Quantcast
Starting Problem - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Starting Problem

My Ride
    1985 Toyota Tercel

Unhappy Starting Problem

Having problem starting my car and not sure what the problem is.
    Car: 1985 Toyota Tercel.
    When I turn the key I hear a loud tack sound like the solenoid has moved to the end position. However the motor does not turn. At first the problem started intermittently. I would try turning the key and after several tries the motor would turn and the car would start immediately. It has now gotten to the point were I need to turn the key to the on position rapaidly many times before the motor will turn and start. Once the motor starts to turn the car starts immediately. I seems that as the starter or solenoid gets warmed up the cars starts, since the rapid turning off and on eventually starts the car. The dome lights do dim when I try to start the car. Is the problem the starter, bad connection or battery?

My Ride
    Triumph TR7, Buick Century, Ford Explorer

Exactly the problem I had with an Accord I had.
    It ended up being a loose connection to the starter. When the car would jerk from getting pissed off trying to turn the key forty times, the loose wire would touch the grounding where it was supposed to go and the starter would turn the engine over.
    Just a thought.

As Klutz said, could be an external connection problem. Could also be an internal connection problem. (Brushes) Try a search here and see what you can find

My Ride
    1985 Toyota Tercel

Question

thanks for your suggestions.
    I have an electrical tester. Could anyone provide instructions for testing the connections and starter/solenoid?

My Ride
    1985 Toyota Tercel

here is a quick link for help in diagnosis of startign problems. It didn't solve mine but may help others.

http://mypage.direct.ca/k/kdomries/nogo.html

ive had problems with my tercel also...it sucked

i had the same ticking problem in my civic, would take a few tries to get it going! ...the problem has gone away without having fixed anything though!!...try tapping ur starte with a stick...actually

My Ride
    1985 Toyota Tercel

Acutally I've had Toyota Corolla and 2 1985 Tercels. All have given me reliable service. As with most cars the problems are with water pump, radiator, hydrolic clutch for manual transmissions and starters.

Considering the low amount of maintenance I've done these cars are great and I continue to by used models.

Sorry you got a bad one.

My Ride
    1985 Toyota Tercel

Wink the answer I think

It appears the problem was caused by a BAD CONNECTION. The Negative post was covered with Blue stuff and the terminal connector been disolved except for a small 3/8" portion.
    I replaced the terminal with a brass connector. But apparently the connection still was not good. As time has gone by the connection is getting better because at first it would take a couple of fast turns of the key to make the connection and start the car. The last time I tried to start the car it started immediately.
    Lessons learned.
    -Take the time to analyze the problem first.
    In my case I did hear the solid tack sound telling me that the seleniod was probably working and hitting the end after moving. But it did not turn the motor so either the starter wasn't making contact with the circuit to turn the starter ot the current was'nt getting to the starter (a connection problem).
    The starting problem did not start all of a sudden. AT first it would start in a few tries and then took more and more tries. When it did start, it started imediately. Because it kept starting immediately I should have guess that it was probably not the starter. To check if it was the connection to the starter I probably could have directly connected the battery to the starter. There problably were some other test I could have tried too but I can't remember them all now. Hope someone can benefit form my experience.
    Since the car did start
    Check that the connection is good

hmm.. i have a 93 corolla, and it won't start at all!, i heard a very silent click, but no engine turnover, nothing. it got a new starter recently, could that be the same problem stated above? loose connection from starter? what else could it be if it wasn't that problem?
    (sorry.. pretty nooby with cars haha)

My Ride
    1985 Toyota Tercel

Question silent click

I'm not sure but first I would try to reconnect all the proper wires. Then I'd try using a battery from another car that works. I also found out recently that you can check out your starter by going to Checkers Auto parts store or maybe another store can check it.