Quantcast
Official 2010/2011 Canucks Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 74 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010/2011 Canucks Thread

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Default Official 2010/2011 Canucks Thread

Well, once again and more than ever it looks like the Canucks are Canada's most likely team to win the cup.

You have Calgary, which has done little to improve and is relying on two faultering players to find their stride.

Edmonton who has great young prospects, but would be surprising to make the playoffs.

Ottawa and Montreal are both teams will skill, but are relying on superior goaltending which they may or may not get.

And Toronto is perpetually pathetic and this year is no different. Burke's attempt at building a tough team may or may not have succeeded, but there is little doubt that talent is few and far between.

Meanwhile, the Canucks have addressed what they believed to be the lesser points of their game.

While it would have been nice to get a known #1 guy on the back end, the addition of Hamhuis and Ballard make for a top pairing that should rank as good as any. While it is difficult to know exactly what will become of the Bieksa/Salo cap space issue, rest assured that Mike Gillis will not give Bieksa away for nothing. There are teams like the Ducks and Montreal who could really use the skill on their blueline and will pay to get it.

Continuing in the d corps, we have Edler and Erhoff - combining to create perhaps THE best 2nd pairing in the NHL. Finally, the bottom pair has options. Currently, it is likely to be Bieksa and O'Brien. But with a couple of prospects close to making the NHL and Salo's injury uncertain, the d has options and may be switched around. Either way you look at it, the d is probably the most talented in the NHL. I am, however, upset we got rid of Mitchell. While there is lots of scoring potential in the d-line, I hope players like Ballard are able to shut down the top opposing players.

While many felt Luongo had a poor season, that's not entirely true. While a gaa of 2.57 and save % of .913 is his worst showing since coming to Vancouver, it is still respectible for an NHL goalie. With a better defensive line and less late-game breakdowns, expect him to bounce back with numbers close to his personal bests. Which would be good - because ANY team needs to fire on all cylinders and Luongo only being "decent" is simply not enough to win a cup. Keep in mind that the Canucks want to showcase Schneider as well, which should help take the season load off Luongo and keep him fresh.

The Canucks top two lines were arguably the most prolific in last year. Career seasons all around, and second only to Washington in goals, if I'm not mistaken. Expect a performance close to or on par from these lines. They haven't been changed, and really didn't need to be either.

Perhaps the biggest area that has been upgraded is the bottom two lines. The complaint last season was that the 3rd line was not tough enough, and that the fourth line couldn't score at all. Probably true on both accounts. While somewhat unfortunate to lose names like Bernier and Wellwood, the Canucks have found much grittier talent for the third line in Malhotra and Torres. For the fourth line, they've added even more grit in Oreskovich, and someone who might actually score a few goals as opposed to the useless Hordichuk.

There are also wildcards in play. Hodgson (touted to be a poor man's Sydney Crosby) might have the ability to suit up for the big team this season. Brendan Morrison has a real chance to make the team, and would add an enormous two-way dimension to our lower lines. (Or, sit in the top two lines while Burrows is still out) There are a few other prospects which might surprise people in their NHL readiness - though I would not count on it.

All in all, I don't think I am out of line by suggesting this is the best Canucks team ever assembled. I'm totally stoked for this season, and truly think we have a shot at the cup.

My Ride
    90 B16A Honda CRX

Yah man, I hear yah. Im soooo stoked for this season. I even watched the Prospects games online just to see "Canucks" hockey.

- Im actually glad we got rid of Bernier and Wellfed, not to mention Demitra.
    I hope Morrison makes it through camp and is a regular on the 3rd line.
    Our D is great this year, Ehrhoff is the man, What a great pickup he was. I just hope we can get rid of Bieksa, worst Canuck I think.
    Im a big fan of Cory Schneider. He has so much tallent, as he showed in that game against Dallas last year. He will make a great backup, maybe even pull a Chicago and make Lu ride the pine. Humble him a bit. I think the "Lu is saviour" from the Vancouver media and a lot of fans has gotten to his head a bit.
    Lets get this season started!

Going to the Tuesday preseason game!!!...anyone know how exactly they're splitting the squads???

Will write more later....but I am HIGHLY disappointed they got rid of Wellwood, this is a guy who you want around in the playoffs....sure he does dick all during the regular season I mean, uhhhh...do we really need him to....????

Good job on Gillis or bolstering our defence, that and taking the pressure off Luu makes us even more of a contender this year...not to mention the dismantling of the Blackhawks, on paper now, we'll take the conference for sure.....but can we take out Washington haha!!

Hamhuis and Ballard are both shut down D men too which is what we need...Maholtra is an upgrade overall on Wellwood and the guy will play hard in front of a large, hometown, East Indian community....

Let's also hope Scheider starts rounding into NHL form...these days, seems like you need 2 decent goalies or a cup run.

Edler?...FUCK MAN...remember him in the playoffs before he got injured!? The guy is a MONSTER!!! Can't wait to see if he can do the same!

KESLER for captain for sure!! He has the heart...this will be the year he finally wins the Selke too!
    Last edited by Canucks3322; 09-19-2010 at 10:19 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Missed your post Canucks3322.

Wellwood is really not that much unlike Morrison. Skilled, but lacking an overall package that makes him good for the top two lines, and not gritty enough for the bottom two. While he had his moments, and I miss him in the shootout, I am much happier we have Malhotra for the 3rd line centre.

Washington proved last year that awesome scoring ability isn't everything. I expect much of the same of them this year, since I don't believe they changed much. Not having a solid #1 goalie hurts them too.

I disagree you need two good goalies for a cup run, but during the season, for sure. I agree with you - I hope he comes into form... he has so much talent, but it just hasn't translated to the NHL level.

I also would have guaranteed you Henrik would get the "C" had I read this earlier. Sure enough, it was announced today.

As for tonight's game, I was overall disappointed. They seemed to have good effort, but they just aren't gellin yet. I'll give it time, and am not really concerned yet... just disappointed.

Raymond is gonna injury himself the way he throws himself at the puck! Torres looked confused out there much of the time. Not many players reallly stood out in my mind in this game. Lou played very well - shootout aside.

Great game last night! I think I'm most happy that Hamhuis, Ballard, and Maholtra proved their worth on that PK at the end and also Luuuuu for making the saves needed!.....sucks that my favorite player, Kes, had to draw that stupid penalty that led to the tying goal but he had some jump and some good chances to scored playing with Raymond and Torres......very entertaining game...can't wait to see the Kings kick the Flames' ass tonight.

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

Malhotra is too sick on the pk! Glad we got our first win, should have got it last game but oh well. Nucks offense needs to improve, too many empty net chances missed.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Agree with both of you guys. The pk seems much improved, but offense needs to improve as well. We were the 2nd highest scoring team last season if I remember correctly, and the scoring talent has only increased this season. I'd give the players a month or two to develop chemistry and get back into the groove of things - after all, it IS still early, and the Canucks brought in many new players in the offseason.

2 words right now.....FUCKING BIEKSA....how much longer are the management staff going to let this guy fuck everything up??!?!??!

Wow... way to go, Rick Rypien.

Take out your aggression on Luongo next time, since he's the one who lost the game... again...

What a fucking douchebag.

He's done with the Canucks organization for sure.....meh, he was useless anyways besides the occasional good fist fight....

Sidenote....wow, with Ballard and Hamhuis out, we are fucked once again, esp. with Luongo in la la land.....

Wow he even gave the captian a little shove.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Lou played poorly last night, no doubt. But with 3 top-line defensemen out of the lineup, it didn't help matters any either. (As Canucks 3322 said)

I would not say the Ripper is *DONE* with the organization... there is no indication they want to drop him now. I think AV has a man-crush on him. But clearly, that is unacceptable behavior. That guy has rocks in his head.

Here's hoping tonight's game is more worthy of my time...

I'd say 5 games for Rypien and 24 hours on waivers for shoving the captain.

Rypien the epitome your 2010-2011 VannnnnCCCOoooouuuvvveeerrrr Canuckkkkss.

/endthread
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Good game against a very good Detroit team. The team is really clicking right now - great to see.

Still not convinced Lou is back to form though....

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Raffi Torres, who'da thunk?

The Canucks have three solid scoring lines for the first time in a long time. If they continue playing this way they are going to be a hard team to beat.

Luongo does need to pull it together though... but I have faith.

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

First time in 4 tries Schneider has let more then 1 goal in, oh well, still a great goalie.

When I saw that turnover in OT I automatically thought Bieksa! LOL.

How bout Kesler coming in flying from the neutral zone on the back check, picking off the pass, and then flying into the net, head hitting the crossbar lol.....he should get Selke trophy this year for that play alone!

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

Hawks got spanked by Calgary so they spank us to get revenge. Spiteful bastards.

Page 1 of 74 1 2 11 ... LastLast