Quantcast
'Buy local' is too costly in too many ways - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Buy local' is too costly in too many ways

Default 'Buy local' is too costly in too many ways

Metro Calgary news story on 'Buy local' is too costly in too many ways.

Do you agree or disagree?

I know that in our shop (independent retail pet food/supplies) that we bought 3 years ago, we have made a move towards stocking considerable more Canadian produced products as well as more Calgary produced products. This was partially due to our personal choices as well as what our consumers wanted and better yet, some of the Calgary produced supplies are price competitive with products out of China as several layers of middle men are eliminated.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

I find that buying local is "usually" just paying more money for the same product. I never buy something only because of where it's made. I'll pay more for better quality, and if that happens to be local then great. If not, then thats life.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride

I love shopping at the farmers market and prefer fresh food, i honestly do so because it's better, not necessirly because it's "local"

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    I find that buying local is "usually" just paying more money for the same product. I never buy something only because of where it's made. I'll pay more for better quality, and if that happens to be local then great. If not, then thats life.
    /thread

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

I like buying local when I can because I like to see the product first hand and I also like the gratification of having what I just purchased right away. Unfortunately I don't like to spend 30 to 40% more on products because it's local.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

Okay, as an example - we had a lady (who lives in Calgary) approach us this week about stocking her made-in-Calgary dog/cat collar/leads. We took a look at her products and it matches the quality of anything else we have in the store (if not better) and it is price competitive plus she will custom make stuff that we can have in the customer's hands within a week or so. To me, that is a win-win situation as I don't have to deal with order minimums and I can get high quality locally produced product. At the same time, we are not going to stock her animal beds or other products because in our opinion, there are better products out there.
    Will fuck off, again.

I do not agree with the "buy local" concept but I will "Support local".

Calgary does not produce enough products to be able to buy local from sources. The "buy local" concept in the article talks about products produced within the region. Even with the fruit and produce example, I think the only thing I see produced around Calgary is mushrooms (there's the money's mushrooms farms just north of Calgary). All the other stuff comes from BC so I'm not sure how many people still consider that "local". The Calgarians at the farmer's markets are just the distributors and probably not part of the growing process.

I think we should weigh in when buying a product whether we support a local business owner vs sourcing over the internet and having it shipped here.

I agree that if the actual dollar value is small and the convenience is worth it, then supporting local businesses is definitely the way to go. Like others have posted, a large difference i.e. 30% is enough for people realize that the local business is not being competitive enough.

My Ride
    G6

I can only contribute from the background of someone who likes eating food. I will go with Farmer's Market products any day over the crap you can buy at Safeway or Superstore. It just tastes better.

As for products that I don't put in my body... whatever's cheaper.

Originally posted by speedog
    Okay, as an example - we had a lady (who lives in Calgary) approach us this week about stocking her made-in-Calgary dog/cat collar/leads. We took a look at her products and it matches the quality of anything else we have in the store (if not better) and it is price competitive plus she will custom make stuff that we can have in the customer's hands within a week or so. To me, that is a win-win situation as I don't have to deal with order minimums and I can get high quality locally produced product. At the same time, we are not going to stock her animal beds or other products because in our opinion, there are better products out there.
    How much of her materials are actually made here? Is she just importing everything from abroad and branding/packaging everything herself here? A locally produced product would imply locally produced through the entire supply/production chain.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I love all of the Chinese people I've ever met, but I avoid buying things from China. I harbour no guilt for that, because it's not harming the Chinese people I've met, it's hurting the ones I will never meet; the children, their parents in a far away land, who are being paid peanuts for make that product.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by Euro838

How much of her materials are actually made here? Is she just importing everything from abroad and branding/packaging everything herself here? A locally produced product would imply locally produced through the entire supply/production chain.
    In your opinion

I am not sure if I call it "local", but i support Canadian businesses. At least as much as I can.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride

I try to support local, but here is an example of why it sometimes doesn't make any sense to do so:

Back in 2007, was looking for a snowblower for my parents. Going rate was $2800-3200 for the model they needed
    Looked up the price at a Lowes just over the border, was $1800 for the same model.
    Went down and bought it, when loading it up we noticed the 'Made in Canada' sticker... now tell me why I had to go to the states in order to buy a Canadian product at a fair value? I also see it with dirt bike parts, why should I spend +50% just so I can buy a Canadian made product from a Canadian?

My Ride
    4x4

Dunno, we're getting completely away from buying local... Clothes - mail order from the states; walmart pricing, but top quality. Screw instant gratification - you know you're going to need some shirts/pants/shoes coming up - not hard to just order em to arrive in time.

And I disagree - all the best sh*t comes from china; Now there's a back to the future moment for ya... 90%+ of my electronics now are made in china, quality or just junky stuff - just different price points.

I'd really like to know why the US pricing is soo much lower on so many things. I was pricing out carhartt pants yesterday - mail order from the states 32.99 each (free shipping) - at MWW 69.99?! Why would I pay more than double?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by AndyL

I'd really like to know why the US pricing is soo much lower on so many things. I was pricing out carhartt pants yesterday - mail order from the states 32.99 each (free shipping) - at MWW 69.99?! Why would I pay more than double?
    I suspect a few reasons:

- Scale of market. When a US retailer sells 50,000 units of something in a year they can get away with a smaller profit margin than the Canadian counterpart (MWW for example) that may only move 5,000 units

- Taxes. I'm guessing that the overall tax component of the end price of the product is much higher here in Canada
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by Euro838

Probably none and no different than any other animal collar/leash out there, but I am still supporting a local company who is actually producing an end product in Calgary. And by the way, her leather is Canadian leather from Canadian cows and tanned here in Canada.

With regards to farmer markets - my wife runs one and surprisingly enough, if it is a Sunnygirl (an Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development (ARD) program) approved Alberta farmer's market (hers is), then there are specific rules regarding how much of the products at the market are Albertan as opposed to coming from out of Alberta, 80% grown or produced in Alberta is the rule if I remember correctly.

Of note, there are only four Sunnygirl approved farmer's markets in Calgary - Grassroot's Farmers Market at Northland Mall (18 years running), Hillhurst/Sunnyside Farmer's Market (reopened this past year after a short hiatus), Calgary Farmer's Market (6 years old and now moving to Barlow Trail SE next year) and Kingsland Market (in it's first year at the old GM dealership on Macleod Trail just west of the Cheesecake Cafe). Any other farmer's markets in Calgary are not Sunnygirl approved and as a result, can and do result in a lot of non-Alberta produced/grown products being sold.
    Will fuck off, again.

Buying local depends on what product I'm buying. Produce that has travelled thousands of kilometres to get here is often worse than that which has been brought in from Taber or BC. In that sense, I suppose it's as local as it's going to get. But a computer? A car? None of that is produced locally.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by CUG
    I love all of the Chinese people I've ever met, but I avoid buying things from China. I harbour no guilt for that, because it's not harming the Chinese people I've met, it's hurting the ones I will never meet; the children, their parents in a far away land, who are being paid peanuts for make that product.
    LOL thats such an ignorant thing to say

you do know that they have a much lower standard of living right? and that workers in factories actually make much more than the usual farmers in rural areas.....

Also good luck avoiding buying anything from China, its simply not possible, you are wasting your time.

My Ride
    //M

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I suspect a few reasons:

- Scale of market. When a US retailer sells 50,000 units of something in a year they can get away with a smaller profit margin than the Canadian counterpart (MWW for example) that may only move 5,000 units

- Taxes. I'm guessing that the overall tax component of the end price of the product is much higher here in Canada
    And then on top of this Canadian prices haven't really adjusted with the parity of the dollar either.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by CUG
    I "try" very hard not buy anything from China either. Just a personal choice I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast