Quantcast
Stealing Satellite: Is it wrong to you? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stealing Satellite: Is it wrong to you?

My Ride
    89 Fairlady TT, 01 MDX, 02 CBR F4i

Default Stealing Satellite: Is it wrong to you?

Hey,

I was wondering how many of you beileve that stealing satellite signals is actually wrong. I know it's illegal and punishable if you get caught. But there seems to be a lot of people out there doing it. In my neighborhood, everyone has Bell or DTV. I bet maybe only 10% of them are paying for it. I pay the minimum package myself.

In my opinion... I don't care. I hate Shaw sooo much it's not even funny. Digital cable prices are ridiculous. And to get a full package on Bell will run you over $100 a month.
    Come visit our new shop!

My Ride
    a wrx.

its only wrong if u get caught and that is pretty much impossible haha.

My Ride
    04 Skyline 350GT TT

but daddy you steal satellite signal..

No but really its kinda falls under the cdr and mp3 thing your pulling a signal fron the air it there any way right bemming down on your house?
    are they gonna pay us for the signal we are not using beeming down on our houses?
    i think the sat companies should say hey buy the siginal and you get a clearer picture and these benifets and so on. or you can get it for free but it will look like shit. Kinda like peasent vision 2,4,5 and the beatuiful channel 9

544 wrhp 555 ft/lbs torque @ 15psi

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

It is wrong, just like its wrong burning songs. But what are the chances of getting caught? So many people steal satellite signals, you have like 5 or 6 houses in a row with 2 dishes on their roof!! I saw a house with 3!!! It only sucks when they zap your card haha, but its ok because you can fix that. It wrong in many ways and its right in some

Like SinisterProbeGt said...I falls under the CD-R/RW, MP3 thing.

My Ride
    hearts on fire diamond engagement ring.

everyone says its not wrong because you cant get caught. well thats not the point at all. is it wrong to robb a bank if you dont get caught?, although i will be the first one in town to say im pirating all the way. but whats wrong is still wrong no matter what it is...
    Solid Gino......

like jeff said it is just impossible to get caught stealing those!
    obviously its still wrong but everyone more than 95% people having satellite do that!!
    they are way more cheaper if you go and actually buy the original signal from bell or something!

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 11:55 PM.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Is it wrong? Yes.

Would I do it? Probably.

Can you compare it to robbing a bank? No. When you rob a bank, you take something away from someone else. When you steal a satellite signal, the signal is there whether you take advantage of it or not. Just be aware that they do send ECM blasts that can screw up your card, but as has been said, that can be fixed

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Stealing signals.. hmm um no..
    If they don't want us to have them, they shouldn't beam them at us 24/7. I'm not too familiar with the encrytion they use (if any) but it seems to me that if they didn't want those who weren't paying seeing it, they might try and protect it a bit more. To me its a lot different than looking for mp3s and burning them.
    I do however, feel that businesses should not profit from it.

Theft costs the providers lost revenues that they would have made had the thieves legitimately subscribed.

However, can you consider it lost revenue if the thieves would never pay for it legitimately? I believe most thieves would not have pirate satellite if it were not available.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Strange thing is though, there is a whole new market created for these pirates in selling wiped cards and programmable cards... so those pirating have the dollars, but then again, will they cough them up for programming instead of hardware? My guess is not likely.

meh it skinda arguable i guess, its a good idea nonetheless

i say, if it was really that bad then there would be measure taken against it other than those stupid "stealing satellite signals is stealing too" commercials...like some sort of force field or somehting crazy liek that i dunno lol....i dont have sateliltemyself so im good to go (to heaven )

Default Re: Stealing Satellite: Is it wrong to you?

Originally posted by Neeper
    snip.........In my opinion... I don't care. I hate Shaw sooo much it's not even funny. Digital cable prices are ridiculous. And to get a full package on Bell will run you over $100 a month.

I can't afford a Ferrari so I don't buy one and I don't steal one. You can't afford digital cable, so don't buy it. Simple as that.

Of course it's "wrong" and illegal to do, but so what? Every one is selfish and want something for nothing and to sock it to the big company. Also it easier to do when cops don't go after you after you "steal". Steal a Ferrari and you will be looking over your shoulder for the cops. Steal music, ripped DVDs, satellite and software and no one gives a damn. Until they do, people will continue doing it until there is a detterant to stop, either dirtcheap prices or harsh consquences.

To answer the original question. It is wrong to me. Would I do it if I had an opportunity?....maybe.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Like a few people have said on here satellite signals are constantly beamed towards us. These signals are easy enough to grab and use for your benefit.

I have a system which could be characterized as "shady" but why do I have it? The programming choices offered by Starchoice and Bell Express Vu don't suit what I'm looking for. I'm a big sports and movie fan and with those satellite systems you're fairly limited. If either of these providers offered a more vast programming selection I would probably not have the system I have now.

I don't think it's wrong in any which way. I might feel a little guilty if I had a hacked Bell system because there's plenty of Bell users who pay a fair amount of money for their programming but I don't have a Bell system....mine is not available in Canada.

Doesn't matter how hard you try to get rid of it as well. They shut down Napster and look how many different programs came up to allow the sharing of MP3's, software, and movies. There's always going to be people that will want the illegal satellite systems and there's always going to be people that are willing to provide the illegal satellite systems.

My Ride
    2000 prelude

well technically it is wrong but so is "stealing/downloading" music on your computor.
    will that make you stop downloading music??
    Lifes a bitch so be a pimp

My Ride
    1991 Eagle Talon Tsi

Do you guys realize how many signals are slamming into your body RIGHT now?!

It doesn't fucking matter.

My Ride
    UA6

Of course it's wrong. Just because many people do it doesn't make it any more right. I wouldn't consider it a serious crime, but it is still illegal.

My Ride
    04 Skyline 350GT TT

Originally posted by EG STyLeZ
    Of course it's wrong. Just because many people do it doesn't make it any more right. I wouldn't consider it a serious crime, but it is still illegal.
    so is chewing gum in thai land
    and letting your horse deffaciate on the streets of calgary actually it will get you thrown out of town, But they have to give you a gun and food to last 2 days in the country.

544 wrhp 555 ft/lbs torque @ 15psi

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

How do so many people have stolen satellite? Is it really that easy to do?!? I'm just curious because I stay pretty up with technology stuff...even the shady side of things and yet I've never really known how to do it?

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by davidI
    How do so many people have stolen satellite? Is it really that easy to do?!? I'm just curious because I stay pretty up with technology stuff...even the shady side of things and yet I've never really known how to do it?
    Bargain Finder....I along with a fair amount of people I know that have an illegal system found them in the Bargain Finder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast