Quantcast
Do we have the worst paved roads in Canada? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have the worst paved roads in Canada?

Default Do we have the worst paved roads in Canada?

We can all agree the roads in Calgary are terrible. Deep potholes everywhere, so many uneven roads that are just clunky as hell. Take a look at Deerfoot (our biggest freeway), its horrible compared to the other main freeways in say Van or T.O. Clunk clunk, clunk clunk every 40ft. Just look at inbetween Glenmore and 17Ave S turnoffs heading south, the third lane is about 5inches lower than the other lanes. Absolutely ridiculous. Or how about the Centre St and McKnight N intersection?

It cant be good for the car! No wonder why body shops are so busy in this city cause the terrible roads here are destroying our tires and suspensions. People can try to deny it but horrible road conditions will single handedly destroy a car over time.
    Last edited by copynpaste; 09-19-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

Default Re: Do we have the worst paved roads in Canada?

Originally posted by copynpaste
    We can all agree the roads in Calgary are terrible. Deep potholes everywhere, so many uneven roads that are just clunky as hell. Take a look at Deerfoot (our biggest freeway), its horrible compared to the other main freeways in say Van or T.O. Clunk clunk, clunk clunk every 40ft. Just look at inbetween Glenmore and 17Ave S turnoffs heading south, the third lane is about 5inches lower than the other lanes. Absolutely ridiculous. Or how about the Centre St and McKnight N intersection?

It cant be good for the car! No wonder why body shops are so busy in this city cause the terrible roads destroy our tires and suspensions.
    On glenmore its called construction

But yes calgary has shitty roads I would have to agree.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

It's because they were repaving that section, that's why that right lane is "lower".

Our weather here in Calgary doesn't help either... warm, cold, warm cold all within a few days. Unless there is a replacements for asphalt... don't see much changing. I would've thought someone would've thought of something new for making roads by now.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

At least we're better off than the US:

Paved roads, historical emblems of American achievement, are being torn up across rural America and replaced with gravel or other rough surfaces as counties struggle with tight budgets and dwindling state and federal revenue. State money for local roads was cut in many places amid budget shortfalls.

In Michigan, at least 38 of the 83 counties have converted some asphalt roads to gravel in recent years. Last year, South Dakota turned at least 100 miles of asphalt road surfaces to gravel. Counties in Alabama and Pennsylvania have begun downgrading asphalt roads to cheaper chip-and-seal road, also known as “poor man’s pavement.” Some counties in Ohio are simply letting roads erode to gravel.
    Source: http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/why...way+%7C+OTB%29

My Ride
    Old Car

^ Actually there IS a replacement for asphalt... but is rather tad more $$. I've read somewhere that the new type is partly made with rubber participles or something - can't remember?. I believe many places in European countries has such roads. Not sure about how much difference between the 2 types in paving? I knew California and some states have concrete highways there. They last longer in better shape ... but never see that in city streets, I wonder why?

Yes, I've noticed many roads in Calgary are lousy ... I guess the road crew are too busy with their pet projects!
    Last edited by Vanner; 09-19-2010 at 07:54 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Default Re: Do we have the worst paved roads in Canada?

Originally posted by copynpaste

It cant be good for the car! No wonder why body shops are so busy in this city cause the terrible roads here are destroying our tires and suspensions. People can try to deny it but horrible road conditions will single handedly destroy a car over time.
    That wouldn't make body shops busy.

Originally posted by Vanner
    ^ Actually there IS a replacement for asphalt... but is rather tad more $$. I've read somewhere that the new type is partly made with rubber participles or something - can't remember?. I believe may places in European countries has such roads. Not sure about how much difference between the 2 types in paving?

Yes, I've noticed many roads in Calgary are lousy ... I guess the road crew are too busy with their pet projects!
    They did but it didn't work out very well. a few roads in the Edmonton area had it but have since been replaced with regular asphalt. The biggest problem was the use of old rubber. Old rubber does not bond to anything, you cannot melt it down etc. So it ends up falling apart more quickly than normal asphalt.

On a side note I find Edmonton has pretty terrible roads just as bad or worse than Calgary for the most part.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

nope it could always be worse, just thank the big guy upstairs you dont live in Winnipeg.....
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    UCF11

i agree deerfoot sucks right now but it will be nice once its all done

Yep...my car needs an alignment due to the uneven paving on Deerfoot.

Originally posted by Isaiah
    [B]At least we're better off than the US:
    Hardly.

I was amazed at how much road work was on the go down there this summer, and how nice the highways were, thru the 19 states I went thru anyways..

Also calgary isn't too bad compared to some rural roads, especially in the maritimes..

My Ride
    Axis powers

calgary roads are a god send compared to some of the roads in edmonton
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Hardly.

I was amazed at how much road work was on the go down there this summer, and how nice the highways were, thru the 19 states I went thru anyways..

Also calgary isn't too bad compared to some rural roads, especially in the maritimes..
    Did you read what came after the part you quoted?

Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Hardly.

My Ride
    impreza

After living in Edmonton and Toronto, Calgary doesn't know how good they have it.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by mac_82
    After living in Edmonton and Toronto, Calgary doesn't know how good they have it.
    Agreed.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Calgary > Edmonton > anywhere in Saskatchewan

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by mac_82
    or worse... Montreal.

My Ride
    V167

^Agreed. People need to stop complaining about how bad it is.

Roads in SK are HELL... especially in the spring time when everything starts to thaw out. The potholes keep growing and growing until they start eating up cars. Crazyness.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast