they are. I'm willing to deal with a noisy tire that likes to wander if it makes up for it in the mud, but for how well the MTRs worked, I'd have been better off with a set of BFG ATs (looks aside). It's not that they were terrible, it's just that they weren't good enough to deal with their mediocre performance on-road and high price tag. Maybe they've fixed this with the new models.

I like these Terra Grapplers. Seem like a good tire at a really good price (if you look around). When these ones kick the bucket, I'll probably stick with Nitto and try the Trails.

My brother has run the silent armors on his duramax and hated them. They lasted about 20,000km, and that's pretty well all on-road. He's actually ran a lot of those type of highway tires on his last couple diesels and finally settled on BFG ATs for summer and Nokians for winter (not sure which). Seems to be the only setup he can get that'll actually last.
    I had a set of Mud Grapplers on my last truck (Super Duty Diesel) and they seemed to last well, but I wouldn't recommend them for, well, anything really. I didn't go mudding, but I got the feeling that they wouldn't be very good in the snow/ice, or in mud, and they were loud as hell on the highway. Look cool though...
    I sure had different experiences than you.

I had Goodyear MTRs (the old style, not the new one pictured above) on my '05 Dodge diesel. I got 70,000km out of them and they probably had another 10-15 left. I ran 45psi in them and rotated them once, at about 50,000km. I got rid of them because I had them for four years, and they got so hard that wet pavement was like ice. I could swap ends at 100km/hr if I floored it. And I wouldn't say they were noisy, but my truck was also straight piped so that might have drowned it out.

I have also ran BFG AT's on my F-350 and they didn't wear very good. My brother had some on his last two F-350s too and they didn't last very long. I know a few other people with them on HD trucks that don't like them either.

I'd buy another set of MTRs if I didn't spend 4 of the last 5 years with them. As good as they were for me I want to look at something different. I will say this though, stay away from the Interco Trxus STS. That's what I put on my Dodge after the MTRs. They scream, they have no lateral grip (but tons of forward grip), and they're square. My truck sat for a week and when I drove it again it took about an hour for the tires to get round again. And they were more expensive than MTRs.

My Ride
    2006 Jetta TDI,2006 Saab 92-x,2013 F350 Platinum

Default Re: Help me choose a truck tire

Hands down, the Toyo MT's. I run them on my F-350 and just love them. Not as noisy as most, and you can get a crapload of mileage out of them. Most people get 100K + from a set. I've had them on for 15,000 kms so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2