Quantcast
2010/11 UC Engg - Page 25 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: 2010/11 UC Engg

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I thought ENCI337 is pretty essential to everything else you do in other courses. ENCI337 is excel heavy and teaches you all the tips and tricks you need for completing calculations in later courses. Why it's not a pre-req is beyond me.

But then again, I'm a mechie and probably don't know wtf I'm talking about.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I remember signing up for 337 and thinking "Excel? What a lame course!"

I came out of it using Excel for everything. I still do, it's so fantastically handy.

So do you guys think I should register for that class, take the 3rd year class it overlaps with next year, and actually go to lectures instead?

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by jwslam
    I thought ENCI337 is pretty essential to everything else you do in other courses. ENCI337 is excel heavy and teaches you all the tips and tricks you need for completing calculations in later courses. Why it's not a pre-req is beyond me.

But then again, I'm a mechie and probably don't know wtf I'm talking about.
    our 337 is way more in depth. I don't know about civil, but correct me if i'm wrong. i heard that civil doesn't use Visual basic at all, and they just use basic commands in the program for an entire semester. while mechies have to do excel with visual basic, matlab and solidworks in the same class

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Wait, what? They completely changed 4th year?
    Hey man how's it going with you over in the work world? Ya the change is kinda brutal. So basically I'm in a structural minor now. I have to take 2 structural classes (which makes you a structural minor...), then I pick 4 cores out of 6, and 2 electives out of 4.

But the cores are now like

Soils 2
    Transpo 2
    Project management 2
    Enviro 2
    Materials 2
    Structural 2

It has become very...'general' studies like. In addition to that, a bunch of profs got fired/retired this year, and Dr. Lynne isn't head next year! They completely overhauled all the courses. PM2 is now a combo of PM and construction management, soils is more or less similar, enviro 2 has a new cirriculum, and materials (Dr. Lynne's class) now has El Hacha teaching half of it for pre-stressed rebar...

They no longer have inidivdual specialized courses like masonry, highway design, water resources, wood, steel, theory of structures. None of these exist anymore.

Apparently (looking at the CEUS AGM notes from previous years,) they were planning this for a long time, but likely just recently implemented it because their lack of staff/funding.
    Last edited by liquidboi69; 06-16-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Also, to reply to urban_chic, yes I also took 2nd 3rd, and 4th year at the same time with BerserkerCatSplat (long while ago lol.)

You CAN overlap and study on your own, but it will be very hard. I actually was able to do this with a lab, and bascially you have to get the prof to sign something called a time conflict sheet to let the registrar's office overlap you. However, it's 99% likely that the prof won't let you do that unless they know you are a genius, or have a legit good excuse. They'll be more willing to do this with labs, as you can go into other labs that are full..but if it's the lecture I don't think they will. You should go get that sheet, find the profs, and ask anyway however.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by dandia89

our 337 is way more in depth. I don't know about civil, but correct me if i'm wrong. i heard that civil doesn't use Visual basic at all, and they just use basic commands in the program for an entire semester. while mechies have to do excel with visual basic, matlab and solidworks in the same class
    You heard wrong, assuming the curriculum hasn't changed. We used Visual Basic for much of the course when I took it. Obv. no Matlab or Solidworks since we don't really use those programs in our field, so the whole course was focused on Excel.

Originally posted by liquidboi69

Hey man how's it going with you over in the work world? Ya the change is kinda brutal. So basically I'm in a structural minor now. I have to take 2 structural classes (which makes you a structural minor...), then I pick 4 cores out of 6, and 2 electives out of 4.

But the cores are now like

Soils 2
    Transpo 2
    Project management 2
    Enviro 2
    Materials 2
    Structural 2

It has become very...'general' studies like. In addition to that, a bunch of profs got fired/retired this year, and Dr. Lynne isn't head next year! They completely overhauled all the courses. PM2 is now a combo of PM and construction management, soils is more or less similar, enviro 2 has a new cirriculum, and materials (Dr. Lynne's class) now has El Hacha teaching half of it for pre-stressed rebar...

They no longer have inidivdual specialized courses like masonry, highway design, water resources, wood, steel, theory of structures. None of these exist anymore.

Apparently (looking at the CEUS AGM notes from previous years,) they were planning this for a long time, but likely just recently implemented it because their lack of staff/funding.
    Working life is good man, you learn a lot once you step into the office and start on the real projects. Definitely challenging!

The 4th year changes sound fucking stupid. No minors so they can force people into grad school, is what I heard the justification was. They've completely genericized the Civil program and it's a damned shame. Oh, well, I've long stopped recommending UofC engineering to anyone considering how horribly they've mismanaged the faculty. At least I got out before they made it worse.

Originally posted by liquidboi69
    Also, to reply to urban_chic, yes I also took 2nd 3rd, and 4th year at the same time with BerserkerCatSplat (long while ago lol.)

You CAN overlap and study on your own, but it will be very hard. I actually was able to do this with a lab, and bascially you have to get the prof to sign something called a time conflict sheet to let the registrar's office overlap you. However, it's 99% likely that the prof won't let you do that unless they know you are a genius, or have a legit good excuse. They'll be more willing to do this with labs, as you can go into other labs that are full..but if it's the lecture I don't think they will. You should go get that sheet, find the profs, and ask anyway however.
    Thanks for the tips liquidboi69! Ugh, too bad im no genius...the reason why I wanted to do this is because I just want to graduate already...since I've been in university for the last X years doing nothing (i would prefer to not say it because it is embarrasing)...switched from science to social science to arts, took semesters off here and there, to figure out which the one I'd really want to pursue. (and now finally in Civil). I just want to graduate asap. I dont know if I can actually say that as my reason..because it is true. Anyway Im gonna talk to them soon about this, so wish me luck!
    Last edited by urban_chic; 06-16-2012 at 08:45 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmbwczTC6E
    This portrays my worldview and philosophy pretty well.
    Last edited by Sandawg; 05-02-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Hello,

If I successfully complete this term. I will finally be graduating after eight long and arduous years. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend convocation and be going away for a very long time. I would like to make a brief statement to those willing to listen. I know that many of you are also graduating, and excited to join industry for very rewarding and fulfilling careers. I can barely begin to imagine what all of you will get to contribute, what kind of experiences and insights you will gain. I know that all of us are capable of such great growth in understanding and perspective. Yet such growth can not come with formal education alone, but our ability to draw from experiences. I hope education, even technical education, leaves within us more than ability to solve equations, but an indelible imprint on our character.
    I never set out to achieve any thing grandiose, but rather tried to follow a trajectory of deep personal development. If all we achieve in this lifetime,is to preserve within us even a faint glimmer of our own humanity, and leave a trace of ourselves unto someone then we have already done a lot.
    I sincerely hope, that within this infinitesimal fragment of space and time that constitute our lives, that one of the things that we get to develop is this unwavering sense of ourselves; that there could be ten people in the room, and they could tell you are wrong, and without ignoring, condemning their opinions, without forcing yourself, you can show them with courage, conviction, and candor that you are not. I hope that we all (as Derek Walcott puts it) get to "peel our own image from the mirror".
    Thank you and Godspeed.

Best Regards,

Sanjay

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I read all of that in Sanjay's voice too, LOL.

In German the word "Zeitgeist", means the spirit of our times, the cultural, intellectual and political climate of an era. Some eras have a strong sense of itself and its place...a cultural wind of sorts; You can feel the changing times. For example, the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, the 1960s... What is our Zeitgeist?
    There is a general uncertainty with our political and economic system. The American financial crisis, the European debt crisis, the changes sweeping across the Arab world, the steady and unwavering progress of India and China. Our faith in the political and economic system has been broken. People are anxious about the future.
    These problems while seemingly disparate seem to have some commonalities. I think the problem is, there lacks a multigenerational responsibility. As astrophysicist Neil De Grass Tyson observed "We live quarterly report to quarterly report, election cycle to election cycle, driven by a false sense of rush driven by technology and economics".
    The Cologne cathedral, took over 600 years to build. Through regime changes, wars, insurrections, they never forgot the architect's vision. There is something really organic about medieval cathedrals. Medieval life was (to paraphrase Hobbes) nasty, brutish and short, however everyone had a role to play. There was a sense of higher purpose which is lacking nowadays. There was a social fabric which has been torn. I am not advocating we return to the medieval mentality simply that we can learn from it.
    Engineers are technically brilliant and often singular minded and focused. Yet we cannot deny our broader role for society. The financial crisis was caused by intelligent people lacking a social conscience. In this climate of uncertainty a social conscience is perhaps more important than mere technical competence.
    We are living in a world that needs our insights and contributions more than ever. Some of the greatest challenges of this century will be food security, climate change, energy security, explosion of population and its associated needs for education, l and health care. Engineers can do a lot to solve such complex and entrenched global problems. Yet these problems have more than technical dimensions. To solve such problems would require vision, it would require leadership.
    Some amongst you will be the next generation of leaders. To make change on a meaningful level we have to engage with the power brokers of tomorrow, who maybe won't be handicapped by the myopic vision of leaders of today. I hope the next generation of leaders which will be guided by a deep social awareness.
    Human lives will perhaps will always be fraught with issues, poverty, war, ethnic conflict...economic crisis. Nevertheless it is important to strive for things that are a bit beyond our grasp. We must each strive to contribute our droplet to the pool of human experience and knowledge. This is our moment.

If he truly got his Engineering degree it makes me feel as if the whole system and standards at U of C are pretty much a joke. Although realistically any company that would hire him after an interview is even worse. I just pray that you are never appointed to a position where your lack of skills could potentially hurt someone.

And with that it is time to put you on the ignore list as I'd prefer not to receive PM's. Even as sad as individual that you are, surely you can find something better to do than send messages to everyone who discussed you in this thread

My Ride
    Silverado

Was trolled by Sanjay at school for years. Graduated 2 weeks ago. Now being trolled on beyond.

Fml

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by colinxx235
    If he truly got his Engineering degree it makes me feel as if the whole system and standards at U of C are pretty much a joke.
    U of C is a joke, there is no doubt about it. I got my piece of paper and left as soon as I could.

We were guinea pigs for everything during my years there. With the exception of a few excellent profs out of many terrible ones, the structure for my 4 years there was pretty brutal. Want a good grade? Just copy/memorize/cheat. Don't bother learning. That's the way most of the courses are set up. So many people get pissed at the amount of cheating going on there, but nothing ever happens.

Most of the learning I did was either from the few good profs I had, or learning on my own time through YouTube videos, Googling, and textbooks.

U of C, it sucks.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 05-14-2013 at 08:25 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by colinxx235
    it is time to put you on the ignore list as I'd prefer not to receive PM's. Even as sad as individual that you are, surely you can find something better to do than send messages to everyone who discussed you in this thread
    Did the same thing.

Who is Sanjay and what did he do

I have never cheated on a test in my life, and I do all my assignments on my own. My last term GPA was 3.4 taking five courses. This is despite having terminal multiple schlerosis and Trigeminal neuralgia. Surely, you people have better things to do than discuss me on an online forum.

And yes for those who are wondering I have several developmental and mental conditions including Asperger's syndrome and psychosis. Being afflicted with multiple ailments obviously makes it difficult to cope. FYI I had the highest score in ENCM 369 in class with 98 percent and have several A's on my transcripts (and several F's and D"s as well). On terms I concentrated, meds were working I did fine. On terms I was not mentally stable I failed a few courses...

Originally posted by Disoblige

U of C is a joke, there is no doubt about it. I got my piece of paper and left as soon as I could.

We were guinea pigs for everything during my years there. With the exception of a few excellent profs out of many terrible ones, the structure for my 4 years there was pretty brutal. Want a good grade? Just copy/memorize/cheat. Don't bother learning. That's the way most of the courses are set up. So many people get pissed at the amount of cheating going on there, but nothing ever happens.

Most of the learning I did was either from the few good profs I had, or learning on my own time through YouTube videos, Googling, and textbooks.

U of C, it sucks.
    Do you think other universities are really any different? Everyone I talk to that has an engineering degree did the same thing. grass is always greener on the other side.

just be happy you're done and don't have to suffer any more

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 LastLast