Quantcast
Viper ACR Track Performance Debate - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Viper ACR Track Performance Debate

It's funny how vipers look so much bigger then they really are. I remember when i saw a viper for the first time i was amazed at how small it was. God those are sexy cars!
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    It's funny how vipers look so much bigger then they really are. I remember when i saw a viper for the first time i was amazed at how small it was. God those are sexy cars!
    You must be kidding me... Viper's are boats. They handle like crap (the street cars, not the race cars) and they brake like crap. Sure they're fast in a straight line, but after driving it for 30 minutes, you don't want to drive 30 minutes to get home and switch cars.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

You must be kidding me... Viper's are boats. They handle like crap (the street cars, not the race cars) and they brake like crap. Sure they're fast in a straight line, but after driving it for 30 minutes, you don't want to drive 30 minutes to get home and switch cars.
    agreed they are big and not fun to drive after 30mins. but lots of power on the straight

They really arn't all that big in person, like i said in pictures they look much bigger. I was just commenting on my experience looking at them, you didn't have to go off on a tangent about their handling and what not. Just because your 944 can't beat one... j/k
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

and they brake like crap.
    I've heard the brakes smell like crap too.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The Viper's scared of my 944 .
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by ScCab

agreed they are big and not fun to drive after 30mins. but lots of power on the straight
    They are comparable in size to your BMW. Just wider and lower. That really isn't that big, but size is relative i guess.

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

The vipers are difficult to drive due to the over abundance of torque IMO.

I've taken one out for a spin on the track and my gawd is it scary in the corners. Just a slight blip in the throtle and the tires break loose. Come to think of it in any gear with any modulation on the gas pedal would break the car loose. Very hard to to drive smooth... But lots of fun

No one would trust me long enough let along for 30 mins to drive one on the street
    Last edited by speedracer; 09-05-2002 at 03:07 PM.

I've heard a lot of talk about Vipers being not that good, and up until about 4 weeks ago I would have agreed with you. The Viper ACR pulls almost a full G in the Skipad, which not even Rage2 can say. Up until 02 didn't brake well, but now they brake very well. They are one of the best bang-for-buck performance cars on the market today.

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

vipers are frickin boats...thats why they need that 8.3 liter to make em move..but its still a beautiful car..i dont think the braking is that good since its so big..and ya those wide tires still cant get enough traction to the ground...imagine and awd viper hahah

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Vipers may be fast on the straight, but they're not too good on the corners. They're pretty heavy.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by turkeysilk
    I've heard a lot of talk about Vipers being not that good, and up until about 4 weeks ago I would have agreed with you. The Viper ACR pulls almost a full G in the Skipad, which not even Rage2 can say. Up until 02 didn't brake well, but now they brake very well. They are one of the best bang-for-buck performance cars on the market today.
    Maximum lateral G's doesn't mean shit. Try transitioning in a Viper. Talk to ANY Viper owner that's taken it to the track or driven it hard on the street. Both me and ScCab have lots of seat time in the Viper ACR. The last Viper that was out at Solo2, it spun on the *1st turn*.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The Viper ACR pulls almost a full G in the Skipad, which not even Rage2 can say.
    Almost a full G? Look what I found :

That was in the 944 turbo a few years ago using Bridgestone Potenza S-02's and relatively stock suspension. Calculated using G-Tech Pro in continuous G's mode, meaning you have to hold that G force for a few seconds before it registers (instant g's are far from accurate, I can hit 1.2g's easily on entry).

My Ride
    money-pit

OUCHED owned!

1 rage
    0 turkeysilk
    No and Im not like them....

My Ride
    Vorsprung durch Tecknik

That one parks right accross from my building where i work in the parkade, I stare at it all day... lol

Maximum lateral G's doesn't mean shit. Try transitioning in a Viper. Talk to ANY Viper owner that's taken it to the track or driven it hard on the street. Both me and ScCab have lots of seat time in the Viper ACR. The last Viper that was out at Solo2, it spun on the *1st turn*.
    Perhaps the person that spun out may not have been that great a driver, (MAYBE). I'm sure that it is hard to drive, but any car that is as fast a a 911 Turbo and costs $30 000 less earns my respect.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm sure that it is hard to drive, but any car that is as fast a a 911 Turbo and costs $30 000 less earns my respect.
    Actually, the Viper ACR (or even the 450hp standard Vipers) is faster than the 996 twin turbo in a straight line hands down. Nobody's saying a Viper's slow in a straight line, we're talking about how the car handles and stops.

*puts bench racing helmet on*

I dunno man. According to road and track, with mario andretti behind the wheel, the viper was the quickest through a transition and hairpin turn out of all the cars. There wasn't a 911 turbo but carrara 4, lotus esprit, nsx, F355, and corvette. They were all about 1/2 second behind the viper through both the transition and the hair pin. These arn't the top cars anymore of their respective models in most cases anyways, but a 1/2 second is a lot when we are talking about 10-12 second lap sections.

On the other hand though, in the subjective ratings the viper was rated lowest in the sections of brakes, steering, and L to R transiton. Despite all that it was still by far the fastest car in the group. So rage i think your presenting a little bit of a biased look on this car. Yes, even mario said it's a hard car to drive, but if you have the skill to control it properly it can also be a very quick car, both in the straights and in the corners.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I would personally rather own a Z06 over an acr
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There are some places where the Viper can make up tons of time with it's brutal amounts of torque and power, not to mention big fat tires. Slower corners, the Viper probably has better cornering than a lot of cars where fat tires matter more than suspension/aerodynamics. The exit can gain tons on lesser powered cars... the F355 and the corvette can't compare to the Viper in terms of raw power. As a comparison, kenny's car can beat F355's and non Z06 vettes by a little bit (they're close) in a straight line, but the Viper pulls carlengths on the little AMG very easily.

As an example, on a slow 1st gear corner, I've floored the ACR and the tail doesn't slide out, just grips. Once you get into the 2nd and 3rd gear corners, the car is very twitchy and on the edge. Grip isn't anything spectacular either, so many times you're over confident and enter corners a wee bit too fast =).

As for me being biased, I'm just giving an opinion based on seat time in the car. Maybe my expectations were too high before I drove it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast