Quantcast
Oil Disasters of the World - Still happening - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Oil Disasters of the World - Still happening

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Oil Disasters of the World - Still happening

Just got this in the mail today. Any other oil disasters you know of that are still happening and not reported?

Now for our "What in the World" segment, if you thought the earth could perhaps breathe a little easier last week after BP finally got its massive leak under control, think again. While crude oil might no longer have been flooding into the Gulf of Mexico, chances are quite good that at that very moment oil was spilling on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. Oil spills occur in Nigeria just about every day - literally. Over 300 spills every year, and we're not talking about small spills. Environmental groups estimate that almost 600 million gallons of oil have spilled into the Niger River delta in the last 50 years since oil was first struck there. Now, I want you to think for a minute. Before the BP oil spill, what was the biggest oil spill you'd ever heard of? I'm guessing that what comes to your mind was the Exxon Valdez. Well, Amnesty International estimates that the equivalent of an Exxon Valdez-sized oil spill has occurred in the Niger Delta every year for the last 50 years, and much of that spilled oil has never been cleaned up, leaving undrinkable water and dying wildlife in its wake. Now, BP has set up a $20 billion compensation fund for fishermen and others affected in the Gulf of Mexico, but there are no comparable funds in Nigeria. What Nigeria does have is a generous profit- splitting agreement where the government of Nigeria gets about 60 percent of the oil profits and the oil companies get about 40 percent, and the government's money is supposed to get invested back in the delta. But, according to residents, the only thing trickling back to them is the leaking oil. So where has all that money gone? Well, the World Bank says that over the last 30 years $300 billion of Nigeria's oil revenue has virtually disappeared, probably to some Swiss bank accounts. The trickle down to the Niger delta is so small and the damage to the area so great that it has literally started a war. Local gangs, angry with the big oil companies, have been kidnapping and killing oil company executives and blowing up their pipes for years now. Shell, one of the biggest targets, says that 90 percent of their oil that was spilled in 2009 was due to sabotage or attempted theft, only 10 percent because of operational problems. A world away from the Gulf of Mexico, Nigeria and its spills might seem like someone else's problem. But, keep in mind, nearly half of Nigeria's daily oil production goes to the United States.

Last edited by kaput; 04-01-2019 at 11:37 PM.

So they are pissed off with the environmental impact so the bomb the shit out of infrastructure causing more spills? Seems pretty stupid to me.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Nigeria is in some serious environmental shit. The Government there is most likely too corrupt, and doesn't care about environmental regulations. Pretty sad.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by kaput
    I used to have some pictures of pipelines that had been illegally hot tapped that showed what this article is describing in Nigeria. I'm actually really impressed that they are able to pull it off without killing themselves judging by the quality of the work. I'll see if I still have them when I get home.
    They have killed themselves, many times.

In the last 10 years there have been around a dozen petroleum pipeline explosions - specifically in Nigeria; in 1998 over 1,000 people died as a result of ONE explosion - 300 were incinerated so badly that they had to be put into a mass grave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Je...line_explosion

Cause is usually something really stupid, like smoking a cigarette while collecting the product or using a torch to open the line.

My Ride
    Rev. Runner

Originally posted by spike98
    So they are pissed off with the environmental impact so the bomb the shit out of infrastructure causing more spills? Seems pretty stupid to me.
    Sounds like Dawson Creek...
    Hell Bent on the Worst Kind of Infamy

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by sputnik

And PS. People would rather source their oil from places like this over the oil sands? At least the oil sands are the devil we know, and can regulate. Not to mention the environmental impact of all the flaring that goes on in the Niger Delta of associated solution gas...
    Last edited by badatusrnames; 09-24-2010 at 02:03 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by badatusrnames

And PS. People would rather source their oil from places like this over the oil sands? At least the oil sands are the devil we know, and can regulate. Not to mention the environmental impact of all the flaring that goes on in the Niger Delta of associated solution gas...
    You cannot really protest against Nigera or Saudi Arabia. It's pointless.

But since we are peaceful and a trading partner, let's fuck those Albertans up.

My Ride
    W204

It's just too bad that Americans aren't told the truth about their oil, while Alberta is taking the majority of the rap.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by spike98
    The bombing there is happening as a result of government corruption. If you had bothered to read the quote, you'd notice the $300 Billion that has dissapeared in the last 30 years. They don't care about the environment.

I had heard about the explosions or people tapping into pipelines.

It's crazy because what I didn't know was that these huge oil spills have actually been occurring for 50 years. I really wouldn't want to see what it's like over there. I wonder if the government would listen under pressure of international groups.

My Ride
    2010 Transition Covert

To remind everyone: today is the 22nd anniversary of Exxon Valdez oil spill.

Original punitive damages charged against Exxon amounted to more than $5B.

For 19 years Exxon played the litigation game exhausting the plaintiffs.

The case finally settled in 2008 with the original amount reduced 10 times to $507M.

In 1989, $5B was Exxon's annual profit. For 2008, Exxon's profit was $45B.

The beaches around Prince William Sound are contaminated to this day while Exxon continues being the world's most profitable company.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Well, the World Bank says that over the last 30 years $300 billion of Nigeria's oil revenue has virtually disappeared.
    It went to pay the interest on loans that will never be repayed (some to the World Bank).

Break down of current debt situation in Nigeria -
    http://www.dawodu.com/okonjo2.htm
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I read a pretty good Stat in this months Discovery Mag;

At it's worst, the BP oil leak was spewing 51,000BBL/day - If it had gone on for 1 year straight it would equal the US oil consumption of ONE day.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by syeve
    I read a pretty good Stat in this months Discovery Mag;

At it's worst, the BP oil leak was spewing 51,000BBL/day - If it had gone on for 1 year straight it would equal the US oil consumption of ONE day.
    The oil usage of 8 million people in a day is actually quite a lot of oil.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 03-26-2011 at 07:06 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."