Quantcast
2010/11 UC Engg - Page 24 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010/11 UC Engg

Originally posted by colinxx235
    My suggestion is just to get as many old Chem 357 midterms/finals as you can. Even without them its a pretty easy course to catch up on.

Assuming its still german guy, he was a big fan of repeating questions (feel free to correct me if this has changed in the last two years)

A course like Chem 357 is easy to catchup on mainly because its mostly memorization and reading. That course doesn't build on itself like other ones do. So if you miss some time, yes it sucks and you're behind. But at least you aren't missing key principles required to continue learning.
    Nah, prof for the last two years has been a guy with a british-sounding accent.

Originally posted by Disoblige

True, but why would someone take CHEM357 if they're still in first year with 10 full courses?
    Not everyone in first year engg is necessarily taking all 10 courses. For example, I started in physics and got credit for half of the first year engg courses when I switched programs. Since I only needed to take 5 first year engg courses i just took a few extra course along the way.

Originally posted by WithTheLightsOn
    Sorry for your loss.

I'm in that class too right now. It's funny because during the lectures most things make sense and are easy to understand, but then when you have to put it all together it goes for me. At least it's all multiple choice with partial marks too, but still...

My advice would be to first start catching up in your first year classes that matter the most. If you feel you have time, definitely go for ochem as well. See if you can get a copy of the lecture notes filled in and study those along the slides. If you can do that and go through the book for parts you don't understand, you can catch pretty quickly. I had to do that before the midterm for one of the lecture sets I completely missed (we've covered 10 lecture sets so far), and it took me no more than 2 hours to get caught up. You can also go through some of the older midterms to see how you're doing.

Keep in mind that you can have until the last day of classes to withdraw, so there's no rush to figure out if you can do it. Of course, if you don't think you're ready enough for the final, make sure to drop the course. As much as it sucks to throw $500, it's better than fucking up your GPA and your chances of getting into your 2nd year program. You also might want to check with the undergrad office before dropping, just in case.

Good luck with everything!
    Thanks for the info. Do you find the textbook helps? I downloaded a copy but the prof hasn't listed the relevant chapters/sections in the outline/syllabus so I'm not really sure where to start.

For those who have taken it over a year ago, do you remember your profs name? Sometimes there's some good tips for the class on rate my professors.
    Last edited by GordonGekko; 03-07-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Originally posted by GordonGekko

Thanks for the info. Do you find the textbook helps? I downloaded a copy but the prof hasn't listed the relevant chapters/sections in the outline/syllabus so I'm not really sure where to start.

For those who have taken it over a year ago, do you remember your profs name? Sometimes there's some good tips for the class on rate my professors.
    the sections of the book we cover are on each set of the lecture notes.

AWW FUCK SAJNAY IS HERE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by GordonGekko
    For those who have taken it, is CHEM 357 a tough course? It's organic chemistry for engineers.

I'm asking because I'm in it now and I haven't done shit in the class so far except learning the nomenclature. I missed 3 weeks of the course including the mid-term when I flew home after a death in the family. In my other courses I have an idea of how much work I'll have to do to catch up but for CHEM 357 I have no idea how fucked I am. So I'm wondering if you found it to be a tough course, how hard is it compared to, say, CHEM 209? I have a good 7 weeks to catch up before my final that's worth 75% (along with catching up in 3 other courses) How fucked am I?

Reason I want to know is because I'm only in first year ENGG so I don't need this course to get to second year. So if it's ridiculously hard, I'll just take the W now and GTFO rather than wasting time studying if I'm already too far behind to pull a decent mark.
    Set up an appointment with Dr. Norman and explain your situation to him. He is reasonable and would be willing to work something out to help you.

When my dad passed away in first year, I dropped two courses and was still able to get into priority one. But I had to do those two courses in spring and obviously still have to meet the GPA requirement to get into Mech.

Talk to him and try to work something out before dropping anything. If you can get into priority one, drop something that you can take in spring. Assuming you can take courses in spring/summer. If you can't, just drop 357 and focus on your first year courses.

Chem 357 is only available in winter, I think? It's not too tough of a course but at least your schedule will be more flexible in 2nd year.

Originally posted by WithTheLightsOn

AWW FUCK SAJNAY IS HERE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    Ya I saw sanjay yesterday too he was wandering around talking to people
    computers are like whores. moody bitches that cost too much and no matter how much protection you have you can still get a virus

My Ride
    01 TDI

Originally posted by magicmario

Ya I saw sanjay yesterday too he was wandering around talking to people
    He tried talking to me as I was helping put up posters with a friend.
    First experience with this guy although I've heard stories, he's a strange fellow.

My Ride
    E46

Haha, Sanjay.
    Most entertaining guy ever.

Anyways, has any one here taken the Minor in Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development?
    Worth it? Useful in the future?
    I'm considering dropping the minor but am having second thoughts.

Some second opinions would be appreciated.

TL

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Originally posted by Little Dragon
    Haha, Sanjay.
    Most entertaining guy ever.

Anyways, has any one here taken the Minor in Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development?
    Worth it? Useful in the future?
    I'm considering dropping the minor but am having second thoughts.

Some second opinions would be appreciated.
    Paging jwslam

Anyone in civil who has 3rd and 4th year roadmaps?
    Willing to pay. I am really in need for the next few years. Thank you beyonders.

EDIT: Also I have a question regarding lower level courses. Can we postpone taking a 300lvl course to 4th year since its not a prereq to anything?
    Last edited by urban_chic; 06-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by diamondedge

Paging jwslam
    Wow... I'm so far behind
    For your reference, diamondedge, I didn't do MEED.
    I took MGSO . 10 courses that took me a full year to do because everything time conflicts. It's very different from MEED in that you do one of everything whereas MEED is based on ENTI.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Originally posted by jwslam

Wow... I'm so far behind
    For your reference, diamondedge, I didn't do MEED.
    I took MGSO . 10 courses that took me a full year to do because everything time conflicts. It's very different from MEED in that you do one of everything whereas MEED is based on ENTI.

I see, my mistake.

Originally posted by urban_chic
    Anyone in civil who has 3rd and 4th year roadmaps?
    Willing to pay. I am really in need for the next few years. Thank you beyonders.

EDIT: Also I have a question regarding lower level courses. Can we postpone taking a 300lvl course to 4th year since its not a prereq to anything?
    No one will have 4th year road maps because they changed 100% of the fourth year curriculum this year to be common for all.

As for 3rd year road maps, they changed 20% of third year.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by urban_chic
    i.e. COMS363? Yes lots of people take it in 4th year. But note COMS363 is uni-wide so it fills up fast no matter what year.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

i.e. COMS363? Yes lots of people take it in 4th year. But note COMS363 is uni-wide so it fills up fast no matter what year.
    True, so I took it in Spring. Register when it opens up that course goes fast.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by liquidboi69

No one will have 4th year road maps because they changed 100% of the fourth year curriculum this year to be common for all.
    Wait, what? They completely changed 4th year?

Ie: ENCI337.(Computing for Civils). The reason why I would prefer to postpone it till next year (and was wondering if that would get me in trouble in the long run) is because I just got admitted to Civil this year, and I have most of the 2nd yr courses done (Just 2 courses left for 2nd yr, ENCI 337 and ENME 341). I can take some 3rd year courses because I have the prereqs. And I am done all the options btw..

Dont ask me how this happened. It took me a few years to get to Civil

And that is sad about 3th & 4th year roadmaps. No social life..here we go.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Once you're admitted to a department, AFAIK they don't really care what order you do classes as long as your grades are good. Hell, there was a semester that I was taking 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year Civil courses at the same time.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    Once you're admitted to a department, AFAIK they don't really care what order you do classes as long as your grades are good. Hell, there was a semester that I was taking 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year Civil courses at the same time.
    Thanks that cleared things up!

Also do you think they will prove if I ask them to overlap that class (enci 337) completely with a 3rd year course and study on my own? Haha. Its a really desperate attempt. Because otherwise ill only have like 3 classes this fall.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I really can't advise you on that one, you're best off talking to the Undergrad Office.

Alright, thank you, BerserkerCatSplat!

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 ... LastLast