Quantcast
Why are people so opposed to the gun registry? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so opposed to the gun registry?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
    called a botton
    Really? You type a three word post, and you can't even manage to get that correct.
    Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-21-2019 at 05:30 PM.

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    If I was placed in that kind of situation I would be inclined to shoot the guy in the knee or somewhere else not lethal, then call the police... but the reality is they would sue you and you would get into expensive legal trouble and maybe even jail.
    This is truly unfortunate fact, not only for is validity but also for how "bubble-wrapped" our society has become.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

This boggles the mind doesn't it, I have heard of people basically shooting the intruder dead.... then they fire a shot into the ceiling immediately after. When asked, they said they fired a warning shot and then shot the trespasser.... it equates to getting off scott free.

If I was placed in that kind of situation I would be inclined to shoot the guy in the knee or somewhere else not lethal, then call the police... but the reality is they would sue you and you would get into expensive legal trouble and maybe even jail.

Fuck it, I am just getting a paintball gun full of marbles for my self defense at home.
    Yeah shooting to wound will only end bad for the shooter, regardless of the intruder's intentions. In Canada, if it ever gets to the point where you absolutely have to defend yourself with a firearm to save your own life, you had better make sure you shoot to kill. Also, from what I understand, it works against you if you use any more shots than necessary to kill the intruder. I can't confirm that though.

At least 99.999999% of us will never be in such a situation, so we can be thankful for that.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-21-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Let's not confuse the sissies out east from us out west. These guys are so hung up and still can't believe school shootings happened in their sacred liberal lands. Thus them fighting for this and other periodic reviews of how those affected are feeling after it all

These people have white flags in their pockets ready to roll over and surrender. Pathetic and is not Canadian, but rather Quebecor. Fucking pathetic.
    Last edited by jj83civic; 09-18-2010 at 11:24 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Also, from what I understand, it works against you if you use any more shots than necessary to kill the intruder. I can't confirm that though.
    That is correct. The odd part about that is, no matter how hardcore I'd like to think I am I somehow think I'd be so terrified at the same time that I would plant more bullets in him than necessary. Not only that, there are many people who die from one single bullet yet others that somehow survive with a body full of bullets.

To expand on my thoughts on this, one half of me would definitely shoot-to-kill if someone invaded my home and was willing to harm or kill my own family. However, the other half of me knows that I have met a two specific people in my life, one having raped someone and one having killed someone in there dark past, yet now are truly inspirational and brilliant people and are good souls on the inside. It's amazing how the wrong crowd, wrong upbringing and wrong influences can bring even the most capable high-potential human beings to the absolute lowest they could become.
    Last edited by Pollywog; 09-18-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Maybe the registry deters some people from buying guns. Do you guys think that scrapping the registry would lead to an increase in gun sales? Would people be more open with guns - like packing heat in their glove box, for example?

My Ride

Originally posted by Guillermo
    Maybe the registry deters some people from buying guns. Do you guys think that scrapping the registry would lead to an increase in gun sales? Would people be more open with guns - like packing heat in their glove box, for example?
    Sadly, I would be more tempted to own a gun if the registry was abolished for a few reasons - of which may be reasons that are ignorantly founded.

1- I like the idea ofhaving the peace of mind that - god forbid - I would be in a situation where I would have to fend for my own life, and that my weapon could be the difference between my family's/my own survival vs the enemy.

2- The idea that many others would also be packing weapons would make me probably more fearful rather than comfortable with the thought that others who possibly do not have as stable of minds would misjudge as to when it would be justifiable to resort to using a firearm to control a situation - further encouraging me to possess one myself.

3- I personally don't want any government body to know that I own a firearm, and not just because I don't think it is any of their business, but as well because it seems like (put on the tinfoil hat) our governments around the world are taking away more and more freedoms and rights of ours. This may sound insane, but if I had to flee from my own government (dont flame me, it has happened to hundreds of civilizations in the past including modern ones) I wouldn't want my methods of defense to be known to anyone but myself.

Call me insane, but those are my honest thoughts.

Flame-suit activated.
    Last edited by Pollywog; 09-19-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Originally posted by Pollywog
    That is correct. The odd part about that is, no matter how hardcore I'd like to think I am I somehow think I'd be so terrified at the same time that I would plant more bullets in him than necessary. Not only that, there are many people who die from one single bullet yet others that somehow survive with a body full of bullets.
    And thats a big part of it, most of us couldn't even do it if we had to. If someone truly thought they were going to die, they would probably piss themselves and be shaking too much to even pick up a gun, never mind fire off a few well placed shots. It's also impossible to train for a situation like that.

The other thing is that hand guns are actually quite poor for home defense. First, they need to be stored more securely than an unrestricted firearm which means they are harder to access quickly assuming they are legally stored. Secondly, you need to shoot them very accurately and under pressure, which is difficult. Lastly, bullets of all types can penetrate walls, perhaps into a child's room next door or whatever - obviously this is very bad. Therefore, the ideal weapon for home defense is a shotgun with buckshot, which can easily stop an intruder, doesn't require you to be completely accurate, and will not easily penetrate into adjoining rooms. It's also unrestricted so you can store it behind only one level of security, like in your closet or a case under your bed. Nothing says fuck off quite like the "shuck shuck" sound of a pump shotgun haha.

All that said, I personally do not store my firearm at home.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-19-2010 at 02:18 AM.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Default Re: Why are people so opposed to the gun registry?

I don't understand why some people are so opposed to the gun registry? (I didn't grow up in Canada, so I don't really know the history, etc.) However, from what I read on wikipedia, it just seems as if gun owners need to register their guns. Why is this such a big deal?
    1.) It's been expensive and is expensive

2.) It provides little to nothing positive for responsible gun owners.

3.) It has the potential to create a false sense of security for law enforcement in the sort of "oh, there's no registered guns at the residence" way.

4.) If you're farmer John, who has 50 plinker rifles sitting in your safe from collecting over the years, that's now a $1,250.00 bill you have to pay to not be considered a criminal.

5.) It was a knee-jerk policy created to pacify the flaming eastern liberals who were unable to use deductive logic that would clearly show them that a registry only creates a log of the guns owned by legal and licensed owners who essentially don't commit gun crimes. (no source, but confident)

6.) It's more invasive government legislation that is nothing more than pandering to a completely unaware group of people. Because of people who are unable to identify reality, gun owners pay an extra bill, and it's not keeping anyone safe.

7.) Gun crimes have increased since the legislation passed.

I'm for the proper training and licensing, and I'm for a persons ability to apply and train for a concealed carry permit for restricted firearms. In that case, the training requirements should be nothing less than that of a police qualification.

I haven't an ounce of concern for a career and lifelong criminal meeting their fate when they attempt to victimize a person with the ability to save themselves. I'd bet the term "home invasion" would end up in a museum fairly quickly.

Gays should be able to get married

Equal rights for all

Legalize and tax marijuana (not a user myself)

The media should stop painting brown people as evil.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Whats pissing me off most about this, is the mp's that have been against the registry for yrs, are being forced to change their vote, going against the people who put them in place to begin with. All to side with guys like layton or ignatieff, who are 2 big retards to begin with.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Whats pissing me off most about this, is the mp's that have been against the registry for yrs, are being forced to change their vote, going against the people who put them in place to begin with. All to side with guys like layton or ignatieff, who are 2 big retards to begin with.
    Whipped votes piss me off so badly. What's the point of having MPs if they're forced to vote along the same lines as the party leader? How is that representative of the population?

My Ride
    95 240SX

I love how all the arguments about the gun registry laws are about the short term effects on current gun owners. No one complains about the long term effects whether they are positive or negative.

Im not complaining, just stating an observation. I'm not a gun owner, so I have no say in this matter, except i am not against registering Firearms or any sort of projectile weapon (bows and xbows, ballistas, catapaults, and of course Trebuches)

My Ride
    SC 03 eclipse, 06 TJ,Shadow1100, HD FXSTC, Chopper

Would people be more open with guns - like packing heat in their glove box, for example?
    You would need one hell of a big glove box to fit an unrestricted firearm in there. Pistols and restricted firearms will still need to be registered and properly stored/transported if the long gun registry is gone.
    Member since 2003.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by RecoilS14
    I love how all the arguments about the gun registry laws are about the short term effects on current gun owners. No one complains about the long term effects whether they are positive or negative.
    What are the long-term effects?

The only thing I can think of is $45 million/year in maintaining it? So 20 years from now we'll have spent another $1 billion on tracking gopher traps...

I'd rather see that $45 million go towards something more useful, such as putting more cops on the road or more helicopters in the air or building schools and social programs to reduce the number of crimes that occur in the first place...

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

double post.

I'm not a gun owner, but I grew up in a hunting family and was around them my entire childhood. I would own one for hunting, except it doesn't jive with my life right now - which consists of working 6 or 7 days a week and living in an inner-city condo.

As I said, I'm not Canadian and I don't really understand the pros and cons of the registry, but I can see how it would be a deterrent to the proliferation of guns among the public. With the registry in place, the people with guns are the ones who are willing to go through all of the expense and red tape associated with the registry - mostly enthusiasts and outdoorspeople, one woulod assume. However, without a registry, I would expect a lot of "regular joes" are going to go out and buy guns "for fun" or because they think they need them for protection. This means you now have many more guns floating around the public than you did, and they are in the hands of 'amatuer'/'weekend warrior' types.

Cigarettes and alcohol are regulated, too, and those regulations have been great for society.

I'm not for or against the registry, just trying to understand why it's controversial. You guys have given many reasons for why the registry sucks, so I'm just trying to think of reasons for why it's good.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

I'm not a gun owner, but I grew up in a hunting family and was around them my entire childhood. I would own one for hunting, except it doesn't jive with my life right now - which consists of working 6 or 7 days a week and living in an inner-city condo.

As I said, I'm not Canadian and I don't really understand the pros and cons of the registry, but I can see how it would be a deterrent to the proliferation of guns among the public. With the registry in place, the people with guns are the ones who are willing to go through all of the expense and red tape associated with the registry - mostly enthusiasts and outdoorspeople, one woulod assume. However, without a registry, I would expect a lot of "regular joes" are going to go out and buy guns "for fun" or because they think they need them for protection. This means you now have many more guns floating around the public than you did, and they are in the hands of 'amatuer'/'weekend warrior' types.

Cigarettes and alcohol are regulated, too, and those regulations have been great for society.

I'm not for or against the registry, just trying to understand why it's controversial. You guys have given many reasons for why the registry sucks, so I'm just trying to think of reasons for why it's good.

No, an 'average joe' cannot just go out and buy a long gun or any gun. Currently to purchase and use a long gun (or any gun) in Canada you are required to hold a license permitting you to purchase weapons. This automatically makes the need for a gun registry null and void. Cops can easily look up who possess such licenses and in turn know how to approach certain situations. As mentioned before do you think gang bangers are going to roll down the street with their rifles or shotguns hanging out the window to do a drive by? Hell no, their weapons of choice are guns that are illegally obtained, easily concealed and have a high rate of fire. This registry has already cost Canadians millions of dollars and has done nothing. It will not make buying new firearms any more difficult, it will only be a hassle to those that own firearms already. I know many people who posses numerous long guns that will not even register them if this bill is passed. In short it is a giant waste of time, effort and resources.
    Last edited by KRyn; 09-19-2010 at 12:27 PM.

^^why do people always play the criminal/gangster card when talking about the registry? It's clear to people on both sides of the debate that criminals acquire guns by other means anyhow. Therefore, that argument isn't really an argument at all.

As I said before, the only positive thing I can see about hte registry is that it might dissuade some people (who don't really need them) from buying guns, and therefore keeping gun density relatively low.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast