Quantcast
Viper ACR Track Performance Debate - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Viper ACR Track Performance Debate

If I could find a test of the Z06 vs viper acr or gtsr vs 911 TT (or even better a GT2) it would be a much fairer comparison, but I couldn't find one with all cars on the same track on the same day at the same time. Bias was not the right word, what I meant was that you need to be clearer when you say vipers don't stop or corner very well. Just because they feel like a roller coaster or boat or whatever doesn't mean that they arn't, in reality, going very fast through the corners and around the track. I hope that makes some sense.
    Last edited by 5.9 R/T; 09-07-2002 at 01:00 PM.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    If I could find a test of the Z06 vs viper acr or gtsr vs 911 TT
    Ha ha, there's a test just like that in current month's Car and Driver (10,000 HP shootout on the cover). Same track, same day, different drivers though.

Generally, the Viper ACR was best in straight line acceleration, while the Porsche was best in braking and road course, the Corvette Z06 was in between the two.
    "All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

My Ride
    91 Civic

I seen that ACR yesterday, very nice.
    Originally posted by Ridelikeme

preludes are definately not slow.. they are the corvettes of the honda 4cylinder world..they float

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    *puts bench racing helmet on*

I dunno man. According to road and track, with mario andretti behind the wheel, the viper was the quickest through a transition and hairpin turn out of all the cars. There wasn't a 911 turbo but carrara 4, lotus esprit, nsx, F355, and corvette. They were all about 1/2 second behind the viper through both the transition and the hair pin. These arn't the top cars anymore of their respective models in most cases anyways, but a 1/2 second is a lot when we are talking about 10-12 second lap sections.

On the other hand though, in the subjective ratings the viper was rated lowest in the sections of brakes, steering, and L to R transiton. Despite all that it was still by far the fastest car in the group. So rage i think your presenting a little bit of a biased look on this car. Yes, even mario said it's a hard car to drive, but if you have the skill to control it properly it can also be a very quick car, both in the straights and in the corners.
    If the Viper has enough power to make up for the time lost on the corners then it is still faster.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by jonny

If the Viper has enough power to make up for the time lost on the corners then it is still faster.
    That's VERY circuit specific. Just because its faster at streets of willow or thunderhill doesn't necessarily mean its going to be faster at laguna seca or the nurburgring. Different courses suit different types of cars, and what works well at one track isn't always the fastest at the next.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Only on long straights, at that time it loses it all back under braking. I've got a few Viper laptimes of decent drivers at Race City, and it's about a second a lap slower than Kenny in his less powerful SLK 32 AMG.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

That's VERY circuit specific. Just because its faster at streets of willow or thunderhill doesn't necessarily mean its going to be faster at laguna seca or the nurburgring. Different courses suit different types of cars, and what works well at one track isn't always the fastest at the next.
    Thats true for EVERY car.

Originally posted by rage2

Only on long straights, at that time it loses it all back under braking. I've got a few Viper laptimes of decent drivers at Race City, and it's about a second a lap slower than Kenny in his less powerful SLK 32 AMG.
    Somehow I think that given a professional driver you could get the Viper ACR to go significantly faster then the SLK AMG which needs a much less skilled driver to go fast. And keep in mind that we arent talking about what we could get, were talking about what the car is capable of.

Here is my knowledge on the whole issue. On the N'ring, the Eurospec Viper, which has less horsepower, less torque, and generally less "umph", had a run of 8:10, and the SLK 32 AMG runs in at about 8:18. And that was not even the ACR version, it was just a GTS, that was Eurospec.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Somehow I think that given a professional driver you could get the Viper ACR to go significantly faster then the SLK AMG which needs a much less skilled driver to go fast.
    The Viper laptime was done by an instructor level person. Get the same person to drive Kenny's car, and he'll shave 2 or 3 seconds off his time making the gap even wider.

And keep in mind that we arent talking about what we could get, were talking about what the car is capable of.
    What's the point in that, so you can go sit at home, log into forums and bench race? Ask anyone that's driven a Viper, professional, instructor, or amateur. Everyone will agree that the car drives like shit after 2 laps. No brakes, can't corner, etc.

When's the last time you drove a Viper jonny?
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by turkeysilk
    Here is my knowledge on the whole issue. On the N'ring, the Eurospec Viper, which has less horsepower, less torque, and generally less "umph", had a run of 8:10, and the SLK 32 AMG runs in at about 8:18. And that was not even the ACR version, it was just a GTS, that was Eurospec.
    damn bench racers. Same day? Same driver? Perfect lap? Brake fade? There's soooo many factors involved in a 8 minute lap that 8 seconds can be a mistake in a corner to a hot day vs cold day.

But I guess if you want to do bench racing :

I searched for "viper z06 laptime" on google and the first hit resulted in some laptimes of a race at Lime Rock Park.

The Viper ACR fastest laptime : 1:01.111
    The Corvette Z06 fastest laptime : 1:00.750

Same day, same conditions, not sure about both driver's experiences. Safe to say the Corvette Z06 is faster than the Viper ACR.

Last time out at race city, we had a Z06 driven by a very experienced driver, and the SLK 32 AMG driven by Kenny who's only been on the track 3 times. Kenny's pretty much as rookie as you can get. Over 4 laps, the average laptime :

Corvette Z06 : 1:32.8
    SLK 32 AMG : 1:32.1

That's an average laptime. The best laptime, the Z06 edged the SLK 32 AMG by 0.1 seconds. Since the SLK 32 is faster than the Z06 (on average) or equal to the Z06 (best lap time), it's safe to say that the SLK 32 is faster than the Viper at the track.

The numbers speak for themselves.

What's the point in that, so you can go sit at home, log into forums and bench race? Ask anyone that's driven a Viper, professional, instructor, or amateur. Everyone will agree that the car drives like shit after 2 laps. No brakes, can't corner, etc.

When's the last time you drove a Viper jonny?
    Holy crap man, calm down. I'm just saying what is the point of arguing what some random person can get in any particular car. When saying one car is faster then another you might as well assume its the best driver in the world driving both. Instuctor level of skill varies big time rage2. You should know that. The Viper is a hard car to drive, thats not in dispute. Obviously I havent driven a Viper but I wouldnt be able to get good lap times out of it either. Thats not the point. I also doubt that 'everyone' will agree with you.
    Last edited by jonny; 09-08-2002 at 09:14 PM.

damn bench racers. Same day? Same driver? Perfect lap? Brake fade? There's soooo many factors involved in a 8 minute lap that 8 seconds can be a mistake in a corner to a hot day vs cold day.

But I guess if you want to do bench racing :

I searched for "viper z06 laptime" on google and the first hit resulted in some laptimes of a race at Lime Rock Park.

The Viper ACR fastest laptime : 1:01.111
    The Corvette Z06 fastest laptime : 1:00.750

Same day, same conditions, not sure about both driver's experiences. Safe to say the Corvette Z06 is faster than the Viper ACR.

Last time out at race city, we had a Z06 driven by a very experienced driver, and the SLK 32 AMG driven by Kenny who's only been on the track 3 times. Kenny's pretty much as rookie as you can get. Over 4 laps, the average laptime :

Corvette Z06 : 1:32.8
    SLK 32 AMG : 1:32.1

That's an average laptime. The best laptime, the Z06 edged the SLK 32 AMG by 0.1 seconds. Since the SLK 32 is faster than the Z06 (on average) or equal to the Z06 (best lap time), it's safe to say that the SLK 32 is faster than the Viper at the track.

The numbers speak for themselves.
    The N'ring times that I gave to you were by the same driver and relatively equal conditition. I say relatively because cars running at two different times of the day may yield much different conditions.

I found some track times for the Z06 and the Viper ACR at the Willow Springs International Motorsport Park. The Viper got 1:34.9, and the Z06 got 1:36.3. Same conditions, same driver, same day.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Shut up all you bench racers. Just in case you didn't know, some people don't buy cars based on how fast it completes a track. There are lots of other factors. I dare you to find someone who can truthfully say that they bought Car A over Car B because i'ts faster on some racetrack in the middle of nowhere by half a second.

My Ride
    2002 pontiac sunfire

well put gomp

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by ME_VS_YOU
    well put gomp
    Who's gomp?

Originally posted by gpomp
    Shut up all you bench racers. Just in case you didn't know, some people don't buy cars based on how fast it completes a track. There are lots of other factors. I dare you to find someone who can truthfully say that they bought Car A over Car B because i'ts faster on some racetrack in the middle of nowhere by half a second.
    I think you misunderstood the thread. We haven't been discussing which one is better to buy, we are just discussing which one would be faster.

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

but I definitly agree w/ you gpomp when i get a car i would rather it be newer and more comfty than buying a old civic and turbo charge it or wat not ... but thats just me.. plz dont bash me

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I also doubt that 'everyone' will agree with you.
    Actually, everyone I've talked to that's driven a Viper on the track has agreed with me that the brakes are useless after 2 laps. That's why all Viper owners that track their cars get brake upgrades, because the stock ones suck.

My Ride
    911 Turbo

I think Rage2 needs to step back and think about what he's writing. He seems like he very angery and is not able to think before he writes. Obviously, if someone is going to be racing their car hard, they will be getting brake upgrades regradless of what car they own, any car being raced somewhat hard would have poor brakes after a few laps. I don't think that is the point of this thread, i thought it was discussing the faster car. Keep it cool rage and don't be a foo!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast