Quantcast
Office Jobs & Downtime - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Office Jobs & Downtime

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Default Office Jobs & Downtime

I've noticed a trend over the past couple years as I've been advancing through my corporate office job and I just wanted to see if any of you have come across the same thing.

I work in a large company specializing in technology and software, in Alberta, we're mostly Oil & Gas based, but it changes from region to region.

Since day one, everyone always plays up how busy they are, every chance they get. This is fine. But I've noticed something.

I've advanced through three different jobs now within the company, and am climbing higher. But at each step, I've noticed there ends up being about 2 hours everyday where I've got some downtime. I am proactive, diligent, and always have my work done ontime. I get great reviews and am proud with my progress.

Here's the thing. I've talked to people "above" me and always heard how busy they are. Having progressed to their level, I get there, and find that I'm not nearly as busy as they made me feel they were when they would talk to me about their workload.

So this leads me to a few possible conclusions, and I'd like your comments on them:

1) They are moderately busy, but put on the "uber-busy" face to protect their downtime and enjoy it. More downtime exists than they portray and they want to keep it that way.

2) The workload has decreased by the time I get there. In my honest opinion, I think it remains the same.

3) I have not stayed in oen position long enough to see the full cycle of business, i.e. i have not seen the full picture.

4) I do the work faster than the others thereby providing more downtime.

So have you guys noticed this phenomenon as well?

I often approach my managers and let them know I am "caught up". Sometimes they provide additional assignments, sometimes, they say to wait it out.

I don't want to be seen as a butt-kissing eager-beaver, but I don't want to get used to having this downtime...I fear it will make me accustomed to it, making me lazy.

Thoughts?
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

In every company I've worked for, the higher up you are, you do exponentially less work. That goes for everywhere, not just downtown. There are literally people getting paid $250k/year + the same or more in bonuses who go to a meeting or two every now and then but otherwise simply read the paper and surf the net. They usually get the credit for the work their employees do so it always looks like they are doing a good job to upper management.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Office Jobs & Downtime

Originally posted by freshprince1
    1) They are moderately busy, but put on the "uber-busy" face to protect their downtime and enjoy it. More downtime exists than they portray and they want to keep it that way.
    If you made a poll, this would be #1 winner.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I used to see this all the time. I was in the same situation, I used to think my superiors were always so busy that to stop by their office was gonna fuck up their schedule. Well... once I got their, I realized that most just put on that front so they can maintain their current workload, no more/no less.

But you do find that there are people that just take longer to do the same workload as others. I think I work quite efficiently compared to other guys I've worked with.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    In every company I've worked for, the higher up you are, you do exponentially less work. That goes for everywhere, not just downtown. There are literally people getting paid $250k/year + the same or more in bonuses who go to a meeting or two every now and then but otherwise simply read the paper and surf the net. They usually get the credit for the work their employees do so it always looks like they are doing a good job to upper management.
    This is true. But, it's a double edge sword... at the same time, they need to stay on top of things, keep the company progressing and when shit goes bad.... they'll be getting the hit from the Board.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

I will have to agree with #1 and #4

I cherish any downtime I can find. Especially on the days that it's hard to come by.

-Being organized, and focused really does help out a lot
    -Delegation and responsibilities: Stick to your job description and play by the rules.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

I've found with my career. Down time is sporadic. But I've learned to enjoy the few slow times I have and make sure I'm ready for the next big project that needed to be done yesterday

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I've also found that when I stick my neck out and say I need more work I get an absolute landslide of stuff to do, then I'm swamped for weeks. This makes me think that I've upset the establishment and that they're alomst saying to me, "Oh, you're all caught up hey? You want more to do hey? Well fine, bend over buddy, here it comes!".

I also agree with what was said about the higher-ups doing less and less. I think it a balance though. While they are required to do less and less foot work, their butt is on the line if something goes wrong. I also think they need to be on top of everything and be ready to act should something start to go awry, i.e. emergency meetings with clients - where they better know what is going on.
    Last edited by freshprince1; 09-29-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I leave when i have downtime. People hate it and think im lazy, and that i don't book enough hours (contractor), but i HATE booking hours to doing nothing, and taking up project hours i might need down the road.. I think i work faster than others and this is why i have downtown also, conceited or not i feel its true...

I also agree with the fact people make it seem like they're busier than they are to keep there work load pace. I'm like you and ask for more work when i run out and some people get annoyed/tell me to wait it out but i hate waiting. when i have nothing to do at work i sleep in and come in late and leave early because i need to have something to focus on or i get anxious.

i feel the same way as you man, that's just how real life works. gotta get used to it right? gotta fidn ways to spend the time that will benifit you while not making you lazy or turn into someone whos good at wasting time..

Edit: beyond doesn't count as a distraction either. it keeps me sane throughout the day haha.
    Last edited by JfuckinC; 09-29-2010 at 12:43 PM.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

90% #1
    10% #4
    Tim

Edited....wow I was in a bad mood when I wrote that.
    Last edited by Canucks3322; 10-05-2010 at 06:54 PM.

My Ride
    2004 Lotus Esprit

Default Re: Office Jobs & Downtime

Originally posted by freshprince1

A good part of my day is spent doing nothing, and it's exactly the way I want it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My boss knows if he throws shit at me, I'll get it done, regardless of how much work I have. Which makes me actually uber-busy. I can't remember the last night where I didn't have homework. It's been a while.

I do get to sneak in and read/post on beyond while I'm waiting for stuff though. But beyond is my other "job" so I could consider it working too.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Model S

You are probably not better/faster than everyone else. It's possible, but unlikely, and probably bad to draw conclusions like that. There are some dysfunctional companies, but generally at any respectable company, the lazy stragglers are in the minority and they don't get promoted much (save for nepotism). My guess is that the 'busy' people have been there longer, and a lot of people within the company depend on their knowledge.

Basically, the more people that find out you are competent, the more people you get that will never leave you alone. You waste a ton of time helping people, taking on side projects, and being asked to do more because the boss knows that you you've dealt with something similar and can probably do it the fastest (or at least not screw it up). It's easier to throw it on busy guy's plate than to make busy guy teach someone else, so that they can do it instead (which would of course be longer than if he just did it himself to begin with). If you come across people that rage at every meeting invite, that is most likely the position that they are in.