Quantcast
Lastest Nikon Announcements - Page 48 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Lastest Nikon Announcements

Lens Rentals has their 105/1.4E review up:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...f-bench-tests/

As sharp or sharper than most of the best F2-F2.8 lenses, but at F1.4. That's quite impressive.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Not surprising after renting it shortly after release and comparing it to my Zeiss. Definitely want it in my arsenal!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

The more I use it the more I'm impressed with it. It's rare to get a lens that's this sharp but still has amazing rendering.

blitz - great portraits with the 105mm f/1.4. It's a killer lens for Nikon shooters.

Anyone plan on getting the 19mm T/S? I'd like to see some good shots from the 19mm.
    I love my 17mm T/S. I find it's pretty sharp when not shifted or tilted. It was glued to my camera for a couple years until I got the 24mm T/S.

Lens Rentals has their full test out for the 70-200/2.8FL VR. It's the sharpest 70-200 he's ever tested by a clear margin, especially at 135mm and 200mm:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...-vr-mtf-tests/

If only we could do something about this exchange rate...

D7500 announced yesterday as expected:

20.9MP Sensor from D500
    Expeed 5 from D5/D500
    51pt CAM 3500II AF module with group AF
    8 FPS
    50 frame 14bit RAW buffer
    180k RGB meter from D5/D500
    EFCS
    4K/30p video (30 min) w/power aperture
    Auto AF fine tune
    Full dust/weather sealing
    Tilting touch LCD
    Bluetooth/Wifi

$1699 CAD

Looks to be great value if you need an action/wildlife cam or are upgrading from a previous D7XXX.

D810 successor should be next, maybe in a couple months if we're lucky. Scared to see the price though.

Originally posted by blitz
    The more I use it the more I'm impressed with it. It's rare to get a lens that's this sharp but still has amazing rendering.
    Ryan how are you finding the focus speed on the 105? When I tested it out it seemed significantly slower then my 85 1.4. What are your thoughts?

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Eride

Ryan how are you finding the focus speed on the 105? When I tested it out it seemed significantly slower then my 85 1.4. What are your thoughts?
    It's probably the slowest of the 1.4 primes, which are all slow to start with. I use my 85/1.8G when I need quick AF for events and such, 105 is only for static subjects.

My Ride
    G

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    D7500 announced yesterday as expected:

20.9MP Sensor from D500
    Expeed 5 from D5/D500
    51pt CAM 3500II AF module with group AF
    8 FPS
    50 frame 14bit RAW buffer
    180k RGB meter from D5/D500
    EFCS
    4K/30p video (30 min) w/power aperture
    Auto AF fine tune
    Full dust/weather sealing
    Tilting touch LCD
    Bluetooth/Wifi

$1699 CAD

Looks to be great value if you need an action/wildlife cam or are upgrading from a previous D7XXX.

D810 successor should be next, maybe in a couple months if we're lucky. Scared to see the price though.
    From what I read it's almost like they're nerfing the d7xxx line so that the d500 can take it's place. I read the 7500 only has one sd slot, no connectors for battery grip and lower res screen than the 7200. Makes me wonder if they're gonna keep the d5xxx line around in the future

Edit: regarding the grip I guess they could do the grip from the older style cameras where it slides into the battery compartment
    Last edited by JC522; 04-12-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Originally posted by JC522

From what I read it's almost like they're nerfing the d7xxx line so that the d500 can take it's place. I read the 7500 only has one sd slot, no connectors for battery grip and lower res screen than the 7200. Makes me wonder if they're gonna keep the d5xxx line around in the future

Edit: regarding the grip I guess they could do the grip from the older style cameras where it slides into the battery compartment
    It's hardly a nerf - you're forgetting 8FPS, 50 frame RAW buffer, 180k RGB meter from the D5/D500 (this along with Expeed 5 will dramatically improve 3D AF), better sensor, group AF, Expeed 5, auto AF fine tune, tilting touch screen, 4k Video with uncompressed HDMI output, power aperture, etc. Those are all improvements and more important to the average D7XXX buyer than some screen resolution or a second card slot. I've never seen a D7XXX body with a grip on it in my life either. My guess is Nikon did some market research, took the least used features, and got rid of them in favor of a significant performance bump. Third party grips should still work as well.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this camera is targeting D90, D300, D7000, and D7100 users, as well as D3XXX and D5XXX users looking to move up. Not so much D7200 users. Most people's upgrade schedule is 2-3 generations, and this is a massive upgrade from any of the earlier cameras. The D7XXX series is one of the top money makers for Nikon, it's a very important camera for them. The trickle down of D500/D5 tech is one thing that keeps these cameras selling so well and the D7500 should be no exception.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-13-2017 at 09:24 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'll definitely be looking to replace my D90

My Ride
    G

I mean don't get me wrong, I used to have a d7k and I still borrow my dad's d7k when I need a backup and it's a great camera. I'm just saying the d7xxx line used to be the top rated dx camera but now that the d500 is out I would think theyre trying to distance the d7xxx line from it a bit since it doesn't gave to be their top dx anymore. Also I thought I read the 4k video is in crop mode?

Those new features do sound great though like the highlight metering and the auto af fine tune from the d5/d500 sounds like a great feature. Certainly lots of features I wish I had on my camera and I think this camera will still do great.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

It's hardly a nerf - you're forgetting 8FPS, 50 frame RAW buffer, 180k RGB meter from the D5/D500 (this along with Expeed 5 will dramatically improve 3D AF), better sensor, group AF, Expeed 5, auto AF fine tune, tilting touch screen, 4k Video with uncompressed HDMI output, power aperture, etc. Those are all improvements and more important to the average D7XXX buyer than some screen resolution or a second card slot. I've never seen a D7XXX body with a grip on it in my life either. My guess is Nikon did some market research, took the least used features, and got rid of them in favor of a significant performance bump. Third party grips should still work as well.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this camera is targeting D90, D300, D7000, and D7100 users, as well as D3XXX and D5XXX users looking to move up. Not so much D7200 users. Most people's upgrade schedule is 2-3 generations, and this is a massive upgrade from any of the earlier cameras. The D7XXX series is one of the top money makers for Nikon, it's a very important camera for them. The trickle down of D500/D5 tech is one thing that keeps these cameras selling so well and the D7500 should be no exception.

Originally posted by JC522
    I mean don't get me wrong, I used to have a d7k and I still borrow my dad's d7k when I need a backup and it's a great camera. I'm just saying the d7xxx line used to be the top rated dx camera but now that the d500 is out I would think theyre trying to distance the d7xxx line from it a bit since it doesn't gave to be their top dx anymore. Also I thought I read the 4k video is in crop mode?

Those new features do sound great though like the highlight metering and the auto af fine tune from the d5/d500 sounds like a great feature. Certainly lots of features I wish I had on my camera and I think this camera will still do great.

The D2x, D200 and later the D300 used to be the top crop cameras back in the day. The D7XXX line slowly took that position over from the D300 but only in some ways (they never matched the buffer until the D7200, for example, but the sensors were way better). AF didn't catch up until around the D7100/D7200. Basically it assumed the role only because Nikon never made a D400 (earthquakes among other things forced them to scrap it). The D7XXX series was never intended as a D300 replacement, but it sort of ended up being one in the eyes of the consumer in the more recent generations as the D300 aged. The D7000 was put on sale alongside the D300/S, and has maintained it's position in the lineup ever since - it's just the ceiling kind of disappeared, so the 2nd best available became the best available by default.

The D7500 is by far the best a D7XXX camera has ever been spec-wise, but certainly they still need to justify the price gap between it and the D500 - that goes without saying. There is a balancing act between sales cannibalization and not crippling the camera. This is primarily done with the AF module (CAM20K in the D500), the dedicated AF processor in the D500, 'pro' control layout, and of course 10FPS and unlimited RAW buffer. There is easily the $800-$1000 difference in that AF module alone for serious users, so I think they have done a good job of balance. They gave the D7500 more than I thought they would, and more than they needed to IMO. I'm truly surprised they gave it the 180K RGB meter, 50 frame RAW buffer, and 8 FPS. The value proposition is very high if you can't afford a D500.

Video is cropped to 1.5X for 4K on both the D500 and D7500, but you can use the full sensor for 1080P/720P.

Removal of one SD slot and AIS/AI compatibility is unfortunate, but the improvements far outweigh those things for most buyers, and their absence will probably only affect an extremely small number of their customers. The average customer is just going to see 8FPS, lots of MP, Expeed 5, 4K, and pull the trigger. The D7200 is still for sale, and is there for anyone who isn't interested in the D7500. The typical D7XXX user is a action/wildlife enthusiast on a budget which is what the D7500 now caters to more than ever. There are better options for studio, landscape, etc.

D850 teaser press images - shouldn't be too long now:

Likely specs:

CAM20K AF from D500/D5 (guaranteed)
    Same body as the D500 for the most part (guaranteed)
    46MP or thereabouts
    1 XQD and 1 SD slot
    6/8/8 FPS or thereabouts
    4K Video / 8K Timelapse
    Bluetooth, Wifi, Snapbridge, etc.
    No pop-up flash (guaranteed)

And "a range of new technologies, features and performance enhancements that are a direct result of feedback from users over the years"
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-26-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Confirmed to be capable of higher than 8 FPS (assume that is in one of the crop modes).

This is also consistent with their press release which said it would be suitable for "commercial sports". A Nikon rep has also been quoted as saying it will be the "Ferrari" in the lineup.

4K video will also apparently be available at 1:1 without crop.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-28-2017 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

The rep was at Springbank Airshow and indicated they're expecting it to retail pretty high...like nearly $5k...if that's the case I'll just be buying another D810...
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Go4Long View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The rep was at Springbank Airshow and indicated they're expecting it to retail pretty high...like nearly $5k...if that's the case I'll just be buying another D810...
    We already know it will be roughly ~$4500 CAD, so +/- $500 would not be too surprising at all. Just look at what Canon is charging $4500 for...and people are paying it.

Latest rumor info is 10 FPS, but the resolution at that speed is not mentioned. If The D850 can replace both the D810 and D500 with one body, it will actually not be overpriced even if its's $5K but we will see. Also, if Nikon chooses to use old exchange rates (which they likely will), you can expect an "add to cart to see price" much less than MSRP to be in line with current exchange rates. Also remember the D810 was almost $1000 off only 4 months after announcement for those paying attention

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

The idea of replacing two bodies with one is great...except that I use two bodies at once...lol. I have the 400mm 2.8 on one side with the D810, and the 70-200 on the other side with the D500...using the blackrapid breathe.

Granted, I'm in the minority on how I use my bodies.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Go4Long View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The idea of replacing two bodies with one is great...except that I use two bodies at once...lol. I have the 400mm 2.8 on one side with the D810, and the 70-200 on the other side with the D500...using the blackrapid breathe.

Granted, I'm in the minority on how I use my bodies.
    You'll just have to get two then It's only money.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

If those specs are true they'll have to price it really high or D5 sales would disappear overnight.

Maybe Nikon's feeling the pressure from Sony and has realized they should just be releasing the best camera's they can and not purposely crippling performance to prop up other models in their lineup like Canon seems to do.

Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48 49 ... LastLast