Quantcast
Lastest Nikon Announcements - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 51 1 2 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1016

Thread: Lastest Nikon Announcements

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Lastest Nikon Announcements

    No surprises here whatsoever, as this info has been available for months but now it's official (if anyone cares haha):

    Here is what the 60D is "competing" with price-wise, only a $100 USD difference between the two. Performance wise, it's direct competition to the 7D for hundreds less. Can't wait to see what they do to the D300s successor!

    For anyone who didn't know, this is the D90 replacement.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikond7000.asp

    Highlights:

    Higher resolution sensor (16.2MP vs. 12.3MP)
    Choice of 12-bit or 14-bit NEF (RAW)
    1080p HD movie mode
    Limited movie editing functionality
    AF possible during video shooting (but we're not over-optimistic on this score)
    Live View switch (basically the same as D3100)
    Faster AF in live view mode.
    Twin SD card slots
    Non-CPU lens data function (allows registration of up to 9 non-G lenses with manual apertures)
    Magnesium alloy body shell
    Wider ISO span (100-25,600 including 'H1' and 'H2')
    Newly developed 39-point AF system
    'Quiet' single frame advance mode
    'Proper' mirror lock-up (as distinct from 'exposure delay mode')
    Lockable drive mode dial
    Higher maximum frame rate (6fps) with a Continuous Lo shooting option (1-5fps)
    100% viewfinder
    Choice of 12-bit or 14-bit NEF (RAW) recording in compressed or lossless compressed formats
    Up to 9 'non-CPU' lenses can be registered (same as D300s/D3s/D3X)
    New EN-EL15 lithium-ion battery
    New MB-D11 battery pack (magnesium alloy construction)


    Nikon DX-format, newly developed 16.2MP CMOS sensor: with expanded sensitivity range, this high-pixel sensor offers outstanding colour and detail for both pictures and movie

    New EXPEED 2 image processing: achieves higher image quality, higher speed processing and multiple functions, with lower energy consumption

    High ISO (100-6400, extendable up to 25600) sensitivity: offers low noise whilst still providing extremely sharp detail

    New 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor: the high-pixel RGB sensor will enhance the effectiveness of the Scene Recognition System for high-quality images every time
    Newly developed AF system featuring 39 focus points including 9 cross-type sensors in the center: delivers superior subject acquisition and tracking performance, so you can achieve the right focus no matter where your subject is on the screen

    Glass Pentaprism Viewfinder with approx 100% frame coverage and 0.94x magnification: for the most precise view and focus of any scene

    High durability with magnesium alloy top and rear, sealing against dust and moisture: allowing you to shoot with confidence even in the toughest conditions

    Full HD D-Movie with AF-F modes and in-camera editing functions to choose the start and end points of your movies and save individual frames as still images. It also supports an external microphone input for quality stereo sound recording

    HDMI connectivity: so you can view your images or watch your HDTV movies on a full HD television
    Easy access Live View with new Contrast-detect AF modes: face detection with contrast AF is faster and more powerful than ever. Up to 35 people can be detected within approx. 0.08 seconds, even if subjects are not directly looking at the camera. Subject Tracking keeps moving subjects in focus. Normal area AF is recommended for pinpoint focus and wide-area AF for handheld shooting

    Durable shutter unit with shutter speed up to 1/8,000: proved by 150,000 cycles of shutter-release testing
    Twin SD memory card slots: offer more capacity for saving images, more options for organising your images and videos or extra backup so you can manage your images exactly as you want them.

    High Speed Continuous shooting at 6FPS: With approx. 0.05-second release time lag and 6 frames-per-second shooting, you won’t miss a moment

    Extensive playback functions: including 72-thumbnail display, calendar display and image sorting by date
    In-camera retouch functions (retouch menu) including movie editing function and new color sketch
    Tone and colour control: Picture Controls lets you set the look and mood of your pictures and movies before you shoot

    ViewNX 2 free bundled software, will be bundled with the D7000: It inherits the basic operations of ViewNX whilst providing much enhanced operability, including a refined GUI, and a range of easy-to-use features allowing you to edit photos as well as movies
    7.5 cm (3-in.) LCD Monitor:, the approximately 920k-dot TFT LCD monitor has a VGA wide-viewing angle (170°) with reinforced glass so you can immediately see your work in detail

    Supports a wide variety of NIKKOR lenses
    Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL15 : intelligent power management to give maximum performance with minimized power usage

    ------------------------------------------------

    Other goodies include a new 35/1.4 AFS, 200/2 VR II, and SB-700 flash.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091511nikon35mm.asp

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikon200mm.asp

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091509sb700.asp

    Also older news, but Nikon now also has direct competition to the Canon G12:

    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikonp7000/
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-14-2010 at 10:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary AB Canada
    My Ride
    BMW 750xi
    Posts
    2,794
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Sounds impressive!

    What kind of software does Nikon use for reading their RAW files?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,983
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Curious how the ISO performance will be on this thing with the increased resolution. On paper it looks fantastic though! Nice to see they've bumped up the construction quality as well with the mag body.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally posted by 89coupe
    Sounds impressive!

    What kind of software does Nikon use for reading their RAW files?
    Nikon has it's own program called "Capture NX2". It's the only program that can apply in-camera JPEG settings to the NEF (Nikon RAW file), and also lets you change any in-camera settings after the fact. It basically makes it unnecessary to ever shoot in anything other than RAW. Most people think using Capture NX as a RAW converter gets the most out of NEF files, but apparently the latest Adobe Camera RAW is just as good. Capture NX is my favorite photo touch up program, but I do wish it was a little faster (or maybe I just need a new computer haha).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally posted by msommers
    Curious how the ISO performance will be on this thing with the increased resolution. On paper it looks fantastic though! Nice to see they've bumped up the construction quality as well with the mag body.
    Yeah me too. The D3100 high ISO samples are amazing, but it is 14MP not 16MP. Both sensors are reportedly Nikon design, even though they share the same MP counts as the Sony sensors. Rumors are that the D7000 will have D700-like ISO performance. If that is true, my next camera purchase will be whatever replaces the D300s, likely in less than a year's time. I think a full stop better ISO performance over the previous 12 MP sensor benchmark would be a huge step forward.

    With Nikon setting the benchmark for ISO performance since the D300/D3 release in 2007, I think they know better than to release anything that would be a step back in that department. That is a big reason why they gained so much popularity.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-15-2010 at 11:04 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MooooooO
    My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon
    Posts
    2,134
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt


    Yeah me too. The D3100 high ISO samples are amazing, but it is 14MP not 16MP. Both sensors are reportedly Nikon design, even though they share the same MP counts as the Sony sensors. Rumors are that the D7000 will have D700-like ISO performance. If that is true, my next camera purchase will be whatever replaces the D300s, likely in less than a year's time. I think a full stop better ISO performance over the previous 12 MP sensor benchmark would be a huge step forward.

    With Nikon setting the benchmark for ISO performance since the D300/D3 release in 2007, I think they know better than to release anything that would be a step back in that department. That is a big reason why they gained so much popularity.
    Between D700 and D300s, which one have better high-ISO performance? I know when the D300s came out a lot of people were blown away by its fantastic high-ISO performance.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Elbonia
    My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus
    Posts
    6,331
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Originally posted by HiSpec


    Between D700 and D300s, which one have better high-ISO performance?
    D700 by a solid margin. FX pays dividends.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally posted by HiSpec


    Between D700 and D300s, which one have better high-ISO performance? I know when the D300s came out a lot of people were blown away by its fantastic high-ISO performance.
    The D300s ISO performance isn't much different than the D5000/D90/D300 ISO performance. The same sensor is used.

    The D700 has the same 12 MP but spread out over a much larger area, allowing each pixel to collect much more light than on the APS-C (Crop) sensors. This means the camera doesn't have the juice them up as much to achieve any given ISO sensitivity, resulting in a cleaner image at the higher ISO's. This is also why the tiny sensors in point & shoot cameras always have such poor ISO performance in comparison with a DSLR. Both DX and FX have distinct advantages and disadvantages depending on what your photographic needs are.

    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-15-2010 at 11:32 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2016 MB C450
    Posts
    8,118
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    "Capture NX2".
    I agree. Excellent program if a bit slow. There is also a driver letting Windows Explorer reading NEF in thumbnail view. Picasa also read NEF by default. But by far, Capture NX2's batch conversion process from RAW to jpg is the best. There is no point in shooting anything by RAW if you have Capture NX2.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MooooooO
    My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon
    Posts
    2,134
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt


    The D300s ISO performance isn't much different than the D5000/D90/D300 ISO performance. The same sensor is used.

    If that's the case, wouldn't the D7000 ISO performance be quite similar to D5000/D90/D300(s)?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally posted by HiSpec


    If that's the case, wouldn't the D7000 ISO performance be quite similar to D5000/D90/D300(s)?
    Maybe, maybe not. It's a full 3 years newer so I would imagine they have some better technology. The ISO performance in DX/crop sensors has come a long way in the past few years, just like it has in the FX (Full frame) world. ISO performance is also one main area that customers keep asking for improvements in, no matter how good it already is, so I would be shocked if Nikon ever took a step back in that regard. At a bare minimum, we can expect the same or better performance as the old 12 MP sensor but now with 16MP. I really suspect it will be better though, based on the D3100 samples from the new 14MP sensor they also have.

    Whatever replaces the D300s will almost certainly use this new 16MP sensor as well.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,983
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Hope you're right, Mark. I'd much rather have ISO performance than resolution for what I work on, ie: not huge printouts.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500
    Posts
    5,003
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I'm interested to see the newer samples...for the outdoor sports thing it might be good to have a crop body in the bag.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally posted by msommers
    Hope you're right, Mark. I'd much rather have ISO performance than resolution for what I work on, ie: not huge printouts.
    Same here, I'd be happy with 10 MP and crazy good high ISO performance. I need to stay with DX bodies though because I need the reach. I would love to have clean ISO 3200 or 6400 for dark, indoor exhibits at zoos. If they can improve ISO performance and still increase the MP, that is fine with me too because I do a lot of cropping still.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,122
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt


    Maybe, maybe not. It's a full 3 years newer so I would imagine they have some better technology. The ISO performance in DX/crop sensors has come a long way in the past few years, just like it has in the FX (Full frame) world. ISO performance is also one main area that customers keep asking for improvements in, no matter how good it already is, so I would be shocked if Nikon ever took a step back in that regard. At a bare minimum, we can expect the same or better performance as the old 12 MP sensor but now with 16MP. I really suspect it will be better though, based on the D3100 samples from the new 14MP sensor they also have.

    Whatever replaces the D300s will almost certainly use this new 16MP sensor as well.
    You might be a little incorrect on that. There has been a lot of talk about the the D400 being a relatively inexpensive FF camera model. Right now the D400 is a big question mark.

    The D4 will be launched in the spring time and then we'll all know a lot better what to expect. My thinking is Nikon won't make the same goof they did with the D700. The D4, D4s, D4x, D4xs, etc will be completely separate in terms of sensor technology and other improvements from the other bodies. I won't be be shocked if it's only a 16mp FF camera since nikon doesn't give two bits about sensor resolution and nor should they. the fact this camera will likely have a dual exposure mode already has me somewhat excited.

    My big bit of confusion is with Canon delaying their bodies until Nikon releases theirs. I suspect the 5D Mark III will be arriving soon though and it'll be interesting to see the reactions if the sensor is the same old 21mp camera. I think 50% of 5D users would be totally excited to get a 21mp camera with nice ISO and autofocus that actually works. I'll be shocked if canon has anything but the 21mp sensor in that camera.

    I'm more excited about that 35mm 1.4 myself. Even though it'll be a good six months until anybody has one for rent.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally posted by quazimoto


    You might be a little incorrect on that. There has been a lot of talk about the the D400 being a relatively inexpensive FF camera model. Right now the D400 is a big question mark.

    The D4 will be launched in the spring time and then we'll all know a lot better what to expect. My thinking is Nikon won't make the same goof they did with the D700. The D4, D4s, D4x, D4xs, etc will be completely separate in terms of sensor technology and other improvements from the other bodies. I won't be be shocked if it's only a 16mp FF camera since nikon doesn't give two bits about sensor resolution and nor should they. the fact this camera will likely have a dual exposure mode already has me somewhat excited.

    My big bit of confusion is with Canon delaying their bodies until Nikon releases theirs. I suspect the 5D Mark III will be arriving soon though and it'll be interesting to see the reactions if the sensor is the same old 21mp camera. I think 50% of 5D users would be totally excited to get a 21mp camera with nice ISO and autofocus that actually works. I'll be shocked if canon has anything but the 21mp sensor in that camera.

    I'm more excited about that 35mm 1.4 myself. Even though it'll be a good six months until anybody has one for rent.
    I would be shocked if they ditched their "Pro" level DX camera which has been a huge seller for them for the D7000, which in many ways is still a step down from the D300(s). There is a big market for a pro level DX camera, and not everyone wants FX.

    From what I read, the D700 successor will either have the D3s sensor or a new 16 MP full frame sensor. Either option would likely make equal amounts of people happy. I haven't read a single thing yet that suggests the D400 (assuming that is the D300s successor) will be full frame, and I can't imagine Nikon would shoot themselves in the foot like that. I'm not saying there won't ever be a really affordable full frame camera, but I would certainly bet on there being a logical successor to the D300s.

    I agree though that there is a huge amount of speculation regarding D300s successor specs and D700 successor specs, particularly in the sensor department for the D700 replacement.

    The Canon announcement that had me puzzled the most is the 60D. They released a new camera that barely competes with the 2 year old D90 three weeks before the D7000 is released which is spec'd more closely to the 7D but priced like the 60D. It's a full 2 years behind and it hasn't even hit the shelves yet.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-15-2010 at 02:26 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    2,932
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I don't see a heck of a lot outside of video that's above the D300 or D300s (unless high ISO performance is a big step above). Given that they're calling this a D90 replacement, I'm guessing there'll be a D300 successor.

    I don't see DX going anywhere anytime soon. Even if they make a cheaper FX body, the glass is still bigger and more expensive than the DX equivalent, and there are lots of consumers that don't want that bulk and/or want the reach.

    I'm excited about the 35mm 1.4, although it's out of my price range at the moment, especially with a Samyang 35mm 1.4 for 25% of the price on it's way.

    SB700 looks nice, I love the SB-900 controls, but would love something smaller for the bag.

    I broke out my photoshop (read: Powerpoint) skills to do a size comparison:


    SB-700 vs SB-600 by ryankarr, on Flickr

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Here are some D7000 sample full res JPEGs. Note it is a PRE PRODUCTION camera from July as well, so we can likely expect slightly better.

    ISO 3200 looks very good, even though the sample shot isn't exactly ideal. We'll of course have a better idea when a larger variety of samples begin to surface.

    ISO 100 looks ridiculously clean as expected.

    Some notes from someone who has used the D7000:
    http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/09/nikon-d7000/

    Coles notes from the reviewer:

    ISO 1600 is excellent
    ISO 3200 is very good
    ISO 6400 is usable in certain circumstances


    ISO 3200, F4, 1/40 sec, 18-105 VR, noise reduction completely OFF, straight out of camera:

    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version


    ISO 100, F5.3, 1/250, 18-105 VR

    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

    More Samples:
    http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/nik...review-images/
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-15-2010 at 04:02 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,122
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Nikon isn't the only one looking to make more full frame cameras so as I said don't be shocked if the D400 is a FX camera. This has been discussed by some people but again it's all uncertain. People want the D400 in DX however equally as many if not more want a D400 in FX. The market exists for both. Just need to remember in terms of quality the FX will always trump the DX

    The D4 and D800 will not be overly similar. I would be extremely shocked to see the D800 having many of the options the D4 will have. I dont think Canon nor Nikon will make that same mistake in the future can kill sales of flagship models. As it stands right now there was never a serious reason for somebody to want to buy a D3 body over a D700 body. The differences between the two were well just not significant. I dont see the D4 and D800 being the same way.

    I could see the numbering system they are using start to get messed with as well as we've seen recently. It's almost becoming confusing to watch.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Border City
    My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by quazimoto
    As it stands right now there was never a serious reason for somebody to want to buy a D3 body over a D700 body.
    The D3x has ridiculously detailed images for anyone doing studio work, and the D3 and D3s have a four FPS advantage over the D700 right of the box. As well, they have the below advantage:


    Originally posted by Go4Long
    I'm interested to see the newer samples...for the outdoor sports thing it might be good to have a crop body in the bag.
    Nikon caught on to the idea of switching between how much of the sensor you're using with the D3 and it's brilliant in every way. I can go from using my 70-200 on full-frame mode for editorial work like concerts and events and then switch it to a crop sensor for shooting sports.

Page 1 of 51 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 01-24-2011, 10:16 PM
  2. FS: SIGMA 12-24mm lens for NIKON, Sigma Flash For Nikon Dslr

    By CiviccCaiz in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 13
    Latest Threads: 08-24-2007, 11:37 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 03-08-2005, 02:22 PM
  4. lastest kill.

    By Ed the SOHC in forum Street Encounters
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 09-04-2002, 09:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •