Quantcast
Cars with good stock audio systems? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cars with good stock audio systems?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I think you have realistic expectations for a pre-packaged audio system.

If a G35 or a vehicle with BOSE is on your list, I can swing by and you can have a listen with your iPod or CDs. It has the "upgraded" BOSE system. It's adequate for a car system and I can certainly live with it but not like my headphones at home.

Matt
    Ultracrepidarian

Lancer with sun and sound package sound good Rockford fosgate 710 watt stereo with factory subwoofer.

My Ride
    TSX

Originally posted by TE4MFaint
    Everything stock is crap regardless.
    Its all paper speakers from factory, even if you pay for the upgraded "Bose" or "Pioneer" or "Alpine" or "Rockford" systems from factory,, it all crap.

I`ll put type S alpine speakers up against and "Bose" OEM upgraded sound system that will cost you $2000 anyday.
    You don't have a very good ear for sound quality if you think a Civic Si or RSX Bose sound system sounds good. I would take installing aftermarket speakers over a stock premium sound system any day even that includes me having to take up trunk space with a bigger sub.

My Ride
    E46 M3 Turbo, JZS161, UCF30, BP9, S30

I'm a stickler when it comes to audio.

For example my daily has a $4200 amp on the front speakers.

I can confidently tell you that ANYTHING Rockford or Bose is complete garbage.

But like i said....they have a wicked marketing team

Anything from Alpine that's aftermarket is also garbage. I would take my factory Nakamichi Lexus system over anything you can buy off the shelf at Future Shop / Visions etc..
    Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

Proud to be a "hater" that defends Authenticity

My Ride

Everything stock is crap regardless.
    Its all paper speakers from factory, even if you pay for the upgraded "Bose" or "Pioneer" or "Alpine" or "Rockford" systems from factory,, it all crap.

I`ll put type S alpine speakers up against and "Bose" OEM upgraded sound system that will cost you $2000 anyday.
    Not true.

Paper is light, efficient, responsive, but a lot less durable.

Wattage also means SFA.

The stock 20w nakamichi drivers you get in the Lexus models will only handle 20w, but have an efficiency of 105dB/1w compared to the 88dB efficiency of a dumpster worthy Alpine type S.

Alpine:
    Power (watts) - dB
    1 - 88
    2 - 91
    4 - 94
    8 - 97
    16 - 100
    32 - 103
    64 - 106
    128 - 109

Nakamichi:
    Power (watts) - dB
    1 - 105
    2 - 108
    4 - 111
    8 - 114
    16 - 117

So right out of the box the paper cone Nak would require less power and provide more volume than the plastic cone type s. Like i said wattage means SFA in terms of dB and quality.
    Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

Unrelated comment... Nakamichi (中道 for those that know Chinese) literally translated sounds like "middle road" (was thinking "middle of the road"), kind of an ironic name for a high end (I assume? I haven't heard of them really) audio company, haha.

But again, I'm not an audio snob, just want something that I won't have to upgrade and can cover the spectrum at least competently.
    Last edited by Pahnda; 10-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

JZS, what else are you running in there? I'd be very interested in hearing that system!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    FD3S, Mazdaspeed3, W140 S600 Coupe

Originally posted by msommers
    JZS, what else are you running in there? I'd be very interested in hearing that system!
    His system is pretty badass and sounds great But I'd throw mine up against his anyday

My Ride
    MY97 WRX

Originally posted by JZS_147

Anything from Alpine that's aftermarket is also garbage. I would take my factory Nakamichi Lexus system over anything you can buy off the shelf at Future Shop / Visions etc..
    I`ll take Alpine Type X Pro's, JL C5's, hell even Alpine Type R's over Nakamichi factory anyday.

I have been around this stuff enough to know the differences, I don`t need an explanation about efficiency.
    Point is, your factory mid/tweet combo is lacking significantly over aftermarket. Go buy Type X Pro's for $500 and listen to what solid inexpensive component set will get you.

I`ll take my single set of JL C5's up front, my ZR midwoofers in the rear over top of any factory set up ever, and the system cost me less than $1000.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Not true.

Paper is light, efficient, responsive, but a lot less durable.

Wattage also means SFA.

The stock 20w nakamichi drivers you get in the Lexus models will only handle 20w, but have an efficiency of 105dB/1w compared to the 88dB efficiency of a dumpster worthy Alpine type S.

Alpine:
    Power (watts) - dB
    1 - 88
    2 - 91
    4 - 94
    8 - 97
    16 - 100
    32 - 103
    64 - 106
    128 - 109

Nakamichi:
    Power (watts) - dB
    1 - 105
    2 - 108
    4 - 111
    8 - 114
    16 - 117

So right out of the box the paper cone Nak would require less power and provide more volume than the plastic cone type s. Like i said wattage means SFA in terms of dB and quality.
    Yes, this is true - its hard finding after market speakers with sensitivity anywhere close to that. Having a high sensitivity and excellent sound quality is a tough job, especially for mass marketed systems.

Unfortunately as you stated, they are much less durable, I replaced my rears last summer and when I lifted them out, they literally disintegrated in my hands, my car is previously from California so I am sure the heat had something to do with it. The fronts were fine though.

Which car are you running the Nak system?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride

I`ll take Alpine Type X Pro's, JL C5's, hell even Alpine Type R's over Nakamichi factory anyday.

I have been around this stuff enough to know the differences, I don`t need an explanation about efficiency.
    Point is, your factory mid/tweet combo is lacking significantly over aftermarket. Go buy Type X Pro's for $500 and listen to what solid inexpensive component set will get you.

I`ll take my single set of JL C5's up front, my ZR midwoofers in the rear over top of any factory set up ever, and the system cost me less than $1000.
    Audio is all preference. I have heard the Xpro's and they sound like a tin can to me.

If you've been around this stuff longer you should know better.

My Ride

Originally posted by Aaron@Tuner

His system is pretty badass and sounds great But I'd throw mine up against his anyday
    And you'd lose bitch

My Ride
    FD3S, Mazdaspeed3, W140 S600 Coupe

And you'd lose bitch
    Bring it on son!

My Ride

Originally posted by msommers
    Headunit:
    Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD
    (not happy, waiting for my P99RS)

Speakers:
    Focal 165KRXS up front
    Focal 130CVX rear (fill)
    Focal 33KX sub

Power:
    Steg Masterstroke MSK1500 (on front speakers)
    Steg K2.02 on sub

My Ride

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Yes, this is true - its hard finding after market speakers with sensitivity anywhere close to that. Having a high sensitivity and excellent sound quality is a tough job, especially for mass marketed systems.

Unfortunately as you stated, they are much less durable, I replaced my rears last summer and when I lifted them out, they literally disintegrated in my hands, my car is previously from California so I am sure the heat had something to do with it. The fronts were fine though.

Which car are you running the Nak system?
    My first gen gs300 came with a nak system. I had a set of Hertz components up front and I ended up reverting back to stock.

The nak system in my buddies 2nd gen is badass too. stock components, all he's done is put an amp on the sub, sounds better than any garbage you can buy off the shelf at future shop.

Headunit:
    Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD
    (not happy, waiting for my P99RS)

Speakers:
    Focal 165KRXS up front
    Focal 130CVX rear (fill)
    Focal 33KX sub

Power:
    Steg Masterstroke MSK1500 (on front speakers)
    Steg K2.02 on sub
    Respect.

IMO car audio is greatly affected by the law of diminishing returns. There is a $50K system in my car and although it sounds freakin' amazing, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between that and a really well done setup that cost much less.

As for stock systems, I've never been a fan of the BOSE stuff but it's usually better than the "standard" systems, assuming the BOSE is offered as an upgrade. The higher end German cars I find have very good stock systems. Also I think the Hyundai Genesis has the same system as Rolls uses haha.

Originally posted by freshprince1
    My brother just bought the Dodge Calibre R/T, which has the higher end sound system...say what you will about the car, but that stereo is awesome. I recently rented a Dodge Journey for 3 weeks with the same sound system and wow, it pounds.
    I think Dodge is still using lots of the technology from their past relationship with Mercedes (Harman Kardon)

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    IMO car audio is greatly affected by the law of diminishing returns. There is a $50K system in my car and although it sounds freakin' amazing, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between that and a really well done setup that cost much less.
    What car has a 50,000$ stereo system in it?

(unless its a competition ready aftermarket build or something)
    Last edited by revelations; 10-16-2010 at 09:29 AM.

My Ride
    MY97 WRX

Audio is all preference. I have heard the Xpro's and they sound like a tin can to me.

If you've been around this stuff longer you should know better.
    Yes I know car audio is all personal preference.
    I`m not retarded.
    But I also know one of the most BASS HEAVY speakers out on the market does not sound like a tin can, I`m assuming the person who tuned the Type X Pro's you listened to have no idea what they are doing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast