Quantcast
Electrical Contractor? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Electrical Contractor?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Electrical Contractor?

Hi Guys,

Got a little issue here. I never got a development or electrical permit for my basement (my fault) so I have a couple of plugs and lights covered up behind walls (which were new additions, everything else was there from when I bought the place. At any rate, I had an inspection for my garage done, and the electrician got nosey once we got to the basement as he saw all the development that was partially done. At any rate, he looked up if I had a permit for the basement and said that I don't (obviously) and therefore will be getting a "non-compliance" report in the mail in a week or so which goes against the house. There is no compliancy date on this from what he tells me, and that in the future if I want to resell the house it will show up.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any electricians who would be able to help me out and certify that my wireing is good. Most of my wireing is exposed and visible, it is just a few additions (2 plugs in 1 room, and 2 lights in another, everything else is exposedso a small job). Let me know. I wanted to get it done earlier too, but the pressure to get stuff done made me not want to waste time on permits ect, regret it now.

My Ride
    -10 F150 Lariat, -10 Fusion SEL awd

if it is all exposed, just pull a permit, and have the inspector come and check it. problem solved.
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

You have to get the city to inspect it to certify it a electrician does the work. We don't inspect for the city. If it's not complete and you need a electrician to finish something pm me I'll help you out

My Ride

From what the inspector told me, he said that if the work is completed by an electician then they only need to do one inspection, either rough or final. So from what I gather, an electrician has to take out an electrical permit for me and certify that my existing work is good (without ripping up the walls), and then the city comes in and does the final inspection once everything is done.

Does any of this make sence? This really got me all stressed out now, as ideally I would have liked to have kept the whole basement development under the table (partially to avoid additional taxes).

Anyone femiliar with the process or had it done previously?

My Ride

Originally posted by black_shadow_18
    if it is all exposed, just pull a permit, and have the inspector come and check it. problem solved.
    That's the problem, the wireing is not all exposed, there are a few places where the wires are already covered, that is mainly the problem, really don't want to rip apart something when it is already finished. Really though, how much is there to inspect...1 extra wire to an extra plug, don't know why they need to see all the stuff behind the scenes, it is a wire going through a hole in a stud..so much red tape

If you expose everything then you can get a Homeowners Electrical Permit and call in for the inspection yourself.
    If you leave part of it concealed, then you have to get a contractor to pull an electrical permit for you.

If you have any inquires call the city's Building Regulations line at 403-268-2738 -> option 2 and ask for an electrical inspector.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Maybe they are saying your final inspection is done but you need a rough. I'd say pull a home owners permit take all the drywall down and call for inspection. That's the way it supposed to be done. Then drywall goes up and you plug, switch and put the lights on and call for final inspection.