Quantcast
Sour-Dough Starter? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sour-Dough Starter?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Question Sour-Dough Starter?

Does anyone know any places in calgary that sell this?

I really cannot be fucked making my own, but the wife is wanting me to try it with the breville breadmaker we got last BF.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

.. it takes like 5 days and the world's tiniest bit of effort to start your own.. use whole wheat and you'll be set.. But doesnt using a bread maker kind of defeat the purpose of an amazing sourdough loaf?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Check on Facebook. Fiance said there are baking groups.

Homemade sourdough is so damn good. Plus fresh butter by whipping the crap out of heavy cream and some cheese cloth. Amazing.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Just grab a load from Sidewalk Citizen. It'll be massively better than anything you make at home and there's no hassle.

Maintaining a sour dough starter is like having another pet.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Hmm...do you have to pay for it?
    Ultracrepidarian

Best sourdough I have had is from Grainz Bread Shop. For the few dollars it costs for a loaf I wouldn't bother making my own. They also use a 3-day process if I am not mistaken, and for how cheap it is to buy there is no way I would do that myself haha.

I had a bread maker and while it made great bread and filled my house with an amazing smell, a 2lb loaf was just way too much for 1-2 people (better if you have a family I am sure). Also for the effort, which wasn't even that much, it was still easier to just buy fresh bread because of how cheap it is, and you have more choices for specialty stuff. I ended up selling it and just go to bakeries now.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-14-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Making your own is pretty rewarding. Baking with a cast iron dutch oven is definitely the way to go! I started a few months ago and I have been making a loaf a week ever since. The process is quite simple once you get the hang of it and there are some areas where you can cut corners to speed up the process.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Best sourdough I have had is from Grainz Bread Shop. For the few dollars it costs for a loaf I wouldn't bother making my own. They also use a 3-day process if I am not mistaken, and for how cheap it is to buy there is no way I would do that myself haha.

I had a bread maker and while it made great bread and filled my house with an amazing smell, a 2lb loaf was just way too much for 1-2 people (better if you have a family I am sure). Also for the effort, which wasn't even that much, it was still easier to just buy fresh bread because of how cheap it is, and you have more choices for specialty stuff. I ended up selling it and just go to bakeries now.
    There's 5 of us - we prob make 2 to 3 loafs a week. Takes 5 mins to setup and then 3 hours in the bread machine. We mainly do it because we can make all the loaves with lactose free milk.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

Baking is clearly not a hobby of yours LOL. Not mine either but seeing the process at home and fresh outta the oven -- pretty awesome and tastes amazing.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Baking is clearly not a hobby of yours LOL. Not mine either but seeing the process at home and fresh outta the oven -- pretty awesome and tastes amazing.
    I thought I was into it at one point, but the work/reward wasn't high enough for me personally. I used to make these huge loafs of 10-grain honey wheat bread that were amazing, but 80% of it would go bad or to waste each time. The GF makes sourdough in the Dutch Oven occasionally but it's a ridiculous amount of work and precision compared to the $5 to buy one, and you can buy them fresh/warm too. Probably for the best I don't have an abundance of of delicious white bread / empty carbs sitting around all the time anyway haha.

My Ride
    V8s

I don't have anything useful to add here, just that this is the only thing that comes to mind:

Name:  tumblr_opr0dsYIY71qd2pfqo1_r1_540.gif
Views: 124
Size:  2.92 MB