Quantcast
Computer powers down every time I watch a movie - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer powers down every time I watch a movie

Default Computer powers down every time I watch a movie

Ok so I have a tough one for you guys (maybe not haha).

Every time I watch a movie/TV show on my computer, my computer randomly powers down either right when I open the player, or shortly into the show. I'm not talking about a reset, but a full power down, I need to hit the master power to turn it back on. It's as if I yanked the power cord out of the wall.

The problem occurs no matter which player I use (VLC, MP Classic, Windows Media Player, etc.) and no matter what the file extension (.avi, etc.). If I play a media file of any kind with any player, my computer powers down.

It never used to do this until a couple days ago, and my computer will stay on for days, even weeks, until I turn it off myself as long as I don't watch any media. So there are no other circumstances I am aware of that makes my computer power down like this.

The only thing I can think of thats changed is a couple windows updates. I have the latest graphics card drivers (nvidia 8800 GT), and I am running windows 7 home premium.

Any suggestions or any tests I can try?

Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    FD1

I think its your video card
    sounds like it might be too weak, my computer use to do that as well

double post
    Last edited by BigMass; 10-07-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Originally posted by desto2para
    I think its your video card
    sounds like it might be too weak, my computer use to do that as well
    his video card is fine. 8800 gt is not weak. Could be a lot of things but i'd suspect overheating. When was the last time you dusted it and blew all the dust from the GPU and CPU heatsinks/fans? I guess easiest way to test it is to play a graphically intensive game and see if it happens. Monitor temps and frequencies with GPU-Z

I just played some CoD 4 on very high settings with no problems. I would imagine that puts much less strain on the video card than a poor quality non-HD TV show.

I haven't dusted it in a few months probably, I could open it up and see if anything is clogged. If it was over heating though, I can't get it to do so while playing games on max settings, but if I so much as open a media player it's game over.

GPU-Z shows my temperatures as 72 degrees as reported by the graphics driver, and 64.3 degrees as reported by the "sensor chip". Fan speed is running at 60%, 1600 RPM.

EDIT: 2 seconds after I posted this message, my computer powered down, and I wasn't watching a movie. That is the first time that has happened. If I am not doing anything though, and the computer is just sitting idle, it will stay on for days.

I think the next step is to get some compressed air and give everything a really good clean. If that doesn't work, I would agree that it's probably either my graphics card or power supply in one way or another.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-07-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Well it's likely one of the following:

1). Flaky power supply which is dying when you are drawing too much power
    2). Something is overheating and forcing a power down could be your processor/chipset/graphics card.

I would take a nice close look at your power supply to make sure the fans in there are still spinning and look at all your other fans as well... As suggested check the operating temps with cpu-z. If it comes down to replacing parts pull some spare parts from another computer and swap parts till you find the culprit which hopefully won't be the mobo's chipset.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Check all your fans to make sure they aren't clogged. And also check all the caps on your MB to make sure none of them are bulging or leaking.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

power supply too weak, overheating, or videocard dying. power supply is your most likely problem

My Ride
    is broken

agree power supply. they can still handle the load but its the sudden change in load that causes it to shutdown. Clean the PSU fans as well. also how old is the power supply? if its a no name brand over 5 years its probably done
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

Originally posted by Altezza
    Check all your fans to make sure they aren't clogged. And also check all the caps on your MB to make sure none of them are bulging or leaking.
    bingo. Check the caps on the MB... seconded

powersupply. My computer i have now did the EXACT same thing. I upgrade my powersupply and now I no longer have poweroffs! buy a new PS! i saw a 600watt on kijiji for $60

Thanks guys, after the power down yesterday when I was just on Beyond (not other programs open), I am starting to think power supply more so than video card. Also since I tried some CoD4 on high settings with zero issues.

The computer is 4-5 years old, and the power supply is a brand name one like OCZ or Antec, I forget which. Probably Antec though because my case is Antec and it came with the case.

I'll clean the computer thoroughly this weekend and if the problems persist I'll probably try pick up a decent used one like Evolize suggested.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-08-2010 at 09:09 AM.

My Ride
    '16 Tacoma TRD Sport

Antec has been generally crappy the past few years.. they don't last very long, especially if they are ones that are bundled with their cases. I have had great success with Corsair power supplies.

Originally posted by takkyu
    Antec has been generally crappy the past few years.. they don't last very long, especially if they are ones that are bundled with their cases. I have had great success with Corsair power supplies.
    Yeah I was actually looking at these:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...18780(ME).aspx

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...29784(ME).aspx

I'll probably go pick one up this weekend if cleaning out the dust doesn't work. I have 7 days to return it if it turns out that the PS isn't my problem anyways.

I think my power supply was supposed to be pretty good at the time, it was a fairly expensive case/supply bundle.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-08-2010 at 10:27 AM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I concur with the power supply issue.

My computer would run just fine until I used the graphics - at which time it should shut down whenever it felt like it.

Replaced the power supply, no problems.

Mitsu: Check to see how powerful your current supply is. I still have the one I took out, and if you have less accessories it might just be enough to power yours. If so, you can have it for free.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I concur with the power supply issue.

My computer would run just fine until I used the graphics - at which time it should shut down whenever it felt like it.

Replaced the power supply, no problems.

Mitsu: Check to see how powerful your current supply is. I still have the one I took out, and if you have less accessories it might just be enough to power yours. If so, you can have it for free.
    That would be awesome, thanks. I will check tonight. I'm pretty sure its at least a 650w though.

OK so I cleaned out my computer with some compressed air, it really wasn't bad at all, but there was some dust. All fans are working properly.

The problems still occurs but at least for now, I can only get it to occur while using VLC media player. Media Player Classic seems to be OK (so far).

Does everyone still think its my power supply even though I can make my computer power down almost on command using VLC media player? I'll leave it on all day today too and see what happens when I'm gone.

Oh also my power supply is a 700W OCZ.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    OK so I cleaned out my computer with some compressed air, it really wasn't bad at all, but there was some dust. All fans are working properly.

The problems still occurs but at least for now, I can only get it to occur while using VLC media player. Media Player Classic seems to be OK (so far).

Does everyone still think its my power supply even though I can make my computer power down almost on command using VLC media player? I'll leave it on all day today too and see what happens when I'm gone.

Oh also my power supply is a 700W OCZ.
    so you checked the caps and they were all fine?

Originally posted by BigMass

so you checked the caps and they were all fine?
    Damn I forgot to check, I will tonight. Nothing jumped out at me when I was cleaning it though.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

So you can play a graphic intensive game and not have it power down but when you play a video it shuts down?

As stated several times I would lean towards PSU going, CPU overheating or bad RAM. Upside is most of these things are easy to check.

Just to rule out an option can you tell me what driver you are running, I know you said the latest but if you know the version number that would be great.

What CPU?

Additionally make sure you don't have your computer to auto restart on halts

Click Start, then right click MY Computer
    Click Advanced System Settings in the left of the window
    Select the Advanced Tab
    Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
    Uncheck Automatically Restart in the System failure section

This might bring some light to a driver error or similar that happens but you are unable to see do to a quick restart.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast