Quantcast
~Mysterious force holds back Nasa probe in deep space... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ~Mysterious force holds back Nasa probe in deep space...

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

Default ~Mysterious force holds back Nasa probe in deep space...

I'm a bit of a nerd at heart, but I found this insanely interesting and thought others might as well.

Source

Mysterious force holds back Nasa probe in deep space
    A space probe launched 30 years ago has come under the influence of a force that has baffled scientists and could rewrite the laws of physics.

Robert Matthews, Science Correspondent
    Published: 12:01AM GMT 10 Feb 2002

Researchers say Pioneer 10, which took the first close-up pictures of Jupiter before leaving our solar system in 1983, is being pulled back to the sun by an unknown force. The effect shows no sign of getting weaker as the spacecraft travels deeper into space, and scientists are considering the possibility that the probe has revealed a new force of nature.

Dr Philip Laing, a member of the research team tracking the craft, said: "We have examined every mechanism and theory we can think of and so far nothing works.

"If the effect is real, it will have a big impact on cosmology and spacecraft navigation," said Dr Laing, of the Aerospace Corporation of California.

Pioneer 10 was launched by Nasa on March 2 1972, and with Pioneer 11, its twin, revolutionised astronomy with detailed images of Jupiter and Saturn. In June 1983, Pioneer 10 passed Pluto, the most distant planet in our solar system.

Both probes are now travelling at 27,000mph towards stars that they will encounter several million years from now. Scientists are continuing to monitor signals from Pioneer 10, which is more than seven billion miles from Earth.

Research to be published shortly in The Physical Review, a leading physics journal, will show that the speed of the two probes is being changed by about 6 mph per century - a barely-perceptible effect about 10 billion times weaker than gravity.

Scientists initially suspected that gas escaping from tiny rocket motors aboard the probes, or heat leaking from their nuclear power plants might be responsible. Both have now been ruled out. The team says no current theories explain why the force stays constant: all the most plausible forces, from gravity to the effect of solar radiation, decrease rapidly with distance.

The bizarre behaviour has also eliminated the possibility that the two probes are being affected by the gravitational pull of unknown planets beyond the solar system.

Assertions by some scientists that the force is due to a quirk in the Pioneer probes have also been discounted by the discovery that the effect seems to be affecting Galileo and Ulysses, two other space probes still in the solar system. Data from these two probes suggests the force is of the same strength as that found for the Pioneers.

Dr Duncan Steel, a space scientist at Salford University, says even such a weak force could have huge effects on a cosmic scale. "It might alter the number of comets that come towards us over millions of years, which would have consequences for life on Earth. It also raises the question of whether we know enough about the law of gravity."

Until 1988, Pioneer 10 was the most remote object made by man - a distinction now held by Voyager 1. Should Pioneer 10 make contact with alien life, it carries a gold-plated aluminum plaque on which the figures of a man and woman are shown to scale, along with a map showing its origin that Nasa calls "the cosmic equivalent of a message in a bottle".

Ah, we know so much and yet so little about our surroundings.. Truly, we don't know how much we don't know...
    dv/dt

My Ride
    a really big tow vehicle

cool. I'm interested to see what comes of this.
    1999 NBS Silverado 4x4 awaiting an extensive build.
    6" BDS Lift is in. 37" mud grapplers. Built trans(by me) 4.10's, shaved ls6 heads, comp cam. More to come.

Pretty cool if a new force is discovered.

My Ride

Originally posted by ZiG-87
    Ah, we know so much and yet so little about our surroundings.. Truly, we don't know how much we don't know...
    And in my mind, this is one of the most depressing yet inspirational and beautiful facts of life - that we will never ever fully understand our existence, nor come even marginally close to fully understanding the how, what and why's of our universe.

Edit: As much as I have dreamed of becoming a physicist, my inherent desire to fully understand everything I believe in would be detrimental to my success. For example, knowing that the theories I base my entire career on will most likely be completely abolished and altered in the future.
    Last edited by Pollywog; 09-19-2010 at 12:51 AM.

Originally posted by Pollywog

And in my mind, this is one of the most depressing yet inspirational and beautiful facts of life - that we will never ever fully understand our existence, nor come even marginally close to fully understanding the how, what and why's of our universe.

Edit: As much as I have dreamed of becoming a physicist, my inherent desire to fully understand everything I believe in would be detrimental to my success. For example, knowing that the theories I base my entire career on will most likely be completely abolished and altered in the future.
    Heck gravity is still just a theory, its source has still yet to be proven. And that is right in our back yard.

My Ride
    TDI

Quite an old article there... from 2002.

Still hasn't been explained though. Google "Pioneer Anomoly".

My Ride

My Ride
    95 240SX

Electromagnetic waves being produced by continuous solar activity has created a tether of electromagnetism (like a tractor beam) that is attached to the probe; which, in turn, is causing the probe to pulled towards the sun.

The resounding gravity waves from nearby planets and other solar bodies are keeping the tether strong through sheer forces.

Fucking scientists are dumb.

talkin out my ass here :P

Theories are meant to be tested by brilliant minds and changed as much as possible to become "laws" which can then even change. That is science and if you have a goal to understand things. It is the most amazing thing in the world to find something out nobody has known before or tested and when discovered will be used for generations. Only true genius's can make real contributions to science though IMO, most just become mundane workers for companies not following their true passion.

It is prob. a black hole. We are all screwed.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Durrrr, it's god, there's only one planetary system, he created it, and we're not allowed to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Durrrr, it's god, there's only one planetary system, he created it, and we're not allowed to leave.
    Close. Its not god pulling it back, its the devil.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Well you can start with these unsolved questions of physics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsolve...ems_in_physics

Originally posted by SJW

My Ride
    93 integra

That was an awesome post Pollywog. I love reading about stuff like this.

But I'm also quite a bit of a nerd haha.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-21-2019 at 05:29 PM.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

^^^^^^^

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Sugarphreak, you are my hero
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast