Quantcast
Circular Polarized filter recommendation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Circular Polarized filter recommendation

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Default Circular Polarized filter recommendation

I am looking to purchase a CLP this weekend to take advantage of the beautiful fall colors. I don't want to spend a fortunate, so my budget is approximately $150. What do you guys recommend? At this moment, I am considering this filter by Hoya

Hoya 72mm PRO-1D PL-CIR DMC

I have both Nikon CP's and the Hoya you linked too. They are both good, but I think the Nikon one is made better.

Image quality wise, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the decent filters, whether it be Nikon, Hoya PRO-1, Kenko, Heilopan, B&W, Rodenstock, etc. You would have to put identical images through some pretty tough scrutiny to see any difference, if at all. Just don't buy the really cheap crap and you will be fine.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Mitsu summed it up perfectly. My only comment is you might want to buy it in 77mm and use step up rings. 77mm is commonly the largest filter thread size outside of exotic telephoto lenses.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by blitz
    Mitsu summed it up perfectly. My only comment is you might want to buy it in 77mm and use step up rings. 77mm is commonly the largest filter thread size outside of exotic telephoto lenses.
    Which brings me to the next question, 'exotic' telephoto means 300mm+? or that includes 70-200mm?

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I have both Nikon CP's and the Hoya you linked too. They are both good, but I think the Nikon one is made better.

Image quality wise, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the decent filters, whether it be Nikon, Hoya PRO-1, Kenko, Heilopan, B&W, Rodenstock, etc. You would have to put identical images through some pretty tough scrutiny to see any difference, if at all. Just don't buy the really cheap crap and you will be fine.
    I was checking out the Hoya website, and they have the HD-series. I am assuming it is better then then PRO-1? Unfortunately neither Vistek or TCS appears to carry them (from their website).

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by HiSpec

Which brings me to the next question, 'exotic' telephoto means 300mm+? or that includes 70-200mm?
    70-200 uses 77mm, as does the 24-70...

most of the "exotics" use 52mm drop ins.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'd say Ryan is referring to exotic as very unusual. Pro lenses like the 70-200, 300 etc all have a 77mm ring.

I did the same thing with the step up rings awhile ago. Very handy. I think I have a Nikon one at home and I've very happy with it.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by msommers
    I'd say Ryan is referring to exotic as very unusual. Pro lenses like the 70-200, 300 etc all have a 77mm ring.
    the 70-300 is 67mm...the 300 2.8 uses a 52mm drop in...the 300 F4 uses a 77

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

70-300 isn't a pro lens! And I stand corrected on the 2.8 version
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

he didn't say anything about a 70-300, he said 300.. as in 300mm prime..

And I've always had good luck with Hoya filters in terms of build quality..
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

I was checking out the Hoya website, and they have the HD-series. I am assuming it is better then then PRO-1? Unfortunately neither Vistek or TCS appears to carry them (from their website).
    The high priced fixed aperture telephoto (zooms & primes) are generally considered "exotic". Their exoticness is directly reflected by the price, and often size haha. Thats about the best way I can think of to put it. Just like anything else that is exotic, pretty much. The really big lenses use drop in filters because their front elements are huge.

As for the PRO-1 vs the HD, I doubt you would notice a difference between them. I know the HD ones are supposed to have a coating to better repel water, grease, etc. but if you take care of you stuff that should be a non-issue.

I've bought all my filters in the past in the states for literally less than half of what they cost in Canada, but it looks like the prices are more similar now. Nothing wrong with the PRO-1, but if you are buying from Vistek I would try get them to price match it from somewhere cheaper. Vistek prices all products at maximum MSRP.

I wish 77mm was as cheap as my 58mm cpl . i got another question, why do they jump so high in price for the small jump in size?

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Supply vs demand. And the fact that they're for the big dollar lenses.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I've bought all my filters in the past in the states for literally less than half of what they cost in Canada, but it looks like the prices are more similar now. Nothing wrong with the PRO-1, but if you are buying from Vistek I would try get them to price match it from somewhere cheaper. Vistek prices all products at maximum MSRP.
    Right now I believe i'll be going with the step-up ring option so in case in the future I have another lens that can utilitize the same size filter.

Unfortunately, only Vistek carries the PRO-1 series locally, so I have no price to compare with. However, CameraCanada.com is about $20 cheaper then them. But I doubt they will do price match from an online retailer.

Right now I believe i'll be going with the step-up ring option so in case in the future I have another lens that can utilitize the same size filter.

Unfortunately, only Vistek carries the PRO-1 series locally, so I have no price to compare with. However, CameraCanada.com is about $20 cheaper then them. But I doubt they will do price match from an online retailer.
    77mm with rings is the best way to go, for sure.

Give TCS a call, their website isn't always that great for listing all the little stuff they have in stock.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I was talking about the likes of 200mm f2 and such

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by blitz
    I was talking about the likes of 200mm f2 and such
    also a 52mm drop in...

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

So? I'm just saying that lenses like it don't use 77mm filters.

Except as I'm finding out now the Nikon filters seem to work best for the drop in style it would appear. Not that I'm complaining, they seem to fit better for some reason.

Here's a more scientific test from Lenstip

and the prices at Maxsaver are hard to beat

i find with filters, an end user usually doesn't have enough filters to compare with, or they're using it on different lenses/bodies. only consensus i've read repeatedly is how easy it is to clean b+w filters.

but hey, if someone has a whole bunch of the same type of filters with the same thread to test on the same lens/body, i'd love to read another review

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

I would buy the HD over the PRO-1. They are built much tougher, and I have heard they are much easier to keep clean compared to the perma-fingerprint PRO-1 coating. The light transmission on the HD is apparently a 1-2 stop increase over the PRO as well, which can be a good and a bad thing depending on what you're doing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast