Quantcast
Define a long term guest in a rental agreement - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Define a long term guest in a rental agreement

Default Define a long term guest in a rental agreement

Just wondering what is classed as a long term guest in a rental agreement?

As in, I'm renting to someone who has had a guest stay at their place for 1 month so far. The rental agreement has two people on the lease, not the third person who is obviously staying there long-term.

The issue for me is I have seen the utilities go up in the past month. Is it unreasonable to ask them to cover the additional costs? The rent did have the utilz included (heat, h2o, elect.)

Do I attempt to add him to the lease and charge some sort of additional rental fee? Not sure what I can do legally.

My util bill on a 1950's, 1000sq ft house was:
    Jun $89
    Jul $140
    Aug $158

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I'd give them a choice.. pay increased utilities or evict them. Keep in mind if they pay the increased rate it could give them rights to have another room mate.

Is the place big enough to hold 3? Do you care about the extra wear and tear?

It is a 3 bedroom place but one room is reduced in size due to the up/down washer/dryer I put in so I have it advertised as a 2 bedroom plus office.

Yes, extra wear and tear for sure on the new washer and dryer (which I hear running everytime I'm around the place) among other stuff like the floors, etc.

Eviction may not really work as they have another month left before they move to their new house.

I just need to re-read my lease agreement and know what I am legally able to do. It would be nice to add him to the lease and charge him, even $200 I think would cover wear and tear, extra utilz, etc.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Just approach them and bump it up..... seems to suite everyones needs.

It was also suggested to me that it can be deducted from the damage deposit possibly (only if they broke the contract with this other person living there). That way, no one's pissed off right before they move out.

My Ride
    g2 teg

They have a month left? How long have then been there? I would just let it slide if they are out in a month. Especially if they have never been an issue before. No need to make it one.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by grampafunk
    They have a month left? How long have then been there? I would just let it slide if they are out in a month. Especially if they have never been an issue before. No need to make it one.

Been there 4 months.
    Guy "moved in" last month unannouced to me.

Exactly, if something goes sour you could have one hell of a cleanup on your hands when they do move out. Let it slide for the month.

If something happens and they dont move, then approach them with an increased rate.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

X2

Maybe you could mention it to them, but also how you aren't going to make an issue out of because they been 'great tenants'. Be friendly and courteous and let them know you'd appreciate that they have the place in spotless condition so you can show it and rent it out the moment they leave. Get on with the cash flow from some new tenants. If 200 of utilities is painful, think about how a month of vacancy is going to feel.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

It doesn't say they have 1 month left. It says the extra person has been there for one month. He does not mention they are leaving. I would approach and ask to cover the cost of utilities.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by theken
    It doesn't say they have 1 month left. It says the extra person has been there for one month. He does not mention they are leaving. I would approach and ask to cover the cost of utilities.
    Originally posted by mr2mike

Eviction may not really work as they have another month left before they move to their new house.

TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

I believe that unless you have stipulated a specific time period in the lease you are pretty much hooped. You need to be very specific when you write a contract or it becomes unenforceable. If you don't say that a "guest" may only stay 1 day/week/month then you have little to enforce in terms of the lease. Next time be specific with your terms so there is no opportunity for any ambiguity.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

Thanks guys, I might just suck it up for the last month. For next time, I have learned and will definitely have a part defining guests in the next agreement.

My Ride
    g2 teg

Good approach. live and learn.. thats what it is all about!