Quantcast
share your thai curry recipes! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: share your thai curry recipes!

Default share your thai curry recipes!

does anyone have any great thai curry recipes that they could share? we made this one tonight: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...n-Curry-103786 and despite tripling the curry paste and adding a chile from the garden, we still found it a bit bland. does anyone have any authentic recipes that are full of flavor?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I don't have any recipes for that but for more flavor.

Add lemongrass and Kaffir Lime Leaves
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Thumbs up for Kaffir lime leaves.... soooo good.

Some ginger would be good too.

You could cut back on the coconut milk as well, it will really kill a lot of spice(although it makes the curry creamy). Also is Thai curry paste green or red? Not sure I usually find red is hotter than green.

[url]

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Green curry is more milder in taste/flavor than red is. Since you said you added more curry paste and it was still bland, focus more on aromatics.

Try cooking the curry paste for a few mins in oil to develop some more caramel/darker notes.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Last edited by kaput; 04-01-2019 at 11:33 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Bay leaf and bamboo seems to be missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

So does anyone have any actual recipes that they can share? There are comments about kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, cutting back on the coconut milk, etc. etc., however without clear instructions (i.e. a recipe), those things don't really help an idiot like me. so does anyone have a recipe, so that someone who has no idea what they're doing can make some good, authentic curry?

thanks!

so no one can help out with a recipe?

Where's the best place in Calgary to get thai recipe ingredients? Galangal, Lemongrass etc etc

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I use Mae Ploy green curry paste since it contains ingredients used in making a genuine curry paste. You can find it in a plastic tub at Superstore and T&T. I don't find it too salty and a little goes a long way.

1 can coconut milk
    1 tsp oil
    2 tbsp thai curry paste (depending on how spicy you want it)
    2 Kaffir lime leaves (found in frozen section at T&T, you might be able to find them fresh)
    2 tbsp fish sauce
    1 tbsp sugar (if you can find palm sugar, use that instead)
    1 lb chicken, sliced thinly
    1 japanese eggplant or 1 medium zucchini, sliced thinly
    lots of rice!

Fry the curry paste in the oil over med heat till fragrant. Add 1/2 can of the coconut milk and stir till the oil separates from the milk. It might take a little while and the mixture will darken. Add the rest of the coconut milk, lime leaves, fish sauce and sugar. Add the chicken and eggplant. Cover and let simmer for 20 min.
    Its fast to make and sooo tasty. Have lots of rice to eat the sauce with.

I sometime fry some onion up in the oil with the paste to add a little more flavor. Green curry is my favorite but you can vary this with yellow or red curry paste as well. DO NOT cut out the lime leaves they are essential. If you can't find them, use lime zest instead.

Now I'm craving curry.....

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

just reading the title of this thread is killing me!! craving thai curry chicken sooo bad right now.. keep the recipies coming!!
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

Originally posted by lelalong
    I use Mae Ploy green curry paste since it contains ingredients used in making a genuine curry paste. You can find it in a plastic tub at Superstore and T&T. I don't find it too salty and a little goes a long way.

1 can coconut milk
    1 tsp oil
    2 Kaffir lime leaves (found in frozen section at T&T, you might be able to find them fresh)
    2 tbsp fish sauce
    lots of rice!

Fry the curry paste in the oil over med heat till fragrant. Add 1/2 can of the coconut milk and stir till the oil separates from the milk. It might take a little while and the mixture will darken. Add the rest of the coconut milk, lime leaves, fish sauce and sugar. Add the chicken and eggplant. Cover and let simmer for 20 min.

I sometime fry some onion up in the oil with the paste to add a little more flavor. Green curry is my favorite but you can vary this with yellow or red curry paste as well. DO NOT cut out the lime leaves they are essential. If you can't find them, use lime zest instead.

THANKS SO MUCH (I thought it was crazy that no one had any good recipes)!!! I'm gonna try this next week. I'll let you konw how it goes!

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Edit to my recipe. I checked the curry paste I have....it's actually Cock brand, not Mae Ploy but I've used Mae Ploy in the past and its good too.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Originally posted by lelalong

1 can coconut milk
    1 tsp oil
    2 tbsp fish sauce
    lots of rice!

Thanks... made for dinner tonight. Yummy T&T did have fresh kaffir lime leaves, my husband bought a huge tub of them for $1.90... don't know what to do with all of them.

I added way more veggies though... carrots, peppers, snow peas, cauliflower, mushrooms, eggplant, onions. Wish I could handle more heat as I would of like to of put more curry paste in for a more intense flavor but I am kind of wimpy. Is the yellow curry more mild?

[url]